Countersurfing

Steph M

Countersurfing? Pfft walk in the park for Stanley :laugh:

Stan is a fridge raider, oven opener, cupboard rummager you name it he'll get into it. He destroyed one toaster by dragging it off the bench and licking the slots for crumbs, he would pull plates out of the sink which would smash, he would open the grill, pull the griller tray out and lick it. In my last house I had no way of blocking off the kitchen so I have two fridge locks, in case he got one off and I would leave the saucepan cupboard open so he could rummage around to his hearts content and like Aussie3 I would leave NOTHING on the counters, kitchen bin locked in the bathroom.

In my new house I have a kitchen door...checkmate Stanley :D

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not even always food, it's things that interest her. Can be clothing, boxes, a garden pot..haha. I like the image of an IG scoffing a muffin, dogmad! Haha!

And Stan is just my hero. I bet he spends his days cursing out that door and trying to will it open! Haha.

Stan is a fridge raider, oven opener, cupboard rummager you name it he'll get into it. He destroyed one toaster by dragging it off the bench and licking the slots for crumbs, he would pull plates out of the sink which would smash, he would open the grill, pull the griller tray out and lick it. In my last house I had no way of blocking off the kitchen so I have two fridge locks, in case he got one off and I would leave the saucepan cupboard open so he could rummage around to his hearts content and like Aussie3 I would leave NOTHING on the counters, kitchen bin locked in the bathroom.

:laugh: :laugh:

And I thought Tilba was bad. I used to have one of those swing top tidys that I sticky taped so she couldn't open it. Not very practicle. Now I have one of those kids wheely bin, so far she hasn't tried to open it. As for counter surfing she usually brings what she's stolen into the loungeroom where I am to eat or lick out her spoils. Stupid dog. Or she takes it to her bed. When I used to feed tin dog food she'd get the empty tin & lick it clean, she has licked out butter containers - thankfully they were nearly empty. OH has left a sandwich on the coffee table a few times, silly man, will he ever learn? She's helped herself to an open ham packet, empty cat food pouches.

She's a long dog & just stands on her hind legs & reaches whatever may have been left out. I try my hardest to put things away but living with 3 males it doesn't always happen. She even once took a couple of chicken pieces from under the grill. :eek:

We live next door to my mum & she always has a supply of treat strips for them. She was amazed when looking after her that she ate the whole opened packet. I bought some treats from a food vendor at the Dogs NSW open day, not cheap, gave the dogs one each & by the next day the rest were all gone.

She's always at the bathroom door if it's been closed, we feed the cat in there, & sniffs around the empty bowl & under the mat for a forgotten piece of kibble.

Like someone said it's good having a small dog, don't have the same problem with Panda. He won't even go into the kitchen, he has an aversion to vinyl & tiled floors.

ETA the dogs are always outside when no ones home.

Edited by luvsdogs

I love Stan! :laugh:

I did see a youtube video once, where someone stopped a dog from kitchen bin raiding by using a motion sensor air freshener spray. Dog wandered near the bin, would get a squirt of pine forest or whatever, and stayed well clear.

Not sure if that would work to stop bench surfing? Personally I would probably worry that the dog would get sprayed in the eyes...

Maybe a motion sensor alarm producing an unpleasant noise (for the dog, not the neighbours!laugh.gif) is worth a try.

My mother, who only ever had small dogs, left her breakfast to answer the phone once and didn't push in her chair. She came back to a pug on the table finishing the last of her bowl of Wheaties!

It could be worse ... my current Italian Greyhound occasionally brings in a poo for a picnic - she might have this on a dog bed or on my sofa. It was on a dog bed today which is now in for a soak in the laundry :eek:

As I have other dogs there is no way I can lock them all out. I'm mortified when she does it and there appears to be no cure - I've done the pineapple thing and she stops for a while and then starts again.

I'd take a bin raider or counter surfer over this, any day!

Maybe a can of air could be rigged into an air freshener sprayer? I was thinking an alarm, but would have to look for one with a single bleep not ongoing, we might be very unpopular!

Very funny! Pugs have a lot of spunk and seem to love their food, bet he/she wasn't to be trusted again!

It could be worse ... my current Italian Greyhound occasionally brings in a poo for a picnic - she might have this on a dog bed or on my sofa. It was on a dog bed today which is now in for a soak in the laundry :eek:

As I have other dogs there is no way I can lock them all out. I'm mortified when she does it and there appears to be no cure - I've done the pineapple thing and she stops for a while and then starts again.

I'd take a bin raider or counter surfer over this, any day!

Gus does this. Oh it's vile! And then he just wants to kiss... :scold:

Stan - meet Dizzy. Nothing is left out here. Ever. Little $h!t can even open cupboards...

DSC02584.jpg

DSC02585.jpg

DSC02586.jpg

I also vote for something nasty left on the counter. A pringles jar three quarters full of coins is tall and easily knocked over and makes a fair racket.

Motion sensor water spray for cats might work, too...

Foxy got a big mouth full of balsamic vinegar when she had her first and only go at stealing something off the table. She must have thought only delicious things come in big metal bowls but this one turned out to be an almost empty salad bowl... I think she didn't stop sneezing and spluttering for 15 minutes at least

Edited by BlackJaq

:offtopic:

Dougal Cat opened the oven door the other day - and Stan immediately popped in to my mind!!! LOL

:laugh: :laugh:

:offtopic:

Dougal Cat opened the oven door the other day - and Stan immediately popped in to my mind!!! LOL

Stan is so awesome :) Shouldn't ever spend time swapping ideas with my Ridgy though- she can (and does) open most of the doors in our house (including the front door). A few weeks ago I let her out for a pee- it was raining outside, which she hates- so she gave me a big *sideye*, jumped off the side of the verandah, and walked around the front (all undercover, carport area) opened the front door (!) let herself back in, and jumped on the couch with a big smile. No pee. No rain on my back, thanks Mum! :) Was pretty funny. She is also a dedicated countertop cruiser and bin opener. I'm just in the habit now of ensuring everything is out of her reach if I'm leaving the kids inside (they are outside usually during the day).

DH eventually learned not to leave anything on the countertop after he lost a kilo of beef jerky he'd just made. He waked into the kitchen just in time to see Brandi taking the last piece off the stove where it had been cooling. Insult was added to injury when he discovered that that much jerky has a quick and effective laxative affect. And he had to clean it up.

However, we sorted it out accidentally when Brandi tried again and succeeded in pulling down a couple of empty stainless steel bowls and the stove top onto tiled floors. The resulting noise sorted things out.

So I'd go with the Pringles tube or can of coins which is tied to whatever the dog is after so it makes a racket when it falls.

Stan - meet Dizzy. Nothing is left out here. Ever. Little $h!t can even open cupboards...

DSC02584.jpg

:rofl: Stan & Dizzy :rofl:

But seriously, your cat is broken!! Raw pumpkin???? :laugh:

DSC02584.jpg

:rofl: Stan & Dizzy :rofl:

But seriously, your cat is broken!! Raw pumpkin???? :laugh:

Believe me when I say that's not even the half of it :laugh:

A few weeks ago he pinched an 8 pack of toilet paper as I was unpacking the shopping. Dragged it into the laundry and fiercely guarded it from the other cats and dogs who were curious about what he had. I had to lock everyone out and draw on some previous training I'd done with him to "give". It took him a little bit to realise it wasn't really worth growling and hissing over.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Oh some posts have made me lol.

My little devil likes to take off with dirty socks, underwear and bras.

Our itty bitty bathroom (and laziness) means we throw our clothes in the bathtub till we take them to the laundry... well the SBT has figured out she can jump in there now and dig for the best buried treasure! :laugh:

I dread the day she starts on the kitchen bin. Coffee and bedside tables are her recent conquests