Jerky Made In China

lillypilly

I dont feed my dogs treats much but I bought a whole ox heart the other day and made about half of it into tiny dried chips to use as training treats for my new puppy. I just sliced it thinly, blanched it and then dried it in the oven. It's not hard.

Stuiped me didn't think of the oven! I have had a dog before affected by virbac dental treats which where recalled, to get my money back on blood tests they required you to sign a form that resolves them of all responsibility and you could not take any action against them. These treats were made in Thailand.

what will it take for people to realise the risk taken when products produced in china in particular are consumed???

there is a regular stream of reports of toxic cheap ingredients put into products as filler .... dog treats, toothpastes, infant formula etc

make your own treats

H

In case you miss the Made in China, here's the BAD LIST

post-8994-0-58934800-1382958559_thumb.jpg

They are all American brands.

The OP was an American article.

You get American brands in Oz. You need to check ... some 'American' brands are not made in the USA (eg, many, many, AKC products are made in China).

In case you miss the Made in China, here's the BAD LIST

post-8994-0-58934800-1382958559_thumb.jpg

They are all American brands.

The OP was an American article.

You get American brands in Oz. You need to check ... some 'American' brands are not made in the USA (eg, many, many, AKC products are made in China).

None of these brands are available in Australia.

Would be interesting to know how many of the dogs affected by the products are pedigree as opposed X breeds.

There are a couple of therory's associated with the 'jerky' products which are mainly fowl based (chicken/duck) one is the initial salmonella or other bacterial contamination of the flesh prior to curing, and secondly the possible use of certain curing agents involved in the process i.e. glycerol (derived from potentially toxic plant and is a sweetner simalar to saccharin) and this product will definately affect humans if consumed in abundance as it does with dogs by causing renal and gastrointestinal problems. Another is the deadly Xylitol which if substitued for Glycerol is certain death for dogs :( Then there is the third possibility any dog that already has compromised renal function often seen in elderly dogs and those who have undiagnosed Renal dysplasia (RD)and these conditions are not known to the owners will certainly become unwell and possibly die if challenged often enough with these 'jerky' products.

I personally will not purchase any tinned wet food (who knows what's in it) or dried food that is imported from anywhere as it is subjected to stringent chemical additives to ensure no harmful grain fungi or live pests are brought into Australia, these products leave residue which is toxic to dogs, we cannot always be certain of the country of origins control standards on packaging and source of supposed content.

As for 'treats' these are given in moderation and are all natural products home prepared.

There are several websites which can be accessed to explore more on any of above:-

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-news/chinese-dog-treats-glycerin/

http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/SafetyHealth/ProductSafetyInformation/ucm319463.htm

http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/xylitol-toxicity-in-dogs/4340 (Xylitol)

http://www.dogenes.com/rdfacts1.pdf (Renal dysplasia)

Thanks :) I don't like to give bones as they make him a bit sick and they scare me. I wonder about the beef tendons and whether they may be a bit sharp as well?

I don't understand the question ( not yours) about the number of cross breeds versus pedigree who are affected :confused: Why would there be any difference?