Told She Was Desexed.. Find Out She Isn't. Accidental Mating

Wilfred

Hi Everyone,

This will be a horrible first post but I am at a loss and not sure where my head is and I would like some impartial advice.

Three weeks ago my partner and I were offered a lovely well bred Boxer bitch, who, unfortunately had been left to her own devices and was never trained and the owner wishes to discard her and this is where my debarkle begins..

We accepted the bitch into our family as our male Boxer (entire) was exceptionally lonely and he adores her. Now... my debarkle is that we were told she was desexed and I never thought to questioned it.

Well... it turns out she isn't. And after coming home to two very "active" dogs, I'm not sure what to do. I believe she could now well be pregnant and I have no experience (nor desire) with breeding.

My options are obviously abortion for her (if possible) or letting her have them.

Yes, I realise that we are, in the first instance, responsible for keeping an entire male with no intention of breeding.

Luckily, i suppose, they are both lovely natured dogs, we have been approached on many occasions to use our male as a stud by Boxer breeders, and they both do not have any medical issues apart from an occasional skin allergy.

I'm open to both options, my heart wants a pup from my male as i love him dearly, but my brain is saying abort.

What would you do... and why?

N.B Both dogs are 2.5 years of age, both papered if that makes a difference. This would be her first litter

I am taking both dogs for a checkup next Tuesday (Male due for vaccs and would like to have the Bitch checked up)

Thank you

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Were they tied?

Even if she is in season and is in fact in whelp there is no issue at all with waiting until about 4 weeks along and getting her desexed which is what I would be doing. Breeding is not for the faint hearted and best left to the experts who have done all the appropriate health tests. Just enjoy your pets for what they are, beloved pets

Oops forgot to add that part, we had not noticed before hand.

I contacted the vet via phone and was told it was highly likely she had had a silent heat.

Her lady parts appeared slightly swollen, but i had not noticed that before I witnessed them at it

I'm not sure if I missed any other signs, but I was not aware i had to be looking so its possible i have missed something

Edited by Wilfred

Is she actually in season? It is unusual but not impossible for a dog to mate a bitch when she's not in season - it's also possible for a neutered dog to mate a bitch (in season or not, entire or not) so this actually doesn't mean much.

If she is in season smack yourself sharply over the head with a newspaper for leaving her with your dog.

She can be spayed while pregnant so that can be taken care of.

How to know if she is a tart or actually in pup? Now that could be a bit difficult - I suggest you shop around for a "breeder's vet" in your area - so one that is used to dealing with bitches and their weird ways - and get an appointment there. Don't just assume any vet will do, I have had the lovely experience of dealing with a vet who had been practicing for 4-5 years who had NEVER had an (adult) entire dog or bitch on her examining room table.

Someone here will be able to point you in the right direction if you mention roughly where you live.

Edit: silent seasons aren't all that common - perhaps they are more common in Boxers???? - being slightly swollen could mean anything up to and including a spayed bitch who is just reacting to the presence of an entire male in a new environment.

Edited by Sandra777

Yes, I agree, it is the right thing to do to abort if she is is pregnant and have her speyed. Thank you.

How soon will the vet be able to tell she is pregnant and the procedure can take place?

I definitely did not know she was in season, i am very embarrassed about the whole ordeal to say the least. I have never wanted to breed, and definitely would not have taken her if i had known she was not desexed.

I am still trying to get in contact with the lady who gave her to me to confirm.

Were they tied?

Even if she is in season and is in fact in whelp there is no issue at all with waiting until about 4 weeks along and getting her desexed which is what I would be doing. Breeding is not for the faint hearted and best left to the experts who have done all the appropriate health tests. Just enjoy your pets for what they are, beloved pets

Thank you for your advice

She can get an injection immediately to terminate the pregnancy (she needs 2 injections 24hrs apart).

Definitely try to confirm with her previous vet whether or not she is spayed as I'm sure you wouldn't want to put her thru unnecessary surgery. If she is not spayed then desexing ASAP is the best option.

Pregnancy can be detected 4 weeks post mating by ultrasound.

That's incredibly irresponsible of the previous owner. Thankfully she is now in your hands and you have some added cost but has to be done... Good luck finding a good vet up there and think about getting your boy done too. Accidents happen when hormones are raging and that's how easily unwanted litters come into being unfortunately.

If it is confirmed she was not desexed then do it now. No need to muck around with the injections since you are not intending to breed so there is no valid reason for delaying same. Book em both in.

Just to be clear though when you say active what exactly do you mean? It is not uncommon for dogs to mount each other and pretend to mate each other but it is normally just playing or sort out dominance, they have only actually mated if they tie which means they are physically stuck together for about 10 minutes or longer. Did you witness a tie?

I only ask this as I have had more than one phone call from pet homes sure their desexed pets are mating each other. It looks very much like the real thing but there is no tie.

Personally if she has been mated I wouldn't muck round with hormone injections when you intend to desex her anyhow

they have only actually mated if they tie

Not necessarily - I have known many puppies conceived from"slip" matings - no tie ...

I have also had a panic attack when a newly desexed male rescue dog tied with an entire female who arrived in season. Due to other issues I couldn't desex her straight away but thankfully there were no puppies when we were finally able to go ahead with desex.

they have only actually mated if they tie

Not necessarily - I have known many puppies conceived from"slip" matings - no tie ...

I know but the vast majority tie and she doesn't actually sound like she is in season and then add the fact that she is meant to be desexed.

When I took on a 7 month old female [urgent rehoming] - she came into season when I was getting her booked in for desexing, my entire male [who was under breeders contract and had to remain entire] got to her before she could have her op. Just waited til her season was over then got her desexed asap, whether she was pregnant or not.