Told She Was Desexed.. Find Out She Isn't. Accidental Mating

Wilfred

Possibly because they were being shown by their owners who did not want anybody to know.

It is a requirement that ALL vets identify those that they have de sexed. But as I said many owners would not want people to know they were showing a de sexed bitch.

Yes, we often come up against the odd one that the vet forgot about.

Both of my bitches are desexed and neither of them are tattooed, nor are they secretly in the show ring

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

May be a bit obvious but if you have a vaccination certificate check on there if she is desexed. It may have the desexed symbol & if it doesn't show up, as they may not have added that detail, why not just phone the vet that was being used & explain the situation & ask if they desexed this dog.

They would have it on record on their computer.

Something to keep in mind may be if the vet who desexed her didn't do a 'normal' spey (for example did an ovary sparing spay), She will still show hormones and cycle but not be fertile. It is not overly common, but some do do this. Breathe though, not the end of the world. Best bet IMO is to talk to vet now, see if he can determine if she is speyed or not and discuss howhe may do this (ultrasound, progesterone tests etc) and get her speyed in the next week or two if she is not. I do agree it can be difficult sometimes (years ago I had a rescue we thought was entire and did not find she was desexed till she was opened up! :eek: But at least we knew and she was none the worse for wear for doing it.) I don't recommend letting her have puppies if she is pregnant.

Edited by espinay2

Possibly because they were being shown by their owners who did not want anybody to know.

It is a requirement that ALL vets identify those that they have de sexed. But as I said many owners would not want people to know they were showing a de sexed bitch.

Wrong. Its a state rule. No tats in NSW

My dogs have tats...in NSW :confused:

My dogs have tats...in NSW :confused:

Yes but it's not mandatory.

I think the point is if she DOES have a tattoo, there is the proof she is desexed. Which is what the OP requires - proof.

Yes, Florise, it's as simple as that.

I along with many on this forum live in the world of pure bred registered dogs that are shown every week where possible and many are de sexed and NOT ear branded for that simple reason, the owners do not want them to be identified as de sexed.

When these bitches are passed on for what ever reason their is no ear identification which can be confusing to the new owner.

And yes, to the person that asked about dogs with vasectomy's there are many that are shown and have no ear brand/tattoo for the same reason as the bitches. :)

Hi Wilfred,

You poor bugger! I'm with you - I have absolutely no interest in breeding and leave that to the experts - so I can truly imagine your sense of panic, desexed or not. I'd be the same. Earlier in the year a rescue I took on was entire - poor little mite arrived from NSW via country Victoria on Friday and had his balls whipped off on the Monday! Mind you he's better for it. So as others have said - one step at a time. And get them both done if your not intending on breeding.

I'd try the previous vet for desexing info first if you can. If that doesn't work then try the tests - you don't want to put her through an unnecessary GA and surgery if you can avoid it. Good luck and do let us know how you get on. :)

I tend to tell the vets NOT to tattoo after a desex - some can be a bit heavy handed and that makes it's own set of issues that I don't want to deal with... none of my dogs are tattooed, even though they are definitely desexed... *grin*

An ultrasound may show the existence (or not) of a uterus - but even better would be the previous owner giving you the name or number of the vet they used for her, then contact them and ask if they have a record of the dog being speyed... the best would be a desex certificate from either the old owner or reprinted from their vet clinic.

T.

must admit I wouldn't even consider not asking for a tattoo when my dogs are desexed.

I didn't not ask, it just wasn't done :shrug:

Nor did I, the vet just did it

same here, Daisy has a tat in her ear...I am going to get her an ear and nose stud next.

I think the point is if she DOES have a tattoo, there is the proof she is desexed. Which is what the OP requires - proof.

Yes exactly! If she doesn't she may still be or not. If she is tattoo'd she is.

If I had been told a bitch was desexed I would have no issues running her with an entire male and I could be in potentially the same situation so I don't think casting aspertions in regard to that is helpful. Not everyone has had entire bitches or would have a clue what to look for.

I normally ask for no tattoo as I find that causes them quite a bit of discomfort. I forgot with Rommi and she has one which concerned me as her ears are quite thin but it healed up just fine. One hairless cat ahs one, one doesn't and I would prefer not as it is bleeding obvious in the one who has it, white ear, no hair, big green tattoo.

Edited by OSoSwift

Here is a hypothetical. Has anyone from the rescue world gone to get a rescue bitch desexed only to find she already has been? I'm only asking because I have never heard it happening before and I'm thinking if ear tattoos weren't mandatory this would be an issue that crops up. Not all rescue dogs come with vet history and I've seen plenty of bitch bellies where no scar is visible if they were desexed a long time ago or (like my girl Tempeh) the vet is an artiste! Obviously it is different with boys - saggy sacks and lack of training wheels are easier to look for than scars or tattoos!

Here is a hypothetical. Has anyone from the rescue world gone to get a rescue bitch desexed only to find she already has been? I'm only asking because I have never heard it happening before and I'm thinking if ear tattoos weren't mandatory this would be an issue that crops up. Not all rescue dogs come with vet history and I've seen plenty of bitch bellies where no scar is visible if they were desexed a long time ago or (like my girl Tempeh) the vet is an artiste! Obviously it is different with boys - saggy sacks and lack of training wheels are easier to look for than scars or tattoos!

Yes - we've had a couple - but it's pretty rare... unfortunately.

In most bitches that have been desexed, you can feel the scar tissue under the skin if you know what you are looking for - but a caesar scar feels pretty much exactly the same, so you can't be 100% sure until you open them up for a quick look.

As for males with nothing in their sacs - we've had a few that were simply undescended... and still can make babies. If we are not completely sure we will get the vet to have a really good feel around, and occasionally will get an ultrasound to see if there is actually something that needs removing.

T.