Harry Suffered Bloat Last Night

Flashsmum

Last night Harry bloated.

He'd been restless and was throwing up, so I rang the vet about 10pm and he thought (as did I) that he had an upset stomach from eating a manky old bone he found. The vet said that I'd done all I could (painkillers and maxolon)and to keep an eye on him. After about 1am I noticed he was dry retching and much more restless and panting. Also, when I looked at him from the top, the back part of his rib cage looked like it was stretched out.

I called the vet and he said to bring him in. Harry collapsed as we walked in to the surgery. He was x-rayed, the vet called a nurse in an sent me home.

The vet rang at 4am and told me the surgery had gone as well as possible, again at 6am that he was stable, and again at 8am to say that all his levels are good and he has come through this part ok. He was finally going home for a sleep.

I've called but am waiting for the day's vet to call me back. The nurse said the Harry is resting and stable, so fingers crossed he will pull through.

Edited by Flashsmum

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've spoken to the vet on duty, and she has assured me that he is very stable, and hopefully will continue to improve. He has peed and had a little drink. We just have to wait and see that no toxins are in his system, and that he keeps on improving.

Kirislin - I'll have to find out if they stitched it or not. I didn't even think about it last night when I took him in, and it hasn't been mentioned.

Thanks for all the well wishes. It's comforting to know that others understand what we are going through. I wouldn't wish it upon anyone.

I've spoken to the vet again, and he is improving. He's on painkillers and seems to be coping okay, even being a bit more alert. He's had another pee walk as well. She said she would call if anything changes.

I'll go and see him in the morning and find out when he can come home.

Thanks for all the we wishes and support, I now know how much this all means when something like this happens :thanks:

I visited Harry this morning and he is on the improve. He is looking good, but very tired.

Hopefully he will come home tomorrow, as long as his bowels start moving and he is keeping food down.

Thanks to all for your concern.

Jaana

I visited Harry this morning and he is on the improve. He is looking good, but very tired.

Hopefully he will come home tomorrow, as long as his bowels start moving and he is keeping food down.

Thanks to all for your concern.

Jaana

So glad to hear he is improving, you've both been in my thoughts today. I'm sure your visit will give him the boost he needs dear boy. Sending strength to Harry from Me and the hounds x