Harry Suffered Bloat Last Night

Flashsmum

How scary Flashsmum... I hope he recovers soon :(

I'm a bit paranoid about bloat - I don't have a giant breed by any measure (she's about 25 kilos) but she has a really, really deep chest - almost a sighthound-y body. So it's something I'm conscious of.

Thanks!

We also have a great dane, and I've always thought she (or her predecessor) would be the ones to bloat, not Harry.

Please stay conscious and look out for the symptoms. The dry retching and hanging head and salivating and panting were my warning signs, even though his "belly" was soft. His stomach is further up in the rib cage, and I saw that his ribs were bulging out where they normally don't, so that's when I called the vet. Luckily it looks like surgery went really well, now just have to get him back to his silly self.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm a bit paranoid about bloat - I don't have a giant breed by any measure (she's about 25 kilos) but she has a really, really deep chest - almost a sighthound-y body. So it's something I'm conscious of.

Thanks!

We also have a great dane, and I've always thought she (or her predecessor) would be the ones to bloat, not Harry.

Please stay conscious and look out for the symptoms. The dry retching and hanging head and salivating and panting were my warning signs, even though his "belly" was soft. His stomach is further up in the rib cage, and I saw that his ribs were bulging out where they normally don't, so that's when I called the vet. Luckily it looks like surgery went really well, now just have to get him back to his silly self.

Oh, I assumed it was your Dane that bloated... what breed is Harry?

Thanks for that information. Hope I never need to use it.

Lots of healing thoughts to Harry.

Harry - you need to stop scaring your Mummy like this... please stop being a princess and eat something to make her happier about the situation...

FM - hang in there - he will come good in his own time. Sometimes they like to rub it in that they aren't feeling good and make you worry much more than you should.

Is he drinking? If so, maybe try a little chicken broth with a small amount of soggy rice in it - feed a small amount a few times a day until his tummy feels like taking on more solid food. Try ice cream too - sometimes that has a soothing effect on a sore tummy - and he may have a bit of a sore throat from the tube during surgery, which could put him off more solid stuff...

T.

Thanks!

Oh, I assumed it was your Dane that bloated... what breed is Harry?

Thanks for that information. Hope I never need to use it.

Lots of healing thoughts to Harry.

Harry is a greyhound we adopted when he was 18 months old, he's now 9 years old.

post-1382-0-78831300-1383735602_thumb.jpg

Harry - you need to stop scaring your Mummy like this... please stop being a princess and eat something to make her happier about the situation...

FM - hang in there - he will come good in his own time. Sometimes they like to rub it in that they aren't feeling good and make you worry much more than you should.

Is he drinking? If so, maybe try a little chicken broth with a small amount of soggy rice in it - feed a small amount a few times a day until his tummy feels like taking on more solid food. Try ice cream too - sometimes that has a soothing effect on a sore tummy - and he may have a bit of a sore throat from the tube during surgery, which could put him off more solid stuff...

T.

Thanks, I'll try the chicken broth and rice and the ice cream, they may work. He is a princess though :D Today he turned his nose up at warm porridge, fish fingers, hot dogs, gravy and peanut buttered toast, all usually guaranteed to get him eating :( He is drinking well.

Edited by Flashsmum

Flashsmum you may find the pain meds are making him feel ill. When my saint had his heart op he didn't eat until I stopped his pain meds and then he started eating and was happy and we handle the pain with previcox instead of the heavy pain killers he was sent home with.

Hope Harry feels better soon hugs to you both

Last night Harry ate a few Arnott's wafer biscuits!! He came out of the bedroom about 10pm, lay on his bed in the lounge room, looked at DH as if to say "where's my bickie" as he does when DH is eating biscuits.

DH took a small piece of biscuit, threw it to Harry who ate it. He probably ended up eating about 4 biscuits in total.

Vet visit again this morning for a check up, full blood count came back good (a great relief) and his red cell count has gone up 2 points as well. All good news, now just getting him to eat regularly is the battle. He didn't want breakfast this morning.

He is much more active and normal in his behaviour, he even went outside to sniff his brekkie before rejecting it, which is a huge improvement.

Thanks for all you good wishes and advice, I really appreciate it :thumbsup:

Aaawww, thanks for checking!!

Harry had a vet visit this morning for a new blood test, and his red cell count is at 36 :thumbsup:

The vet said physically he is fine, now we just need to deal with his idiosyncracies. He didn't eat until tonight, and I think that it was only because we had Chinese takeaway, and he wanted some. He enjoyed the prawn cutlet tails and prawn chips :laugh:

My brother and his wife came to visit, and he met them at the door with a wagging tail, and tonight is the first night that he's spent the evening in our lounge room on his bed, instead of being in the bedroom.

All in all, he is doing well, I just need to get over my paranoia that something is going to go wrong