Assistance Dog Breeds.

Lhok

Hi all

Since Treble has been diagnosed with Addisons he will no longer be able to continue his training to be my assistance dog so I am now having to look for another suitable dog. The dog in question would have to be able to pull in a harness sometimes as I have trouble walking some days. Large enough that I can hold the harness (nothing under 30kg) be trainable and be able to get along with Treble who is a quite bouncy desexed male Akita. I also have a 2 year old daughter so I would like a dog that is gentle around kids (Treb is never left alone with her). I also don't like super drooly dogs. Labs and Goldens are out as I am still not quite over losing Missy dog who was a retriever mix.

I'm also in the research phase so any info as to why they would make a good choice is greater appreciated.

So far some of the suggestions made to me have been

Leonbergers

German Shepherds

Standard Poodles

Pointer

GSP

--Lhok

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bernese Mountain Dog?

I remember seeing on one of those dogs with jobs shows that they used them to help with autistic children.

GSD

Jack of all trades! You would want to research lines though as there is variation in temperament and type.

Rottweiler.

Taken from ANKC breed standard:

Temperament: Behaviour and character. Being good natured, placid in basic disposition and fond of children, he is very devoted, obedient, biddable and eager to work. His appearance is natural and rustic, his behaviour self assured, steady and fearless. He reacts to his surroundings with great alertness.

And plenty of people have used them for carting, so pulling up on command should be no problem. :)

And not drooly if you get one that has close fitting lips...which they should have anyway.

You want something relatively long lived and nothing with health issues that could cause you to lose it early or younger than usual as this won't help you mentally. Giant breeds are prone to shorter lifespans and can be very expensive with vet visits.

Dobes?

How about a flat coated or curly coated?

Airedale?

Rotti?

My friend has a dogue as a therapy dog but she has already lost one very young from cancer so I'm not sure how I feel about suggesting one due to their inherent health issues.

I would recommend a male Leonberger. Large, don't drool, and the males in particular are more laid-back. You would want to meet the parents first to make sure of the temperament and let the breeder know what you are planning on so they can keep an eye out for a suitable pup.

Malinois? (Or a miniature horse! Go the mini horse!!!! :thumbsup: )

I don't think a Mal would suit, and they are on the smaller side with some under 30kg.

I would look for a good GSD with solid nerves, I think a GSD is a good option :)

I'd suggest a Bernese mountain dog as well.

I've met a few and they're very gentle and placid dogs and like to sit on your feet :)

Wikipedia also says they have a natural gift for pulling small carts and wagons and are affectionate and patient towards children

The only down side would be the life expectancy

Bull breeds can often excel at this kind of work - Animal Farm Foundation have an assistance dog program using rescued 'pit bull' dogs (bearing in mind that the term 'pit bull' in the states includes the APBT, Amstaff, SBT and any mixes that look vaguely similar to those breeds). The program is really successful and the dogs do really well.

Animal Farm Foundation - Assistance Dogs program

There'd be many, many suitable dogs in rescues all around the country that would thrive with a job like you are describing.

Good luck in your search!

ETA: They have some great international links and resources for assistance dogs on their website too:

Assistance Team Resources

Edited by melzawelza

Bull breeds can often excel at this kind of work - Animal Farm Foundation have an assistance dog program using rescued 'pit bull' dogs (bearing in mind that the term 'pit bull' in the states includes the APBT, Amstaff, SBT and any mixes that look vaguely similar to those breeds). The program is really successful and the dogs do really well.

There'd be many, many suitable dogs in rescues all around the country that would thrive with a job like you are describing.

ETA: They have some great international links and resources for assistance dogs on their website too:

Sounds great, but it's in New York though? Or have I got that wrong?

Oh yes they're in New York, I spent a week with them in May. I'm not saying the OP could adopt from them but just showing her that Bull Breeds can excel at this work (a lot of people don't believe it to be true! :laugh: ). Plus, they've got some great international resources there that might be helpful for her.

Oh yes they're in New York, I spent a week with them in May. I'm not saying the OP could adopt from them but just showing her that Bull Breeds can excel at this work (a lot of people don't believe it to be true! :laugh: ). Plus, they've got some great international resources there that might be helpful for her.

Oh right :) haha I don't know why I didn't realise that :laugh:

Wow that must have been a fantastic experience to spend a week with them! I'm very jealous! :)

Labs and Goldens are out as I am still not quite over losing Missy dog who was a retriever mix.

I'd suggest you have another look at a pure-bred Lab. They're a type of dog you know well, and sound ideal for your situation. A pure-bred might be different enough that it doesn't always remind you of the dearly departed, and it will be a puppy, which is different in itself, for a long while. You might even find yourself saying "Wow! She's just like Missy!"

Rottweiler.

Taken from ANKC breed standard:

Temperament: Behaviour and character. Being good natured, placid in basic disposition and fond of children, he is very devoted, obedient, biddable and eager to work. His appearance is natural and rustic, his behaviour self assured, steady and fearless. He reacts to his surroundings with great alertness.

And plenty of people have used them for carting, so pulling up on command should be no problem. :)

And not drooly if you get one that has close fitting lips...which they should have anyway.

Agreed.

I rarely offer my breed as a suggested one in breed query threads, but can absolutely say that well bred, carefully selected, well trained Rottis make excellent assistance dogs. They have an innate need to work with people, yet make brilliant couch potatoes or snuggle bunnies when they are not required. :thumbsup:

Edited by dyzney