Assistance Dog Breeds.

Lhok

Bull breeds can often excel at this kind of work - Animal Farm Foundation have an assistance dog program using rescued 'pit bull' dogs (bearing in mind that the term 'pit bull' in the states includes the APBT, Amstaff, SBT and any mixes that look vaguely similar to those breeds). The program is really successful and the dogs do really well.

Animal Farm Foundation - Assistance Dogs program

There'd be many, many suitable dogs in rescues all around the country that would thrive with a job like you are describing.

Good luck in your search!

ETA: They have some great international links and resources for assistance dogs on their website too:

Assistance Team Resources

Sounds great, but it's in New York though? Or have I got that wrong?

Oh yes they're in New York, I spent a week with them in May. I'm not saying the OP could adopt from them but just showing her that Bull Breeds can excel at this work (a lot of people don't believe it to be true! :laugh: ). Plus, they've got some great international resources there that might be helpful for her.

Oh right :) haha I don't know why I didn't realise that :laugh:

Wow that must have been a fantastic experience to spend a week with them! I'm very jealous! :)

It really was, they're an incredible, inspiring organisation in the work that they do - the assistance dog stuff is only a small part of what they do overall. Their internships are run numerous times throughout the year and are free so if anyone is ever in the USA and are interested it's worth applying - they're only a less than 2 hour train ride from NYC and it includes your accommodation on-site (where you get to bunk with a gorgeous rescued Pit Bull!). :)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sounds brilliant Melzawelza, I especially love the bunking with a pit bull bit :D

It's the best. This was my BFF for the week - Mumford - who is deaf. An absolute sweetheart.

Sorry for the hijack!! No more photos I promise :laugh:

post-29264-0-33183100-1384818976_thumb.jpg

Edited by melzawelza

Rottweiler.

Taken from ANKC breed standard:

Temperament: Behaviour and character. Being good natured, placid in basic disposition and fond of children, he is very devoted, obedient, biddable and eager to work. His appearance is natural and rustic, his behaviour self assured, steady and fearless. He reacts to his surroundings with great alertness.

And plenty of people have used them for carting, so pulling up on command should be no problem. :)

And not drooly if you get one that has close fitting lips...which they should have anyway.

Agreed.

I rarely offer my breed as a suggested one in breed query threads, but can absolutely say that well bred, carefully selected, well trained Rottis make excellent assistance dogs. They have an innate need to work with people, yet make brilliant couch potatoes or snuggle bunnies when they are not required. :thumbsup:

Thirded :) A well bred, selected and trained rottweiler would excel at something like this :) Highly intelligent, desire to please, love working with (and being with) their people, adaptable, good with children.

Hairy isn't a problem, Treble is quite hairy :D I just can't handle drool, I know I'm a wuss but I gag when I see the drool lines. Miss used to drool when I held a treat sometimes and it just grossed me out :laugh:.

I hadn't really had much of a think about bull breeds as I thought they might be a bit on the small side. I have never actually seen a well bred Am Staff though just heaps of mixes and crossbreds.

Also thanks Melzawelza I'm having a look at the links now.

--Lhok

Hairy isn't a problem, Treble is quite hairy :D I just can't handle drool, I know I'm a wuss but I gag when I see the drool lines. Miss used to drool when I held a treat sometimes and it just grossed me out :laugh:.

I hadn't really had much of a think about bull breeds as I thought they might be a bit on the small side. I have never actually seen a well bred Am Staff though just heaps of mixes and crossbreds.

--Lhok

They're small-ish but strong :laugh:

They absolutely excel at weight-pull events in the States and here in Australia now that it's started up. They'd have no problem pulling a cart and typically absolutely love to do it. One of the first Australian-Bred APBT pulled a 2100kg Landcruiser. I'll try and find the photo of him with it.

Also agree that a Rotty could be a great option too.

No worries, hope the links are useful and good luck!

Edited by melzawelza

Guest hankodie

Another vote for a rotti :thumbsup: there is one in our obedience class and she is so focused on her owner and absolutely loves to please but is very calm at the same time. I imagine if you chose one from an excellent breeder with a solid temperament it would make a fantastic assistance dog.

I would advise against Pointers if you rely on the dog to get you safely from a to b since a cat or rabbit sprinting past you could quickly make the dog guide you right under the next car unfortunately.

Also if you are physically limited I would be concerned that the amount of physical and mental stimulation would not keep a Pointer happy

ETA: With a young child I would also especially advise against adding a GSP or similar to the household for first time owners (or even some more experienced people) until the child is older.

Edited by BlackJaq

What about a Samoyed? There are a few in America working as assistant dogs. They're strong and easily capable of pulling in harness (my big boy weighs 36 kilo, my smaller male is 31).

They would be wonderful with your daughter and mine all love Akita's and can deal with silly bouncy babies very well.

Edited by Bjelkier

Agree with BlackJaq re the GSPs I've met.....even my Springer would happily guide me under a bus if there was fur or feather in her sights! Labs that are bred for assistance/guide dog work have been specifically selected to remove a lot of the gundog prey drive. I know Dalmatians have been used as guide dogs in NZ but you would certainly need the "right" dog. Plus you'd have WAY too many people wanting to come and pat him!

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Labs and Goldens are out as I am still not quite over losing Missy dog who was a retriever mix.

I'd suggest you have another look at a pure-bred Lab. They're a type of dog you know well, and sound ideal for your situation. A pure-bred might be different enough that it doesn't always remind you of the dearly departed, and it will be a puppy, which is different in itself, for a long while. You might even find yourself saying "Wow! She's just like Missy!"

I am biased, but a flat coat could be lovely. Gus is exuberant, friendly, sensitive, happy and loves to do his 'jobs' and be around his people. Sounds like a good mix for an assistant dog. He is low on the small-critter drive though.

They are slow to mature though, but quick to learn and easy to motivate.

We've also got on his back early about being gentle with kids. He seems to accept they're not toys now, which is a huge plus!

He's just tipped 28kg as well. At 8 months.

He can also go a few days without an outing quite happily as long as he gets people time. Definitely not an outside dog, but happy to stay home for a week so long as he has Rosie to play with. He's not really destructive either, unless you count my cauliflowers...

Edited by Steph M

Airedale Terriers have been used in many assistance situations but most would - or should not be over 30kg and you would need to be very disciplined in training from a young age. I have no doubt that many Airedales could fit the bill but finding the right one may be a challenge. Remember though they are Terriers and although much more subdued than the smaller terriers do have many of the natural terrier instincts.

Okay, well that is pretty clear on the pointer front, I've never met a pointer to be honest I was just told that maybe a quieter one would be something I could consider. I certainly don't want to be pulled under a bus :laugh:

As for exercise my hubby walks Treble in the mornings and afternoons if I can't manage to do it so there is a chance for the dog to be just a dog :)

I hadn't thought about Sammys either.

So far the list is looking like

Leonbergers

German Shepherds

Poodles- Standard

Rottweilers

Samoyeds

possible a bully breed

Airedale Terrier

--Lhok

Edited by Lhok

--Lhok

They're small-ish but strong :laugh:

They absolutely excel at weight-pull events in the States and here in Australia now that it's started up. They'd have no problem pulling a cart and typically absolutely love to do it. One of the first Australian-Bred APBT pulled a 2100kg Landcruiser. I'll try and find the photo of him with it.

Also agree that a Rotty could be a great option too.

No worries, hope the links are useful and good luck!

Found it! McConnell's Revhead, pictured pulling a 2100kg Landcruiser, weighing only 24 kilos himself :)

Pedigree with photos

Also, I know you've got an Akita (gorgeous breed btw) but what about a Malamute? I'm not sure how big they get, but they'd be good at pulling in a harness I'd imagine?

I don't know anything about spitz, but I thought I'd make the suggestion.

A mal's prey drive would be off the charts.

Also, I know you've got an Akita (gorgeous breed btw) but what about a Malamute? I'm not sure how big they get, but they'd be good at pulling in a harness I'd imagine?

I don't know anything about spitz, but I thought I'd make the suggestion.

A mal's prey drive would be off the charts.

Oh. Then never mind :(

I might be worried about their prey drive, too but I am not overly familiar with the breed.

A large bull breed or Rott sounds like a likely choice to me, too, especially if you don't want to go with the traditional breeds (i.e. Lab and Golden)