Assistance Dog Breeds.

Lhok

Also, I know you've got an Akita (gorgeous breed btw) but what about a Malamute? I'm not sure how big they get, but they'd be good at pulling in a harness I'd imagine?

I don't know anything about spitz, but I thought I'd make the suggestion.

A mal's prey drive would be off the charts.

It's not the prey drive I'd be worried about so much as the two breeds together. Both can be quite dominant.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think a dog like Horse Puppy would be a good choice. She's currently assisting me in finding a different place to sit. There was a space but she cleverly filled it with the small silver bowl so now there's no room.

horse.jpg

But seriously consider getting a young pup from a reputable rescue who can match you well. Some rescue dogs makes the best assistance dogs.

Edited by mixeduppup

I think if it is to be a rescue then an adult dog would be a better choice, since what you see is what you get but you could certainly get lucky with a pup, it is just a higher risk since you don't know about the pup's genetic background or anything. Even guessing at the final size might prove pretty difficult, not to mention the final adult temperament. A registered breeder would be a better place to look for a pup in my opinion.

I think if it is to be a rescue then an adult dog would be a better choice, since what you see is what you get but you could certainly get lucky with a pup, it is just a higher risk since you don't know about the pup's genetic background or anything. Even guessing at the final size might prove pretty difficult, not to mention the final adult temperament. A registered breeder would be a better place to look for a pup in my opinion.

Sorry, I forgot to put breed rescue not just rescue. There are some great breed rescues that can match people really well.

Standard/giant Schnauzer. !

Solid, impressive looking , long lived ... social, strong, smiley ... My impressions, anyhow . ;)..and you have to love a moustache :p

I have next to no knowledge about Schnauzers except I love their bearded faces :D does anyone on this forum have any?

Just editing to add I am not against rescue and I would be interested in getting a rescue if the dog in question fills all the criteria. I would be more interested in an adult rescue then a pup only because I would know the final size and have a chance to know if there was any problems like thunderphobia etc and I could take Treb for a meet and greet.

I started this thread to get a launch pad so I can research and have a chat to breeders about their breeds as it takes me a while to sort through the information and make a decision. If that makes sense?

--Lhok

Edited by Lhok

I have friends who bred minis .. and have met several standards and a couple of giants. From that- I am a fan , without knowing them thoroughly . I like their build.. so square and solid - seem to me they would be a good build to help with mobility issues .?

The first breed that popped into my head when I read the OP was Rottweiler... they would be my number one pick.

As for no Labs or Goldens - how about a Lab of a different colour to your old one to reduce the possibility of any comparisons? Tapua breed some mighty fine dogs that would be great for the job you are looking at having the dog do - and Tapua dogs are not small...

(PM/email Tapua here on DOL - she'll possibly have a perfect dog for your situation)

T.

The first breed that popped into my head when I read the OP was Rottweiler... they would be my number one pick.

As for no Labs or Goldens - how about a Lab of a different colour to your old one to reduce the possibility of any comparisons? Tapua breed some mighty fine dogs that would be great for the job you are looking at having the dog do - and Tapua dogs are not small...

(PM/email Tapua here on DOL - she'll possibly have a perfect dog for your situation)

T.

If I remember correctly Tapua was breeding field bred dogs though, this would likely mean they would be too driven for this kind of work I would imagine?

T.

If I remember correctly Tapua was breeding field bred dogs though, this would likely mean they would be too driven for this kind of work I would imagine?

Tapua breeds dogs suitable as guide dogs, assistance dogs and customs dogs.

T.

Looking at the website they appear to breed a lot of dogs that go on to be assistance and therapy dogs

I would recommend a giant schnauzer, a well bred giant could really fit the bill. I have a very good friend that breeds giants that would be happy to offer specific advice, can put you in touch with her if you like? They're a pretty healthy breed too, some of the breeds mentioned can have quite short life spans and/or severe health issues, not good in a working service dog!

A Rotti sounds like a good option, they few I've met are beautiful. Schnauzer would be cool, would need a bit more grooming than Treb though, mum clips her mini every 6-8 weeks depending on the season, he feels the heat badly, even fully clipped. Can't wait to hear what you decide on, I'll get to meet it YAY!