Question About Breeders And Waiting Lists

Esky the husky

Obviously I have a rare breed and don't get buckets of enquiries BUT I do have a puppy buyer folder in my emails. When I get an email from someone I talk to them about the breed and, if they seem like an appropriate home, I talk to them about when the next litter is planned. If they're happy to wait as long as that will be (currently between 12-18 months) then I add them to that file.

Once the mating takes place I message those on my list and ask for people to confirm that they are still interested. If they are they go into a smaller list for that litter. People who have been waiting longest get priority BUT I won't put just any pup into their home - I match personality to home. For example I recently had two litters born 11 days apart and had one lady who had been waiting for over 6 months on my list. She wanted a bitch because she already had a dog (of a different breed) BUT whilst there was a bitch available in the first litter I just didn't feel that she was the right bitch for that home. Obviously she didn't have to wait long BUT even if she had had to have waited longer I still wouldn't have put the available bitch into her home because they were, quite simply, not suited.

To add to my previous response, no-one knew who was their pup until the pups were at least 6 weeks old and I was sure who was staying with me. However I had, quietly in the background, been making decisions about who was going where for a few weeks - nothing definite but little leanings. Everyone is told that I make the decisions on who goes where unless there are two pups equally suitable for a home in which case I may let people choose.

After years of doing dog rescue and rehoming hundreds of dogs I'm quite comfortable being politely assertive about choosing a pup for a home.

I had a list and kept a file of emails. When the pregnancy was confirmed they were emailed saying the pregnancy was confirmed, obviously we didn't have eaxct numbers etc but where they still interested.

When they were born photos were emailed out and once again they were asked where they interested.

From aorund 2 weeks on their personalities started to come out but everyone was told that I wasn't sure who would go where until later and I knew their personalities etc. Luckily the three I had fitted three families perfectly and one who had waited 2 years got to take home a very precious girl I would happily have kept :) They were all happy to have their puppy chosen for them based on the puppy's personality and their situation.

If you are concerned email and ask :)

Its interesting to hear about the different approaches. Pups I'm waiting to hear about are around 4 weeks of age. Guess I'll just keep being patient. (hard for me. Lol )

Just paranoid that I might get forgotten. :o. I'm lame I know

I think it be good to email or phone to ask how they were going, it can be reassuring for them to know how interested and committed you are, they will probably take the opertunity to strike up a convo with you to get to know you better, I can't see why a breeder wouldn't be keen on talking about the little ones, obviously, If you want to call you may need to email to ask for a suitable time to call as this time can be busy but i love talking with buyers and building that relationship, which i hope makes them more comfortable to call back when they have the pup for advice or help, maybe even with just updates.

I no longer keep files as such. I respond to initial emails with a request to call me, then we talk and if I think they are suitable I tell them to call me on x date. If they call and are still interested ( and I'm happy to sell or give away ) I tell them to email me their details and they then pay a deposit. I put all of the balls back in the buyers court and get them to call and chase me, it's worked well for the last two litters and I've been left with the genuine people by the time I get to decision making stage.

I dont take names until about 2 weeks before the litter is due .I tell those who enquire earlier about when I expect to have a litter and if they are still interested they come back .The only time I add names before that is when someone already has one of my puppies and they want another .

If the puppies were born 4 weeks ago Id get back in touch with the breeder if I were you in case she has forgotten about you

When people email me, I keep their emails in an "interest" folder on my computer. When I receive their initial email (or phone call), I will respond explaining my circumstances at that time, ie no puppies, bitch mated, litter on ground etc. I also find out more about them and the kind of home they can offer and will refer them to my online questionnaire (this goes for any kind of contact whether by email, phone or in person). If they complete this, I keep it if I feel they might be a suitable home, otherwise I thank them for their interest and file the questionnaire "appropriately" (ie, round filing cabinet) and suggest that they may be better off enquiring elsewhere.

If I have a litter due or on the ground, I will go through this list, email people to find out their current situation and whether still interested in being placed on prospective owner list. Those who haven't waited or whose circumstances have changed, I delete straight away. This is usually about half of the names that I have. Then I work with the rest. Notify when puppies are born and send out a weekly "pupdate" information email to those who wish to be included.

One thing that I make very clear is that whilst I am taking expressions of interest, there is still no guarantee that there will be a puppy available and also that whilst they may have a particular favourite in the litter, I do not actually "allocate" puppies until I am satisfied with my own choices. Most people are happy with this. If people have an issue with this, then this is used as a further tool with which to cull my list.

This sounds like an awful lot of work, but in reality, it isn't at all. I don't have time to muck around, my time is spent with my puppies (and my family) but I find that this system works for me.

Editing to add: And of course, if I have nothing planned, as is the case with Staffordshire Bull Terriers at the moment, I tell them this and wish them luck in their search, usually referring them to DOL and/or the various clubs and State controlling bodies depending upon where they are.

I NEVER "recommend" other breeders. Because I don't know enough about how most of them live away from dog shows, I would rather not give personal recommendations because knowing my luck, it would come back to bite me on the behind.

Edited by ellz

Its interesting to hear about the different approaches. Pups I'm waiting to hear about are around 4 weeks of age. Guess I'll just keep being patient. (hard for me. Lol )

Just paranoid that I might get forgotten. :o. I'm lame I know

By the time puppies were 4 weeks I was giving those that were most likely getting a puppy weekly updates. Anyone else on the reserve list was told I would contact them if I happened to have something available. Because I only bred a litter every 1-3 years I didn't keep a waiting list but once the litter was advertised as due I kept a list of names with as much detail as possible. When the litter arrived I rang them all and advised who would most likely get a puppy, if there was one suitable for their situation and that could not be determined until 6-7 weeks. Everyone else was advised they were on the reserve list in case anyone dropped out or there wasn't a puppy to suit them. I also started my puppy buyer visits from 4 weeks and hoped to have them visit at least twice with all the family before they collected their puppy. It gave me a chance to observe how they interacted with the dogs, gave my dogs a chance to let me know if they didn't like them and allowed me to assess what they needed in a puppy and if I had one to fit those needs.

I have a spreadsheet.

That gets updated with details from the puppy enquiry form that I ask everyone to fill in. This starts before the litter is born.

I keep an email folder with all the enquiries I get and, on the spreadsheet I only put the names that I will consider for a home.

As some people have specific requirements I inform everyone what I have and if I can provide them with a puppy or not.

sometimes they might be willing to change the colour or sex, if they dont than I refer them to another breeder.

As to who gets what puppy - noone really knows till I make my decisions.

I come first, than try to match on temperament as much as I can.

I haven't had a litter yet, but am planning my first next year and have already received heaps of emails even though I've stated I am not taking any names yet.

I won't be keeping a wait list, like others I will be leaving it up to the buyer to keep contacting if they are that interested. With Tollers there is definately no shortage of (good) homes and generally people are waiting 2 years for a pup so alot of people would probably not be interested after awhile.

Like others here I keep an email folder with people who are interested. I can add notes to this file as they make further contact either thru phone or email - thus build up a bit of information about the environment and commitment of the people. Usually have some priority people - one or two people who may have been up and visited a previous litter and have been waiting for awhile and still committed - or else have someone with a pup from a few years ago looking for a second pup - I send updates at times and then once the pups are born I will email my priority people to check them first, then I contact the rest on the list and start a bit of a juggling act. Often half the list has either changed their mind or found another pup - which is cool by me.

I really try to keep an open mind and not judge their lifestyle as in working or size of property, but more how committed and planning they seem to be towards getting a new dog.... If they havent met the aussies before they are welcome to come and see the dogs in the flesh - this can help me see how they might react and adapt to the dogs. I let all the dogs out together to run riot a bit just to see if they can deal with the energy....

My suggestion, is perhaps see if you can go and visit the pups - this gives you a chance to meet the breeder and they get to know you.... Once we have most of the pups allocated (usually by 3-4 weeks) I often have new people here each week for visits.

I really like the leave it up to the buyer option that a few here use. As a buyer I would be happy with it because it would probably mean that those that weren't serious would drop out of the picture giving me a better chance of getting a pup that suits me :p and as a breeder I can see that it would be an easy way to weed out the tyre kickers.

I really like the leave it up to the buyer option that a few here use. As a buyer I would be happy with it because it would probably mean that those that weren't serious would drop out of the picture giving me a better chance of getting a pup that suits me :p and as a breeder I can see that it would be an easy way to weed out the tyre kickers.

That's usually what happens and you never have to worry about the calling people only to be told " ohh (insert giggle) I've found a puppy already "

As a buyer I rang the breeder I wanted and asked to go on a list for what she thought suited us. She then asked me to drop a line each week to stay in touch and show I was still interested. Worked out well and I ended up with two amazing dogs from her.