I Think My Old Girl

Rascalmyshadow

My almost 13 year old poodle has started some really odd new behaviours and I'm not sure if its age related or something else.

She has become obsessed with a rubber chicken and carries it around whining.

She has started harassing us at the dinner table and stealing food at every opportunity.

She won't eat if I don't stand with her and refuses to eat anything with gravy (she has never been a picky eater).

She will not walk if anyone except me has the lead.

She asked to be carried because there was prickles in the grass at the park (she has always hated being picked up).

She snaps at the other dogs for no reason and bit me on the hand during the night because I stuck it out from under the doona.

I know her eyesight is mostly gone but I'm not sure if that's the cause of all the weird behaviour. Ideas?

I'd say eyesight could be one cause or you might be right, senility or even a brain tumour.

My 7 yr old dog bit me several times for no reason at all and completely changed personality with lots of other behavioural differences - loved one of my other dogs and then suddenly they didn't get on so well at times.

Went to 3 vets and they all thought brain tumour, as time went on other changes occurred such as fits and incontinence and those changes are associated with brain tumours.

I've had lots of dogs that suffered dementia (I mainly rescue/adopt old dogs) at the end of their lives, none of them became aggressive. Most of them had significant behavioural changes but only in one or two areas - they will wander off as they forget where they are. Another one also started toileting inside having been extremely clean in the years I'd owned her. Another couple got lost in the night, stuck in a corner and so on.

Always best to see a vet ... best wishes, it's not easy on the pet owning journey at times.

I'd say possibly eye sight and/or hearing even.

When my old girl started to lose her marbles she was funny and incredibly frustrating. She'd bark to go outside, then once she had wandered out, she'd stop dead and you could see her thinking "now what was I doing?", and then she'd turn around and bark again to come back in. Then once in, she'd pee. :o

She also started to get the wanders and would wander off in the yard and then get worried because she couldn't remember where she was so she'd bark and bark until you came to find her. Needless to say, her little outdoor jaunts were curtailed quite quickly as I was scared she'd wander off and not be able to be found.

I lost our mini Oscar to a brain tumour earlier this year.

He had a very sudden deterioration over only a few days, which included pacing, seizures and biting the vet.

He was a complete mess with medication- still paranoid/ fearful and almost a different dog, so was very clear cut to PTS.

Vet had hoped medication would settle things to allow him a few more weeks, but even very sedated, he was distressed++

Looking back, there were some subtle signs I put down to ageing/ deteriorating eyes:

* More nervous/fearful/ snappy with other dogs

* Weeing indoors

* Bumping into things.

Perhaps talk to vet to see if there are any medications you can trial to help?

If not, it's a quality of life issue: Is she still happy enough, most of the time?

Sad time for you all hug.gif

I posted on here not long ago about my sister's 10 year old husky/shep cross who had suddenly become clingy. After a vet check she was put on vivitonin for the beginnings of dementia and she is doing really well again now. The funny thing is it's a bit like human relatives I have known whose personality goes to the opposite when they get dementia. My sister's snooty, cat like dog is now super friendly and always wanting cuddles and to be in the thick of things! It's nice but funny all the same.

Hope you have manageable news for your fur baby from the vet too.

We're reaching the point with our older JRT (14 in February) and think we may have to make the call soon. He gets very confused and very stressed when it happens. He has taken to loads of nocturnal barking, sits in corners barking etc. He has had a grand life and we could definitely continue with him but the stress is cruel IMO.

We're reaching the point with our older JRT (14 in February) and think we may have to make the call soon. He gets very confused and very stressed when it happens. He has taken to loads of nocturnal barking, sits in corners barking etc. He has had a grand life and we could definitely continue with him but the stress is cruel IMO.

Yep, agree. This was why I made the decision I made for my girl. I couldn't bear to see a girl who had been so full of life and so outgoing become such a recluse and internalise so much. It broke my heart.

Thanks for the replies she is generally happy in herself but I am getting a bit concerned about the snapping and clingyness. I will have another visit with the vet. I think she's also finding it hard being surrounded by younger dogs, she wants to play and run but it's becoming a bit too hard.

Hope she's ok and the vet can make some suggestions. :crossfingers:

Zoe is 14.5 and occasionally acts a bit odd. The other day I caught her trying to eat a sockette. :eek: This is a dog who has never shown an interest in chewing or toys or anything. I think her vision has deteriorated quite a lot, the vet thinks she's almost completely blind but she still follows your hand and gets around fine. She gets pretty regular checks as she's on cartrophen.

I also put Young At Heart supplement in her food which I think has made a bit of a difference, she's still fairly spritely. :)

My almost 13 year old poodle has started some really odd new behaviours and I'm not sure if its age related or something else.

She has become obsessed with a rubber chicken and carries it around whining.

She has started harassing us at the dinner table and stealing food at every opportunity.

She won't eat if I don't stand with her and refuses to eat anything with gravy (she has never been a picky eater).

She will not walk if anyone except me has the lead.

She asked to be carried because there was prickles in the grass at the park (she has always hated being picked up).

She snaps at the other dogs for no reason and bit me on the hand during the night because I stuck it out from under the doona.

I know her eyesight is mostly gone but I'm not sure if that's the cause of all the weird behaviour. Ideas?

Hugs to you :hug:

I am not an expert though I have met many vision impaired dogs (impounded) with litle or no eyesight who displayed similar behaviour.

Is she eating on her own? or are other dogs around? perhaps best to familiarise her with her own safe place to eat in peace without wondering if another dog is eyeing her off, a crate would be ideal.

A lot of the above dogs would snap at any sudden or unknown movement, they needed specific handling.

Have there been any big changes at home? This can also unsettle dogs, esspecially oldies.

We have been using "adaptil" at work, the difference in the dogs is incredible, perhaps worth a try. There are dap diffusers as well, maybe even a thundershirt at times she is clearly anxious?

Snaping at other dogs was very common as they are unable to read another dogs body language and feel very vulnerable. Walking on lead was another as they need good guidence and cues to feel safe. Dear little soul obviously has that in you :)

I am sure others come along with lots of advice

A vet visit would reasure, it could be a combination of a few things...

Sending positive vibes your way :)

ETA I would buy another toy/s she enjoys, then remove the rubber chicken and ensure those toys are hers and hers alone (if she has the same response let your vet know).

Edited by Nic.B

NicB thank you for your reply, I groom many dogs with limited to no vision and can see obvious behavioural changes as they lose their eyesight but because I live with Bella everyday, it's much easier to over look or miss things.

I had never thought of limited vision changing the way dogs read other dogs, that makes a lot of sense to whats going on.

The dogs all eat in the kitchen but I always stand and supervise, I will try feeding her separately just incase she is worried by the other dogs.

I would try a thunder shirt (I used one in my old standard) but she has always hated jumpers etc. she even hates getting her harness on.

Edited by Rascalmyshadow

NicB thank you for your reply, I groom many dogs with limited to no vision and can see obvious behavioural changes as they lose their eyesight but because I live with Bella everyday, it's much easier to over look or miss things.

I had never thought of limited vision changing the way dogs read other dogs, that makes a lot of sense to whats going on.

The dogs all eat in the kitchen but I always stand and supervise, I will try feeding her separately just incase she is worried by the other dogs.

I would try a thunder shirt (I used one in my old standard) but she has always hated jumpers etc. she even hates getting her harness on.

I know exactly how you feel and can relate very much :)

Billy my Foxie is an a la natural boy. He will not wear jamies or jumpers at all, he stands still like a statue until it is taken off. It is very individual.

I am not an expert at all, it is the dogs (large and small) I have met with vision impairment who taught me the difference between dogs with vision impairment and/or other issues.

All of the dogs I met who were vision impaired at the pound regardless of breed or size all struggled with the same consistent issues.

Even moving furniture about can be difficult for a dog with low/no vision as they loose their natural pathways.

In the pound they were often misread and lumped into the not 'normal' basket. They did eventually find fabulous commited homes trough rescue though.

Having said that, there may also be more going on for your little bug. Trust your intuition. Regardless she is in good hands :)