Cat Attacked - Pitbull Blamed

j

All very third hand information about the type of dog and the owner (but apparently the Canberra Times doesn't need actual proof) , but it's good to see the comments that it doesn't matter what breed or size a dog is, the most important factor is the way it's trained and cared for.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/misty-the-cat-mauled-by-pitbull-20131126-2y6sk.html

A Canberra pensioner has been left distraught after her little cat Misty was savaged during a vicious dog attack in Kaleen.

Helen Forbes said her cat had managed to drag itself inside despite serious injuries.

She found it in “terrible pain".

“The vet said she had been attacked by a dog," she said.

“The poor little thing was two days in the vet."

It took another two weeks before her cat could get back on its feet but she is unlikely to fully recover and will carry the effects of the injuries for the rest of her life.

The vet bill of almost $600 has meant Ms Forbes will forego the new refrigerator she had been saving up for.

A couple who were driving passed her house and witnessed the attack provided a description of the dog and the owner responsible. Ms Forbes, who uses a walking stick, said she has seen the man since but had been unable to confront him.

“He walks so quickly," she said. “I've called the animal services people at the government twice but they say I need to find out where he lives. But with a walking stick I can't follow him."

She believed the dog to be a pitbull but didn't blame the dog for the attack. “A pet is only what its owner lets it be," Ms Forbes said.

In 2012-13 Domestic Animal Services processed 1400 dogs.

“Approximately 5 per cent, 76 dogs, of this total number were impounded for being allegedly involved in an attack or harassment incident," a Domestic Animal Services spokeswoman said.

Since 2012 American staffordshire terriers have been at the top of the list for dog attack and harassment incidents while pitbulls have been fourth. Crossbreeds, cattle dogs and German shepherds rounded out the top five.

“Statistically, these breeds are also among the most popular breeds in the ACT," a DAS spokeswoman said. “It should also be noted that there have also been attacks from smaller breeds such as Maltese, cavoodles and dachshund.

“The most important factors in whether a dog is involved in an attack or harassment incident relate to the way it has been trained and looked after."

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/misty-the-cat-mauled-by-pitbull-20131126-2y6sk.html#ixzz2lqAmbgAL

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Maeby Fünke

Sorry, I'm going to re-word that.

If dogs aren't allowed to wander then why are cats allowed to?

Edited by Maeby Fünke

You choose to own an animal then it's your responsibility to contain it for its own safety and the safety of Australian wildlife. I was once jogging with Hank and a cat lept off a wall onto his head. It was just lucky he didn't snap. He would have been in trouble and who would have believed the cat attacked him. Could be the case here.

It doesn't actually say the cat was wandering. Nor does it say whether the dog that attacked the cat was on a lead. The article says a couple driving past her house saw the attack.

You can't have front fences in the ACT, so you have no way of keeping a dog out of your yard.

The cat may well have been on its own property and the dog came into the yard.

Yes, she may now consider keeping her cat inside or in a run, but at the moment, it isn't a legislated requirement, unless you live in one of the nominated cat containment areas (which Kaleen isn't)

lock your cat up lady and you won't have to worry about such things happening to it. Cats that are not secured inside a house or in a cat run are vulnerable to attack by dogs, other cats, getting hit by cars or wandering off.

Exactly.

Guess it wouldn't get as much outrage & reaction if the headline read

Stupid cat owner lets pet cat out & dog kills it.

Poor cat.

I find I get more hysteria and outrage after dog-on-cat attacks than any other type of attack.

I don't know what it is. I can of course understand being very upset by the incident, but I usually end up with the whole street ringing me up in arms, say the dog is vicious, dangerous, that it will attack a child next and wanting it destroyed.

Dogs attack cats.. this has been known since the beginning of time. People seem to have forgotten this :confused:

Edited by melzawelza

My dogs got attacked by a cat a few weeks ago. It came out from under a fence hissing and scratching. It was very lucky that both my dogs just looked to me to save them.

My council is currently looking at having cats contained 24/7, they are asking for our thoughts at the moment.

Edited by JulesP

Whilst the person who's dog attacked the cat should have done the right thing and check if the cat was okay etc, maybe the owner of the cat will now think about keeping her cat inside. Allowing them to roam is asking for trouble.

I feel the same way OSo. If the cat was kept confined within this lady's property then maybe she might get some sympathy from me. Don't get me wrong, it's sad that the cat was hurt, but wandering cats give me the sh*ts.

how do you know the cat was off it's own property?

Guest Wildthing

Whilst the person who's dog attacked the cat should have done the right thing and check if the cat was okay etc, maybe the owner of the cat will now think about keeping her cat inside. Allowing them to roam is asking for trouble.

I feel the same way OSo. If the cat was kept confined within this lady's property then maybe she might get some sympathy from me. Don't get me wrong, it's sad that the cat was hurt, but wandering cats give me the sh*ts.

how do you know the cat was off it's own property?

In reality, they have no idea, but as usual make assumptions. The full facts of any attack by any animal on another living creature of any species never gets reported, but people continue to make assumptions.

Canberra does not allow us to have front fences. I have cats and one was killed in its own house here in Canberra. Containing cats to their own property does not always work. Nor does containing dogs to their own property. It is the humans who are always at fault. In my case, both gates to the back garden were shut, but somehow, one got opened - no idea who or what did that as I was not home. I have been abused ever since by neighbours in the street because I had the audacity to report it to Domestic Animal Services and provide statements which resulted in the dog owners receiving seven $75 fines before they decided to confine their dogs. The owner of the dogs also told me he had hit the dog so hard she bled. I reported that to the RSPCA whose response was "how do you know he did" I said "I don't, but I would never forgive myself if he had and I did nothing". Needless to say, he had not. I might add, that the dogs were used for hunting and the owner expected them to know the difference between the bush and the suburbs. They escaped their yard on a regular basis and I would put them back thinking I was doing the decent thing by neighbours. I always informed them when I had put them back. One dog had tried to bite me twice which I also told them. Humans at fault again. I no longer put peoples wandering dogs back for them. As far as I am concerned, they can take responsibility for their own animals. If the dogs get killed roaming the streets, not my problem.

Edited by Wildthing

I am also wondering at the sense of hysteria regarding dog on cat attacks... ? Does not every dog comic ever written include an arch enemy cat? From the beginning of time people have known that some dogs don't like cats. Some dogs will kill cats. I can only wonder if the dog was maybe not serious in its attempt to kill the cat since my dog would go for the neck to throttle the life out of it in about 10 seconds flat, rather than extensively mauling it... If this was a Border Collie or a Jack Russel nobody would give a toss, it's only "news" because it was allegedly a "pitbull"

Yes, the cat may have been on its own front lawn. Or it may not. Yes the dog owner was wrong in allowing the dog to attack the cat. But there is no mention whether this happened on private property or not so it is easy to assume it did not and either way, I agree that cats should be confined to their property. If there is no front fence then how is the cat confined

Edited by BlackJaq

Of course I have no idea if the cat was one foot inside its boundary or not, and if you read my post I never said I knew if it was or not and how could I? What I said was if the cat was safely contained ie cannot get out, fenced yard, cat run, house it wouldn't be an issue. Which it wouldn't.

Cats may be allowed on an unfenced front lawn, but do that and as far as their safety goes your dancing with the devil. I think too much of my cats to allow them to be put in a situation that could see them injured or killed. The dog may have been off lead, if it was it should be treated accordingly. No mention was made of that either but it of course goes without saying.

So my comment still stands I am very sorry the cat was injured, however I hope the owner now confines the cat effectively as then there will not be another chance it could be injured in the same way

Edited by OSoSwift