Bitey Face

Guest hanko

Zig likes to play it as well..

He will nudge my hand and I move it in front of his face, like I am going to grab his face and he plays with my hand as the other 'face to bite', when we don't have a foster dog here for him to play with.. He never does this with me when we have a foster dog here.

Do you think this could be in an effort to keep their actual fighting skills current? I was thinking it's kind of like any combat sport/martial art where people practice a lot to get it right and do so without hurting another, all so that if they have to do it for real they are prepared.

Guest hankodie

Do you think this could be in an effort to keep their actual fighting skills current? I was thinking it's kind of like any combat sport/martial art where people practice a lot to get it right and do so without hurting another, all so that if they have to do it for real they are prepared.

Interesting point LG. Neither one of my 2 have ever been in a fight but they love to practice this game every day... Odie only started playing it with Hank when he got older though (6 months now). I think for the most part it's just play but it is interesting how they naturally mimic fighting behaviour. Hank and Odie like to take turns getting on top of one another and pretending to "kill" each other and rip each other's throats out! It's all in good fun though, when one of them is done the other one will flip over and go "OK, now you pretend to kill me. And make it look real this time!"

Stella got a bit carried away with the bitey leg game today apparently. My Sonny is limping around here this afternoon with a very sad, mournful look on his face.

Poor boy :( He does the sad face even worse when you ask him has he got a sore leg mind you, eye's roll !! No signs of broken skin anywhere though thankfully.

I will have to give him some extra TLC tonight :)

Edited by BC Crazy

Does anyone know why dogs like to play bitey face? I've been observing my 2 playing recently and they are growing more and more fond of this game. One will usually initiate it when the other is lying down, then they lie there for ages biting each other on the face and biting each other's limbs. Sometimes it will escalate into a game of chase but not always. They take turns lying on top of each other and "attacking". Sometimes one of them will take it too far and the other will let out a small yelp, they stop immediately to break and then they get right back into it :laugh:

It doesn't seem aggressive at all so I'm not too worried, despite my dogs being very different in size they generally tend to be quite good when they play. I'm just curious as to why they do it. Is it a sign of affection? Is it healthy play or should I be discouraging it?

Do anyone else's doggies love playing bitey face?

A video of my 2, this has become a morning ritual before breakfast :laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq1SQRsAUTs&feature=youtu.be

lol. A great looking pair.

Guest hankodie

Definitely broken! I play the victim of Bitey Face with Em - I just growl fiercely and wrestle her.....she gets really feral but has the most amazing bite inhibition. It's great fun.

I just tried doing this with Hank, he looked at me like "WTF you doin?" :laugh:

When we bred our litter of Gsds, the father of the litter, Seth his own rules about the puppies playing with him..........he would not partake in playing until the individual pup would engage him in a particular way which was licking his mouth and then sticking their heads in his mouth............

When one of the pups left us to another home with an older male Gsd, the first thing the pup did was go up to the older dog & stick his head in the older dog's mouth laugh.gif

Apparently the older dog was quite confused as what to do..............biggrin.gif

My pugs love bitey face. Max sometimes gets a little too into the game and tries to involve the humans and never understands why we don't appreciate her play-biting in the direction of our faces :laugh:

They do get very confused when a dog with a nose tries to join in on their squishie face bitey-face games, they don't understand that game at all and it usually leads to a chasey/zoomie/I'll get you're nose kind of game :rofl:

I have doubts. Dogs in fights don't go for faces so much as neck and, if they can get it, belly. Also, legwork is important for fighting. Bitey-face is as often as not played lying down.

With mine, the most notable thing about bitey-face is the volume. They are so loud that phone, TV, and radio are all drowned out. I often have to take the phone outside when the dogs get going.