Dogs On Seats

tarope

The only time I've ever put a dog on a seat at the vet is when Nova hadn't finished all his vacs yet, but getting heavy and I was injured, the vet nurse put a fresh clean towel on the seat and said a could plop him on that smile.gif

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hadn't thought about this before. I haven't had my small dog on the seat but I have had him on my lap. I do tend to carry him a lot at the vets for his safety as I find vet surgeries very dangerous places. Dogs can be in pain and not acting normally. Last time I was at the vet on the way out a woman was outside with a very aggressive Lab on lead - barking and lunging at us. If there is a health issue with contamination I can understand wanting to keep the seats clean. At my vets they do the floor over a few times a day - I suppose they don't want to do the seats as well. :) The real issue here is the lack of consistency - that would annoy me as well. Either it is a rule or it isn't!

We have bench seating at my vet .... I usually have Lacey on my lap or on the floor because the seating is quite slippery , it's safer for her to be sitting on the floor.

But seriously I would rather have a dog on a chair than a small child ... Children can be dirtier than dogs. I have never seen dogs on the seating either unless it's a small puppy but they are in their owners arms.

Edited by ♦ Marg ♦

Chloe goes to this vet about once a month to have her claws clipped because she won't let me do it. Being an ex-Rescue it's a good form of socialization...the first time I took her she wouldn't go in the door...was very scared tried to get away and bit the vet twice and for the next few visits the vet put a muzzle on her.

One year later Chloe walks in calmly...sits on the seat calmly (until the staff turned on her) and lets the vet clip her claws (no muzzle) and gets a treatie. She even sits on the scales...what a good girl. As I said before this rule is not applied to everyone which really gets me. Chloe went to open the vets door the other day (if you have a GSD you know what I mean) the receptionist said "don't let her do that,she'll damage the door"...true. How could my girl damage a steel door...these staff are bloody paranoid.

Chloe had her picture taken with Santa two weeks ago run by Paws and Hooves...Chloe sat on the seat with Santa...yes on the seat and Santa didn't say no dogs on seats...I don't think Santa would visit this vet.

That inconsistency would definitely be annoying!! Maybe mention it to the nurse next time. :laugh: See her explain why some dogs can and some can't.

Personally, I don't let my dogs up on seats at the vet. It's unnecessary. :shrug: They're fine on the floor. Having a dog in your lap because it's anxious about the vet would be reinforcing the bad behaviour, so I wouldn't do it either way. Rather wait outside where it's not "inside" the clinic. :)

Cats in crates are another thing altogether, obviously, since most idiots let their dogs go right up to cats in carriers and scare the sh%t out of them.

Actually I get peed off when I see dogs on seats, I don't want to sit on a chair a dog has just sat on!

chairs are for people, not dogs.

my dogs sit at my feet at the vets, but I often see dogs on laps and on chairs, many snarling and growling as I walk past with the stupid owner molly coddling them. :mad

Absolutely agree with this.

That inconsistency would definitely be annoying!! Maybe mention it to the nurse next time. :laugh: See her explain why some dogs can and some can't.

Personally, I don't let my dogs up on seats at the vet. It's unnecessary. :shrug: They're fine on the floor. Having a dog in your lap because it's anxious about the vet would be reinforcing the bad behaviour, so I wouldn't do it either way. Rather wait outside where it's not "inside" the clinic. :)

Cats in crates are another thing altogether, obviously, since most idiots let their dogs go right up to cats in carriers and scare the sh%t out of them.

Anxiety is not "bad behaviour" - its very real to the dog. Many vet behaviourists do not agree with the notion that comforting a distressed dog is reinforcing the anxiety - there seems to be differing opinions on that.

Anxiety is not "bad behaviour" - its very real to the dog. Many vet behaviourists do not agree with the notion that comforting a distressed dog is reinforcing the anxiety - there seems to be differing opinions on that.

Completely agree Rosetta.

I worked in vet hospitals for 15 years, I had to clean the chairs, I had no issue with it and still do not see the issue with it. Having said that we had plastic cleanable chairs. I got more annoyed if they pissed on cupboards, desks or merchandise.

I am surprised that so many people are do venemently anti it. They are dogs you are not going to get any more germs sitting on a seat after a dog than patting a dog or sitting next to one on the floor.

I have to say I just don't get it????

We actually insist that cats are not placed on the floor in their carrier. We ask clients to place them on a seat or on our front desk in an elevated position. Being on the floor really stresses them out, especially when people let their dogs go up to them. It's not very nice for the vet to have to deal with a stressed out cat! We don't get many dogs up on the seats unless they're in their owners arms or laps.

I worked in vet hospitals for 15 years, I had to clean the chairs, I had no issue with it and still do not see the issue with it. Having said that we had plastic cleanable chairs. I got more annoyed if they pissed on cupboards, desks or merchandise.

I am surprised that so many people are do venemently anti it. They are dogs you are not going to get any more germs sitting on a seat after a dog than patting a dog or sitting next to one on the floor.

Especially when they're either too embarrassed or just don't care enough to tell you that their dog just peed on the shelf of dog food or the leash display rack! Seriously it happens sometimes, just tell me so I can clean it right away!

One of mine is anxious at the clinic, he usually ends up on the seat next to me or trying to get on my lap. I don't encourage him to get on the chair but don't push him off either.

Can't say I've really noticed as having non cat friendly dogs I usually leave them in the car and check out the waiting room first. If the coast is clear Stan drags me through the waiting room as he luuuurves the vets, I drag Maddie behind us, she loathes it :( I do know they have solid plastic chairs so I don't think they would care.

For me, it's not about hygiene but more about dog behaviours/etiquette. Some dogs may see a dog sitting on a chair as challenging, especially if the dog on the chair does the whole aggressive bark thing. But as I said, I have never seen this at a vet and if I saw it, I wouldn't go in or I would leave the room.

There are dogs that are arses regardless of the height they are sitting. If mine get up when asked, get down when asked and sit their quietly then I cannot fathom the issue.

Having said that generally if I take more than one in they are standing or whatever on the floor as I am more interested in making sure they are quiet and still and on short leads so I can head off any other dogs who feel the need to come up to them. They would sit on my lap as opposed to the chair anyway.

Anyway guess I will continue just to not get the issue and leave it at that!

Completely agree Rosetta.

Ditto.

Being at the vet makes Moose anxious (not overly but a bit :) ) so he sits on my lap and I just give him a few pats, nothing over the top. I wouldn't consider that reinforcing his anxiety, just a bit of reassurance.

I don't have an issue with dogs on seats but don't see it very often, most of the time dogs are on the floor or lap if they're small.

One of my dogs is super anxious when she goes to the vet and the last time I had to take her, she jumped up on the seat next to me a couple of times. I made her get down straight away, it didn't even occur to me to let her sit up there. At home she loves relaxing on the lounge and even hops up on office chairs sometimes, but I wouldn't allow her to sit on the chair next to me at the vet if she is well enough to be on the floor.

Letting a dog up next to you or on your lap if it is uneasy or scared is comforting, what a load of crap that its enforcing bad behaviour.

Any one that walks into a vet and has a problem with it maybe shouldn't enter a place full of animals.

Really amazes me how petty some people can be, is a bit of dirt or dog hair really going to hurt anyone?

Considering it a place for animals you would think it would be fine for them to be on a seat . At our original vet they had couches , you would always find a dog sitting beside their owner patiently waiting to see the vet. At my new vet they have small hard chairs , not really that inviting for humans let alone dogs lol.