Good Family Dog, But Also Guard Dog

bossyboo

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also find that the Maremma is not likely to leave his territory.

Maybe your own dog, but they're renowned for pissing off if not fenced in well.

As far as I know they "piss off" mostly in an attempt to increase their territory, not to find a completely new abode. I also thought they would be likely to return to their charges?

Many owners and breeders I have spoken with recommend walking boundaries with the dog to teach him the end of "his territory". This would be a pointless exercise if it made no difference? Also many farmers own only simple farm fencing and while Maremmas are known for attempting to enter neighboring paddocks to bring those charges under their protection, I have never heard of them simply leaving if they have been bonded correctly...

Could you maybe explain in a little more detail what you mean? If referring to your own dogs, have they been bonded to stock? If so, do they simply leave or do they return?

My current dog is not fenced in well, in that I have plain farm fencing (sheep mesh, plain wire and barbed on top) and he wore a yoke for a fair while to stop him fitting through the fence. He has now been loose for several months and has yet to "piss off". He will, however, attempt to enter the next door paddocks to patrol them and initiate contact with next door's sheep. We are still working on this (again with the use of a yoke as only pingg string is permissible in NSW).

Rottis LOVE to swim.

They are considered an medium to large dog. You would be surprised at just how many people see a rotti up close for the first time and ask if it is a miniature. They are not as big as you may think. Of course dogs are bigger than bitches and if you desex prior to sexual maturity they end up significantly taller than they would if left entire for longer or indefinitely.

They certainly are a strong dog and definitely thrive on living in a family environment.

Being an assertive owner is just that. I would not expect it to change with a bigger dog. You do not need experience with a rotti to own one. Just some good basic knowledge of the breed and natural assertive leadership skills. It helps if you love the breed also. A chosen breed absolutely must suit the situation, but no point getting a breed you can't love... cause they really wanna love you lots :)

Nek is right, temperaments vary a lot and if you go down this path get our advice because you do not want one from a high drive/working kennel. You want a calm, quiet dog. It will guard it's own and offer you all the feelings of security you need.

Rottis LOVE kids. They are so affectionate and will happily play with their young family for hours or equally be content to lay around.

Yes Rakaaz breeds lovely dogs with great temperaments. There are also good breeders in QLD and NSW.

Edited by dyzney

I guess I want more of a deterant than a dog to bite

Ideally, the best deterrent factor is a breed of dog that a potential offender can easily recognise has protection capabilities to deter them from attempting entry onto your property, that is you don't want them to try and test the dog, you want them to move on from your property because a certain breed of dog that they fear is present. Whilst a Maremma may be effective with an offender on the fence line, they look like Golden Retrievers to the untrained eye, Goldens and Labs have low deterrent factor compared with a GSD or Rotty in criminal eyes.

From statistical data on the breed of dogs that potential offenders avoid, breeds other than GSD's and Rotties generally need to show strong aggression on the fence line where the GSD and Rotty has the same impact or better by standing there quietly in watch......we must be mindful in criminal eyes that they easily recognise GSD's and we can put Belgian Shepherd's in that group too and of course the Rotty and perhaps the Dobe to a lesser degree, they know the capabilities of these breeds trained in protection and they never know what level of training that the dog in question has achieved. The quite watch could be awaiting a full blown attack should the offender cross the boundary line and the possibility of that occurring is greater in the traditional protection breeds.

The same applies on leash in personal protection where a handler threatens to release a dog, the criminal will size up the possibility of the dog's training and with a GSD or Rotty, the handler is 90% there in bluff as the criminal well knows that these breeds can and are trained to attack on command where the likelihood of other breeds not used in those roles to attack on command is slim in comparison.

The beauty of traditional protection breeds is that as a pet and family dog to have an impact, they don't need to be aggressive or show aggression at all and their mere presence is enough to keep the potential offender guessing as to their protection capabilities and if the offender calls it wrong and the dog is trained to attack, a trip to hospital and possible police arrest for their criminal intent will be the likely outcome. With non traditional protection breeds, they don't come with additional bluff factor and generally need to be more stranger aggressive to provide the deterrent impact.

A couple Rotties swaging around the property should keep all the neighborhood riff raff away.

Rottweilers to the riff raff brain condition goes something like, 'I'm not going any where near that joint!' ' They got Rockwheelers!'. where as other types of dogs may only make them slightly wary about getting up to no good on your property.

A couple Rotties swaging around the property should keep all the neighborhood riff raff away.

Rottweilers to the riff raff brain condition goes something like, 'I'm not going any where near that joint!' ' They got Rockwheelers!'. where as other types of dogs may only make them slightly wary about getting up to no good on your property.

That's exactly what they do :laugh: Because dogs interfere with their criminal activities, they do size dogs up and when the possibility of getting bitten in the process is potentially high, it's often all that's needed as a deterrent for them to move onto an easier target.

thanks for all the replys, the pictures of the rotties lying around make them look so placid!! I think it is the head that makes me think the are some massive dog even though they are a similar size to a RR. I will contact some breeders and I let them know my situation, and see what information and recommendations I get back. I will even contact the breeder you guys mentioned. I will also look into the boxer and RR..Any recommendations on breeders for them would be appreciated. One of my friends actually has a maremma, they use to live on acreage but now live in town. He is huge, heaps of shedding!!But wonderful dog just sits outside the door and keeps watch..

I have spoken to hubby about it, lets say he is ok with a boxer, but abit hesitant about a Rottie. He did an electrical job for some people who had two that apparently just guarded the shed and workshop, they weren't very friendly and he was always nervous around them, but I guess that was there job, even though probably not a very nice life. He would like to see one in person that is more family orientated around kids etc, so hopefully we after some research we can maybe take a trip to Brisbane and visit some breeders.

I know some gorgeous rotties who are super polite and friendly out and about away from home. If I wanted a rottie - I would definitely to that breeder (in SA). I know a few that I will cross the road or the park to avoid. They act friendly/excited then bite hard.

So you do have to choose the right dog (and breeder) and train appropriate behaviour. Probably goes for any dog. I know a golden retriever who also attacks other dogs - hard for most people to believe but he's not welcome at their local dog park when other dogs are there.

Rotties, GSD, Dobes are definitely seen as dogs not to be messed with. Same with Staffordshire Bull Terriers, Bull Terriers, and Cattle dogs. Heaps of people cross the road to avoid my dog.

Personally - I wouldn't take an Airedale seriously. They're such cuddle bums. Same with ridgebacks - tho I've not met one at home. Both them and Labs you risk being knocked flat by big puppy zoomies. Which can lead to hospital for the skittled person.

I don't let my dog invite these guys to play zoomies any more - not unless there are no other people in danger of being skittled.

Guest donatella

Our very loving and affectionate family.

In this photo aged from 8 years - 3 months

Ohhhhh I just love Rottis, I think they're such regal stunning looking dogs! How lucky are you to have 4!

Our very loving and affectionate family.

In this photo aged from 8 years - 3 months

So jealous right now... *mutter mutter*

My neighbour has an Airedale - impressive bark, but no actual backup... lol! Then again, if it were dark, you'd not know that it was a sooky Airedale behind the noise...

T.

I also find that the Maremma is not likely to leave his territory.

Maybe your own dog, but they're renowned for pissing off if not fenced in well.

As far as I know they "piss off" mostly in an attempt to increase their territory, not to find a completely new abode. I also thought they would be likely to return to their charges?

Some do, some don't. Depends on the dog, you can't pigeon hole them all in to doing what is expected.

You are lucky you don't live in my area. A roaming dog gets shot.

My point is that they should be well fenced, as should any dog. But some LGD's in particular are good at testing fences.