Horrified By Children's Actions

RiverStar-Aura

I just witnessed the most disgusting behaviour towards a poor, shy dog by a family of two children and their parents. :(

I was standing outside a cafe waiting for my t/a coffee and there's a woman outside chatting to a friend with her SWF leashed to the table. It's being well behaved -- lying down, quiet and minding its own business -- when two children sitting at a nearby table start throwing hot chips to it and being encouraged to do so by their dad.

As the dog stretches to reach the food they're throwing out of reach, the eldest of the two girls starts swinging her leg at it making the dog jump away startled and scared. Neither parent said a word and owner is oblivious so I stepped in to stop the behaviour.

The parents got annoyed that I said something so I asked if it'd be okay for me to kick at his kids. The owner didn't seem grateful either so I took my coffee and left.

WTF is wrong with people?

Good on you for standing up for the defenceless! Its distressing when you see people acting in way they should know better.

I hope to goodness that family don't have pets at home, although it doesn't seem the father is an animal lover to allow his children to behave that way. :mad

Bugger it just kick the parents. Then when a dog bites one of the kids one day the parents will cry blue murder :mad

Our neighbour has a big ambull thing which is constantly barking and tearing at the fence. No one EVER goes out into the back yard with it, ever. The only thing her kid has learned now is to go out and scream SHUTUP at the dog, scream some more at it and belt it. Thumbsup for parenting AND animal care from that scozza.

Children are capable of ignorance and cruelty.

Its up to adults to shape them in better directions.

However in my opinion, threats of violence to children are not the best way to deal with potential abuse of dogs. Not good role modelling for a start.

Hold up your phone and say brightly that you've just captured the kids being cruel to an animal, the father encouraging it, and the owner not protecting her dog. You're sure That RSPCA show will be interested.

Edited by Sheridan

What was the fathers reaction to your question about kicking his kids?

However in my opinion, threats of violence to children are not the best way to deal with potential abuse of dogs. Not good role modelling for a start.

I was actually a bit more diplomatic than actually stating that perhaps I should kick his kids. I merely commented that while the girls hadn't connected with the dog, it was scared of their swinging legs and that I doubt he'd appreciate a similar action directed at his children. Their mother did have the grace to look embarrassed, but if think that was more about being confronted rather than the kids' behaviour, which she had been smiling at.

The father basically just told me to mind my own business and that they weren't my kids. Thank goodness they weren't my kids; had they been they would've copped a hiding!

And that's why I don't have kids!

What was the fathers reaction to your question about kicking his kids?

I was actually a bit more diplomatic than actually stating that perhaps I should kick his kids. I merely commented that while the girls hadn't connected with the dog, it was scared of their swinging legs and that I doubt he'd appreciate a similar action directed at his children. Their mother did have the grace to look embarrassed, but if think that was more about being confronted rather than the kids' behaviour, which she had been smiling at.

The father basically just told me to mind my own business and that they weren't my kids. Thank goodness they weren't my kids; had they been they would've copped a hiding!

And that's why I don't have kids!

I applaud you for your actions but you can rest assured that not all kids are like that. My 9 year old granddaughter wants to be a wildlife ranger and treats my dogs, as do all my other grandchildren with love and respect, and when we go to either of my son's for dinner, the dogs are invited as well. It's all in the upbringing.

Good on you for standing up for the dog! My kids, having grown up with pets from the day they were born wouldn't even *think* to do something like this. They're much more respectful than that!

Some people are idiots!