Dirt Like Stuff Around Itchy Area

giraffez

This doesn't wash of easily with a bath.

If it doesnt wash off it certainly isn't flea dirt. Flea dirt virtually dissolves in water.

Edit to add: fleas do not lay eggs on dogs. The eggs are laid in the environment. They are white in appearance and difficult to see as they are so tiny.

Flea excretement and dried blood is what you see on infested dogs and cats.

Edited by ~Anne~

It's can easily become a chronic problem so I'd get onto it quickly.. For a quick relief Malaseb works well, but I wouldn't use it for longer periods of time. I've also heard good things about ACV. But most importantly a diet change is probably required, yeast infection thrives on sugars/carbs so try to cut those out of the dog's diet. Also fish oil in fairly high doses seems to help. My dog had pretty yeasty feet for a while, they're finally starting to clear up now. Takes time though. :( Also! Moisture is BAD, yeast will go crazy if you let moisture sit on the dog. A good towel will be your best friend. If you manage to find Molkosan that's also a good product, you can both feed it and use it as an external aid for wiping the affected areas with.

Edited by Hockz

I've been bathing Ollie with calendula tea as well but it doesn't seem to relieve the itch :(

The link I posted is a site that sells good products which supposedly helps as well, so I might look into some of them. They're very pricey though.

Thank you all. He has been licking at it because the spot is all brown from the saliva.

Are there any anti fungal cream I can get at the chemist that can be applied on him?

How about cortizone or something like that... I think it was some anti fungal for the human feet.

Thank you all. He has been licking at it because the spot is all brown from the saliva.

Are there any anti fungal cream I can get at the chemist that can be applied on him?

How about cortizone or something like that... I think it was some anti fungal for the human feet.

Canesten?

I use that on my pug when she gets a few fungal spots.

A yeast bloom is always due to an immune system problem. It can be a minor local problem, caused by a minor allergic reaction to perhaps a bee sting or even the laundry powder a visitor uses or it can become a huge systemic problem if left untreated for some time.

It can be caused by stress ( the things that stress different dogs may surprise you, we are not talking abuse or anything) but by far the most common reason that I have heard (especially in chronic cases) is that the dog has developed an allergy to something in the diet - usually the protein in grains. It can be something that they have been eating for years, suddenly their metabolic processes no longer work as efficiently.

Severely yeasty dogs will bloom if they even get a mouthful of the allergen.

First thing to try is an antifungal rinse (any good canine ear cleaner or 50/50 listerine solution will do in a pinch, but ACV is just as readily available and gentler where the dog has broken skin from scratching). If that relieves symptoms but the problem keeps recurring, next try a grain free diet.

If any other symptoms start occuring, definitely work with your vet, but beware that some vets will just throw antibiotics and/or antihistamines at the problem which is not necessarily helpful, so be prepared with your research and make sure you choose a vet that is willing to listen.

Mel BTW Calendula Tea and the like are fantastic for relieving allergy itches, but don't really do much for yeast bloom in my experience - I think the yeast likes the stuff!laugh.gif

Edited to add: I personally never recommend creams or lotions or anything that leaves a moist greasy residue because the moisture just encourages the yeast no matter how antifungal the stuff is supposed to be. I always use astringents for a fast clear of the symptoms, always bearing in mind that if the symptoms recur you need to seek the cause and address it.

Edited by RuralPug

When I went to the vet about the same matter all they did was sell me some Malaseb and tell me to bathe the dog in it. In my experience vets can be a bit useless when it comes to yeast infections as they'll rather treat it than try to solve the underlying problem.

A confirmed diagnosis will never hurt, but in my opinion getting it can be a bit of a waste of money with something as common as yeast (which is exactly what this sounds like to me).