My Heart Dog Is Dying

Sammyelle

Hugs to you Sammyelle and to your beautiful dog Ice.

I was in this exact same situation late last year. I found out my gorgeous staffy girl Maggie had stage 3 Mast Cell tumour and that her time was limited - the average was about 10 weeks :( Sadly, she left us on 2nd January, but we had a wonderful Christmas together.

I spent as much time with her as I could and when she was still well enough we did all the things she loved to do, swimming in the dam, cuddles and kisses and lots of just hanging out together, oh, and sleeping in the big bed with her humans :)

I did plan on what and how I wanted when the time came and I found it comforting to have a plan.

I have a beautiful photo of her in my lounge, with a photo of my other old staffy that we only lost last year too.

I also have a beautiful pendant with her hair embedded in it, I wear it every day.

I had a memorial plaque made for her grave site, which I received last week, and this weekend my girlfriends and I will send her off with a wake. We will have champagne and cover her grave with rose petals and I will read the Rainbow Bridge. We'll cry and remember silly stories and have a great time. I find it really helps to cry, laugh, and talk all the time about her.

I really feel for you, it's so hard, but you can make the most of the time you have with her, just love her, be with her.

Thinking of you.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't wish to get your hopes up either, but I would be going for a hair-DNA sample and following the directions for herbal remedy/supplements following the analysis. It may turn out to be a matter of spending money without the results you might hope for, but I do have a good amount of faith in herbal/natural supplements for support and remedy, and it may prove worth your while.

I'm really sorry you're going through this. It is heart and gut wrenching.

Photoshoot is a great idea. I have a lovely professional canvas of my old lady in the lounge room. I look at it every day. Depending on where you are in NSW I can recommend someone who loves dogs and is very reasonably priced to do a shoot with you.

Also - just spend lots of time together doing things she loves. I found it most comforting to just spend time with my girl in our final days together.

Lots of love to you at this stage - it's never easy.

You cant repair the damage done to kidneys but depending on what the problem is that is causing the damage you can have a fair go at preventing any more damage - there are several herbs recommended for this which would do no harm and may help. It may never get any better but it may not get any worse.

You cant repair the damage done to kidneys but depending on what the problem is that is causing the damage you can have a fair go at preventing any more damage - there are several herbs recommended for this which would do no harm and may help. It may never get any better but it may not get any worse.

Steve - Elderly Mum was experiencing urinary frequency issues. No UTI (that was checked out numerous times over and always came up negative). Back then, bloods showed kidney function as ok. Hair-DNA indicated mild kidney disease. Administration of natural supplements very quickly resulted in an improvement in urinary function and output.

The above would be different to more advanced kidney disease, but doesn't this indicate that there can be some damage which can be repaired? If it couldn't, I wouldn't expect there'd be any improvement to what Mum was experiencing but would expect it to not become worse. But (fortunately) a good degree of improvement was very evident and in fairly quick turn-around.

They use a scale to describe the amount of damage and once it gets to a damage situation rather than initial phases of kidney disease its virtually impossible to reverse it - your Mum's wasn't bad enough yet for it to be showing up in kidney function tests - certainly not as renal failure but for example once you get to a situation where you are looking at dialysis the chances of it repairing are nil. Much in the OP's case will depend on how much damage has been done. Once its diagnosed as chronic renal failure its starts to feel scary.

If this were my dog I would take it to someone who was a natural therapy / herbalist practitioner and look at whether they had anything to offer - and Id do that quickly

The above would be different to more advanced kidney disease, but doesn't this indicate that there can be some damage which can be repaired? If it couldn't, I wouldn't expect there'd be any improvement to what Mum was experiencing but would expect it to not become worse. But (fortunately) a good degree of improvement was very evident and in fairly quick turn-around.

By the time a dog is showing symptoms of chronic kidney failure, the majority of kidney function has already been lost and it cannot be repaired. Sadly there is no cure. The only thing shown to improve quality of life, and sometimes slow the progression, is the strict kidney diet. Other medications and supplements can be added to help ease the symptoms as they arise.

Sammyelle, I'm sorry that you're going through this with your beautiful girl. :( I lost my dog Coco to kidney failure last year. It's an awful thing. How is she going now, is she still eating?

Thanks Kayla1 and Steve for the explanations.

I've become one who strongly believes that where there's life, there's hope and knowing the great things that herbal supplements/remedies can do to help the body, I too would explore that path if it were me.

It's a really, really, rotten time to be in and I feel for the OP very, very much.

Edited by Erny

There is a difference between acute renal failure and chronic renal failure. The acute type can sometimes be reversed, presumably if it's treated early and aggressively. Perhaps that is what you were thinking of? Chronic renal failure is different as the damage cannot be reversed, but further damage can sometimes be slowed by adopting the kidney diet.

My heart goes out to you. I lost my lovely girl 7 years ago from cancer and still think of her every day. Spoil her during the time you have with her and lots of photos. There will be plenty of tears but hopefully the memories you have with her now will create some smiles too in the future. Hugs to you both.

My heart broke for you when I read about Ice.I lost my heart dog,Katie my darling Keeshond ,5years ago from cancer and I think of her every day.A picture of her and I is always on my bedside table.I had Suki as well,but Katie went through so much with me,like you I couldn't imagine life without her! I have two more babies now that I love so much,but a don't think I'll ever have another Katie.I send you very big hugs.