When Someone Wants To Use Your Stud...

Leema

When someone wants to use your stud...  

33 members have voted

1. 1. What of these things matter the most about the other party?

• That you know the owner already and/or feel that you can trust the owner
    • That you approve of the bitch
    • That the bitch is titled in conformation
    • That the bitch is titled in other sports
    • That the owner partakes in conformation with their dog(s)
    • That the owner partakes in other sports with their dog(s)
    • The owner is willing to accept your terms (e.g. stud fee, limitations on registration of puppies, transport of bitch to dog, etc)
    • The owner has extensive experience in the breed (e.g. owned the breed for years, shown numerous dogs to titles, bred numerous litters)
    • You want a puppy from that mating
    • Other (please explain)
  2. 2. What of these things matter regarding the other party?

• That you know the owner already and/or feel that you can trust the owner
    • That you approve of the bitch
    • That the bitch is titled in conformation
    • That the bitch is titled in other sports
    • That the owner partakes in conformation with their dog(s)
    • That the owner partakes in other sports with their dog(s)
    • The owner is willing to accept your terms (e.g. stud fee, limitations on registration of puppies, transport of bitch to dog, etc)
    • The owner has extensive experience in the breed (e.g. owned the breed for years, shown numerous dogs to titles, bred numerous litters)
    • You want a puppy from that mating
    • Other (please explain)

The most important thing to me is that I can trust them. I would only ever deal with someone I know and it would have to be someone with a proven track history for being a responsible breeder. By that I mean standing behind any puppy they breed, selling them to only the best and most responsible homes and doing all the appropriate health tests for the breed. Basically they have to be someone I would be comfortable selling a puppy to and I am very fussy abut my homes

Can you expand on what you mean by ethics, Haredown?

What makes an ethical breeder?

What are deal breakers in the field of ethics?

That they won't give me the run around over paying the stud fee

That they will not rip off puppy buyers and will take care to place the pups in decent homes and provide guidance to them.

Also that they will provide decent care for the bitch and pups.

And that any issues with the litter won't be automatically blamed on the dog.

As Cowanbree says trust is the big one. I'd probably expect to know them or know of them to some degree.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

The most important thing to me is that I can trust them. I would only ever deal with someone I know and it would have to be someone with a proven track history for being a responsible breeder. By that I mean standing behind any puppy they breed, selling them to only the best and most responsible homes and doing all the appropriate health tests for the breed. Basically they have to be someone I would be comfortable selling a puppy to and I am very fussy abut my homes

Are you saying that you'd never allow your dog to be used to sire a breeder's first litter?

Are you saying that you'd never allow your dog to be used to sire a breeder's first litter?

Not 100%. Someone very new to the breed who has a litter in the first couple of years - probably not but someone who has been round for a while and I have got to know well maybe.

Wouldn't you want to see the bitches papers to make sure she is main registered and make sure that the owner is a financial member of their governing body and holds a financial prefix. :)

Edited by oakway

Ethics. Particularly in how they place puppies and what they do after they are sold. But also in their general actions. As mentioned above, it has to be someone I would be happy selling a pup to (and I am fussy...)

Outlook. I want to know what they plan to achieve and what their goals are in breeding the litter and in general.

All the basics - registration, prefix etc. All the i's dotted and t's crossed.

That the dog will complement the bitch both phenotypically and genotypically and I am happy that the dog will have something to contribute.

That they are honest on what they need to improve on or issues they are aware of. I will be honest, and I expect them to be too.

Health testing. For me, if they haven't done even the minimum of hips I would personally not even consider. If they want to use one of my dogs, it would be a condition that they have to be done first. And I want to see the paperwork.

While not being titled or not showing is not an immediate no, I would want to see evidence that they are learning and can be objective and are developing an all round dog knowledge through their activities.

Some showing/competing/working of some kind is a plus, particularly as I would want to see progeny of the dog out and about achieving things.

Edited by espinay2

I have no real interest in the people behind the bitches that may want to use my stud. I must approve the bitch, this takes into account many of the other items you've listed such as titles or experience in the breed however I do not dismiss a bitch nor her owner for those reasons alone.

The bitch's pedigree needs to make sense with that of my stud dog. The bitch needs to benefit in some way from my stud dog.

What the owner of the bitch does with the pups is not my right to dictate, so I can't tell them what they can or can not do with the offspring nor who to sell them to. That goes back to approving the bitch..if I feel that they are a bit shonky, they will not use my stud dog.

At the end of the day, if I don't approve, for any reason, the male will not be put to the bitch....it's very simple. Any questions or flags pop into my head at any time, it simply doesn't happen....sure they can find another stud....that's the right of the bitch owner.

Every enquiry should be taken at its own merit.... no hard or fast rules apply.

Some here might dismiss just because it is someones first litter but remember - Anyone starting out in breeding is unlikely to have their own stud dog..... We all had to start somewhere and the rules and regulations are making it more and more difficult.

The world of pedigree dogs will grow smaller in the next 10 years unless the breeders help and encourage new people into the dog world and that includes breeding....

The ANKC is often confusing with their forms and requirements - even something that used to be as simple as getting a breed prefix.... it is important that new people be given support and the owner of the stud dog can/should be prepared to guide a new person.

Our Dog World can seem a very big judgemental world - just think of what we see on Forums/Newspapers/TV/Facebook

People complaining about their being too many dogs so only get a dog from rescue.

Welfare often seem prepared to condemn our breeding practices as unhealthy and cruel.

Even vets will advocate the benefits of hybrid vigour....... (misguided fools lol) but you can see their point at times.....

THINK BEFORE YE JUDGE......

Note: I did not vote as both question are nearly identical and I don't see the point of this poll

Edited by alpha bet

Most important is the owner because with Staffords it's not just these pups but the entire breed which could suffer badly if pups were placed in the wrong hands. Different breed I would definitely have answered that the bitch is the most important thing.

I would also like the person wanting to use my do have a true interest in the breed and the breed history and to be an active member of the breed club (assuming there is one). As we all have to start somewhere I would not have a problem in a first time breeder using my dog if other boxes were ticked.

I often think many of us would not be in the dog world as we are, had the conditions some wish to impose on new owners/breeders had they been imposed on us.

Edited by Airedaler

We where all first timers once & i think many forget that BUT by the same token i think many of us grew up in an era where breeding was taken more seriously ,we learnt,we talked & we did the hardwork,

There are those same people out there & i guess its up to the breeders to source the good & bad .

We get aot of stud emails & 99% have no clue at all,don't even now the breed should be health tested,We have a breed highly sort after by pet shops,BYB & cross breeders so we are very strict on who we say yes to & all our puppies are spayed because the sad reality is trusting people in our breed is very hard & we are seeing alot of awful specimens being breed & sold to poor unsuspecting people .

If they tick all the boxes sure & yes our dogs have been used but its not on the top of our list to have our dogs used alot just because

I have seen a very, very experience exhibitor and Judge allow a newbie to use one of her dogs over a bitch that was completely below standard. The person who owned the stud dog is very much a "name" and a "face". I complimented the stud dog owner on allowing their dog to be used by this newbie and they said - without people helping the newbies, the newbies quickly get disheartened and leave. Most people in the stud dog owner's position would have said "no way" to the enquiry but instead this person has assisted the newbie with both use of a stud dog and referrals for better quality dogs. Shame that there are not more people like this stud dog owner. I would name them but they would hate the publicity.

I have seen a very, very experience exhibitor and Judge allow a newbie to use one of her dogs over a bitch that was completely below standard. The person who owned the stud dog is very much a "name" and a "face". I complimented the stud dog owner on allowing their dog to be used by this newbie and they said - without people helping the newbies, the newbies quickly get disheartened and leave. Most people in the stud dog owner's position would have said "no way" to the enquiry but instead this person has assisted the newbie with both use of a stud dog and referrals for better quality dogs. Shame that there are not more people like this stud dog owner. I would name them but they would hate the publicity.

Really don't know how this is HELPING a newbie. Surely it would be more use for these fantastic breeders to help the newbie get a better quality bitch so they don't have the very very long climb up from the bottom. Breeding up from "completely below standard" bitches is in itself extremely disheartening and such a slow process that it would definitely put off most newbies.

Edited by Sandra777