58 members have voted

1. 1. How do your dogs react to nature shows on TV

• Ignore it
    • Ignore most of the time, but watch animal scenes or some people scenes
    • bark and get unsettled, perhaps running outside, when there is barking
    • watch most of the time
    • show signs of fear at gunshot or loud sudden noises
    • other (explain)

One of our tibbies loves watching dog/animal programs, tennis and Masterchef (must be the food and all those people rushing around!). I was curious about his interest in tennis on TV so we took him out to Uni QLD tennis courts where he was fixated on watching the ball go back and forth. It kept him entertained for ages. My husband said it was really good 'environmental enrichment'!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine take no notice of it now, although when Moo was a puppy he liked to watch America's Next Top Model :laugh: Only reaction now is if there are dogs barking on the TV Sarge feels compelled to grumble, as if he's telling them to be quiet.

Both dogs used to go nuts when they heard whimpering from the ad for haunted...

Now they ignore that ad, but will perk up at any show that has dogs. Our girl will be especially interested if there's puppies crying and seems slightly distressed that she can't find them.

My two are hilarious with the TV. Zeus loves watching regardless of what's on, but Kirah's mostly interested in animals (especially birds and insects -- she's a terrier!). I once tuned into David Attenborough and he was talking about sea birds and Kirah wanted to eat them.

Both of mine also recognise photos of dogs -- Zeus once barked at the photo of a German Shep on a box for a doggy door when I took him into Pet Barn. Kirah recognises the cartoon dog face on their signs and barks at them -- she also loves to snap at the fish in our tanks, but Zeus couldn't care less about them.

our two dogs Dezzy and Jessie don't watch tv that much but Pink watches TV all the time....when we go out we have to leave the tv on a music channel because I have caught Pink twice in mid air jumping towards the tv to get the cat and a lion which were on a tv show she was watching :laugh:

We can't watch certain shows that have nature type noises as it sends the pugs into a barking frenzy, but one of them really has a loud opinion on women with a certain haircut. Only on TV, not in person, but whenever one comes on the screen with brown hair in a short bob style, he goes nuts :laugh:

They also run to the front door when a doorbell rings on tv, or an elevator dings. We don't have a doorbell so I'm not sure where they picked up this bizzare habit :rofl:

They also run to the front door when a doorbell rings on tv, or an elevator dings. We don't have a doorbell so I'm not sure where they picked up this bizzare habit :rofl:

Mine too! He runs to the front door in a fit of woo-woo barking.

Edited by puggedforlife

Ezio knows it is there, and now and then it looks like he is sitting and watching it but he bores easy and I think most of his staring at the screen is because he is reacting to the noise and not the images. I could be wrong, but to me his interest seems to peak when he finds a sound worth listening to, then he will go back to whatever he is doing.

An embarrassing story about a supposedly smart dog.... (and luckily she has only ever done it once but we did laugh a lot....)

I can't remember the program but a flock of sheep came on the screen and Jazz went from sleeping to alert immediately, then as they walked across the screen and "off" of it, she did a lovely arc across the lounge room and then tried to go behind the TV to find them. Her daughter is not much better - the first time she saw sheep onTV, she tried to get onto the cabinet and stare at them.

Mostly they ignore it but if there are animals on there, in particular flocks of animals they will watch intently.

An embarrassing story about a supposedly smart dog.... (and luckily she has only ever done it once but we did laugh a lot....)

I can't remember the program but a flock of sheep came on the screen and Jazz went from sleeping to alert immediately, then as they walked across the screen and "off" of it, she did a lovely arc across the lounge room and then tried to go behind the TV to find them. Her daughter is not much better - the first time she saw sheep onTV, she tried to get onto the cabinet and stare at them.

Mostly they ignore it but if there are animals on there, in particular flocks of animals they will watch intently.

Nova has only seen the uni sheep from a large distance before, but then there was a sheep drenching ad on TV and he did the same thing!

Nova has only seen the uni sheep from a large distance before, but then there was a sheep drenching ad on TV and he did the same thing!

Phew, glad it is not just my fools then. What interested me about it though (when I stopped laughing) is how she just knew what they were and that other animals did not get the same response. I do herd with both of them and both were exposed to sheep prior to first seeing them on TV but I would not have expected them to recognise them like that on a TV screen.

Phew, glad it is not just my fools then. What interested me about it though (when I stopped laughing) is how she just knew what they were and that other animals did not get the same response. I do herd with both of them and both were exposed to sheep prior to first seeing them on TV but I would not have expected them to recognise them like that on a TV screen.

They obviously really like sheep!

I do think they recognise familiar things, but often there will be dogs barking on the TV and Nova goes and stares out the window instead!

I really need to find a place around here that will let this "city dog" have a go at herding smile.gif

Patty (6 mo old Lab puppy) is alert to animals, sometimes barking at deer, dogs, horses. She also watches people. She especially likes face closeups, as in talking heads, or some music performances. Singing is good. Another favorite category is women with heavy eye makeup and dark lipstick, especially if they show a lot of pearly whites.

My dogs as a general rule have not been interested but Jerry Lee loves a good movie. Typical boy loves action movies. He watches with great concentration all the way through. He is a dog that watches though and copies everything I do.

He also paints and attempts to type on the computer. :laugh:

Blaez on the other hand is undone by shiny tiles. He is so taken with that handsome fella he cant look away! Maybe if I video him and play it on the tv :laugh:

Joey used to yap excitedly at action /animal scenes on tv . I would often say to my husband i wonder what he'd do if a big animal came jumping out at the screen at him laugh.gif

Renae's never been interested in tv at all, even before she went deaf.

Miah loves watching tv, and will stare at it for ages very engrossed in whatever is on. I haven't heard her yapping or making noises at it yet. She loves watching you tube videos also :)