Deceased Pup

GeckoTree

no, different thing from a swimmer

looks like foetal hydrops to me? eta - same as "walrus pup"

have not seen it in puppies but have seen a similar presentation in cattle.... assume the same could happen in dogs.

Edited by bridgie_cat

Was the bitch mated more than once during her season? That pup looks to be somewhat "uncooked"...

T.

Possibly because it died a while a go?

I don't know anything about puppies but I lost a baby with Hydrops. I worked with children and caught slapped cheek disease ( also known as parvovirus B15 - no relation to the dog parvovirus) at 18 weeks pregnant. The affect on the baby was severe anaemia which, in turn, causes the Hydrops. My body didn't automatically lose the baby though, it was only discovers at a routine check. Maybe the little pup died a while back but stayed in the womb, I don't know how these things work with litters.

Care of the Dam during pregnancy is of HIGH importance ultrasound to determine number of pups, size (which will usually pick up this condition)and duration of pregnancy can definately help in maintaining health and potential for successful outcome. As well ensuring good nutrition and hygiene can prevent many problems. there are particular breeds which are at higher risk of having pups affected by this condition.

If you are squeamish, don't read on.

Walrus

How did it feel? Loose and floppy?

Nothing like swimmers - they look a bit flat, and in my experience (which is not vast) the rib cage is flat on the bottom.

From memory this condition in cattle occurs when the foetus forms and the vessels that create 'abdominal fluid' do not form properly and form too much fluid everywhere. Its just a random thing.

I think it also affects the bone formation and its more like cartilage than bone, making them soft and squishy.

I have only seen one in real life, but was told by the Vet that are just one of those things that can happen.