Feeding Raw Eggs To Dogs

How good or bad are raw eggs in the adult/older dogs' diet - and how many is too many per dog per day or per week.

The dogs get about three eggs a week each, and some go in the bin if I have a surplus from the chooks - with me not going anywhere I'd give them or sell them within a few days.

So I could feed a few more or a lot more to the dogs, just not sure what is good nutrition or too much of a good thing.

Never noticed any bad effects, nor any particular brilliance of coat or the like that I'd say due to eggs. I tried a search but can't find anything on quantity or quality as a food supplement.

When we had chooks ..the dogs would help themselves - often eating up to a dozen ,if they found a nest!!

putting eggs in the bin........................ couldn't you at least leave them out for the crows/maggies??? ;) You can also cook them..scramble or hardboil ..chop em up, and feed them back to the chookies !! they love 'em and they are good food , esp if mixed in with some greens or soaked bread. :)

Fresh eggs with shells are consumed by the dogs several times weekly.

Or I add a raw egg and serve steak tartare to the old boy ( 14 years with all his teeth) if I think he's 'peaky'.

This dog is on thyroid meds so he can be 'off'.

Puppy loves the eggs too. Smiles if he gets a plate of puppy milk & egg maybe once every few weeks. NB, not a constant in his diet. But a light meal if he has over-eaten.

:)

I read about not feeding your dog raw eggs on this forum: http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/81686-general-heath-information/

Eggs (Raw)

Raw egg whites contain a protein called avidin, which can deplete your dog of biotin, one of the B vitamins. Biotin is essential to your dog’s growth and coat health. Additionally, raw eggs are often contaminated with bacteria, such as salmonella, and you could end up giving your dog food poisoning in addition to biotin deficiency.

Symptoms of biotin depletion are hair loss, weakness, growth retardation and skeleton deformity. If your dog is suffering from these symptoms the situation is urgent, and veterinary treatment is needed. Cooked eggs are high in protein and make an excellent treat. It is only the raw eggs that should not be given to your dog

I used to feed them a couple a week, but know plenty who feed one or more a day.

no ill effects.

I read about not feeding your dog raw eggs on this forum: http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/81686-general-heath-information/

Eggs (Raw)

Raw egg whites contain a protein called avidin, which can deplete your dog of biotin, one of the B vitamins. Biotin is essential to your dog’s growth and coat health. Additionally, raw eggs are often contaminated with bacteria, such as salmonella, and you could end up giving your dog food poisoning in addition to biotin deficiency.

Symptoms of biotin depletion are hair loss, weakness, growth retardation and skeleton deformity. If your dog is suffering from these symptoms the situation is urgent, and veterinary treatment is needed. Cooked eggs are high in protein and make an excellent treat. It is only the raw eggs that should not be given to your dog

This is a common myth i have read many times. HOWEVER, if you feed the whole egg, eg. the white and the yolk it balances it out. Because the yolks contain the biotin.

.... leave them out for the crows/maggies? ....

Cannot, enough problems with both species killing baby chickens when they can without encouraging their predation - magpies will enter pens if doors open. Aside from that feed for wild birds is sparse, it's a bit of damned if you do or you don't, so far as making them dependent goes, then there's no fallback for them if the treat feed runs out. (But water is put everywhere for them, that's priority).

.... The only issue to look out for is salmonella. If this worries you, cook them instead.

Hopefully not here - DPI have strict guidelines on clean nest boxes, frequent collection, gloves, date stamping, storage, use new cartons, all that. So I don't take chances with random eggs in case someone picks one up and puts with a today collection. And thanks but no thanks to the cooking suggestions, doggies can have them raw or not at all, and I don't feed eggs back to chooks - I know they are top protein and all that, it's just personal choice and they get prime food already so don't need it. Works for some people for sure.

Thanks everyone for input, I thought there might have been something more set in stone on max quantities for dogs (they would eat a bucketful a day if they had the chance).

If you feed the whole egg there is nothing to worry about regarding the avidin as the enzyme in the yolk and white work together and any blocking of the B vitamins is eliminated.The yolk has massive mounts of the stuff anyway. Any threat from salmonella is minute. The protein in eggs has the highest biological value of any protein which is a measure of how well it supports the body's protein needs of any food, including beef. Calorie for calorie, you need less protein from eggs than you do from other sources to achieve the same benefits, for muscle building. Eggs have numerous vitamins including riboflavin, folate, vitamins B6, B12, D, K and E, and iron,phosphorous, calcium and zinc plus omega 3 and 6. Also has a heap of amino acids. Dogs don't need to have the eggs cooked and its better for them if they are fed raw because that keeps what is in the egg in tact as some of the good stuff is killed off by cooking.That is live enzymes and vitamins

Its also better if they eat the shell this contains a stack of great minerals and studies have found that it is the most easily absorbed type of calcium mainly because of the other easily absorbable 27 trace minerals it has which is pretty much the same as what our bones are made of.This will protect them against all manner of things including potential joint problems. If you throw them the eggs and they eat the lot that's great if they leave the shell consider cracking the eggs and saving your shells - if you have this many eggs anyway it would be great for you to save the shells for yourself and family. You can take the egg shell and either bake it until its dry in an over or pop it in the microwave to dry them and then roll them under a rolling pin which produces a fine powder - then you can use it to sprinkle over other foods to be sure the really do get the whole egg in and not just the inside of the egg in. This gives the dog everything it needs to produce its own ample supplies of vitamin C - so effectively it really is a whole food for dogs and leaves any suggestion that anything you can buy produced commercially as being better for dead. Lots of Utube vids etc showing you ways to do this. You can even make your own toothpaste with it - google egg shell powder.

So as long as you feed the whole egg there isn't a hope that you could feed too many. Any idea that you have eggs and dogs and would consider NOT feeding every egg left over after you own needs is crazy. Its pretty much a prefect food for them - but side effect is smelly farts.

Edited by Steve

Our dogs love their "lollies"..an egg or two fed whole .... they crack 'em & slurp 'em .... Old dogs get LOTS of eggs in their diet here ...it;s a way to pack in heaps of nutrition easily .Eggy flips, mince & egg , occasional french toast ....

Thanks everyone for input, I thought there might have been something more set in stone on max quantities for dogs (they would eat a bucketful a day if they had the chance).

Its nothing here for my dogs to get 15 to 20 eggs each a day when the chooks are doing their job well.

Its nothing here for my dogs to get 15 to 20 eggs each a day when the chooks are doing their job well.

gas maskz essential :p :p

gas maskz essential :p :p

Funnily enough with the two (older) Vizslas that was an issue. I did notice it's not happening now.

Used to laugh when a russet gold head would be lifted off the mat with a look of 'who made that smell?'

:eek:

Thanks Steve for your sensible, educational post. I truly get sick of hearing the scare stories about giving dogs raw eggs because of a)avidin and b)salmonella.

Eggs have the perfect balance of Avidin and Biotin. The acidic digestive system of healthy dogs is perfectly equiped to cope with the Salmonella bacteria.

I've been giving my dogs raw eggs since they were tiny pups. They have not been struck down with Salmonella poisoning and they have the lovely shiny coats that feeding raw eggs seems to produce.