Dog Attack

JulesP

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What breeds of dogs were they?

I was bailed up on my own property once by an aggressive dog who used to hunt roos on my property pretty much every day. When I complained to the council they said I had to catch the dog and tie it up before they would come out. :mad

I don't understand this logic...

Well the first mistake is to assume that council determinations are logical ... don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Most councils I have called in relation to straying dogs have advised me to catch said animal before they would send anyone out... which I find completely ridiculous.

The last stray that ended up at my house did so at 4am - and I could not hold him at all because I had foster puppies. I called council who advised that they would put me on the list on numbers for the ranger to call when he got in later that morning... WTF?? I ended up calling the local Police who kindly turned up 20 mins later with a paddy wagon and took the dog to the night pens at the RSPCA. I rang the RSPCA about the dog later that morning and he'd been chipped and was reunited with his owners within 20 minutes of the call from the RSPCA... thank dog!

I've pretty much lost faith in most councils' animal control departments nowadays...

T.

I nabbed one of the dogs that hunts on my property, a serial offender with rather nasty owners. He was trying to get to my chooks. I had to hold him overnight because it was 5 on a Friday. When the ranger came the next day he wanted to let him go because he would find his own way home....! Not the point I wanted the owners to pay so it would affect their decision to not fence their yard.

I do think it's a classic case of underfunding. I would think there should be a number of dogs in council area to ranger ratio but I bet most councils hire a token number. Pity some of those highly paid legal people who administer BSL can't be replaced with a ranger or two.

I found the only way to get the council where I used to live, to do anything, was to call them every day. There was a large white dog that looked like a Bull terrier crossed with something quite a bit larger, that roamed loose and charged at people and attacked dogs, that lived round the corner from my house. When I rang the council they told me that had had lots of complaints and they had spoken to the owners but they couldn't manage to keep the dog in. I pointed out that if they fined the owners every time the dog was out they would soon find a solution to keeping the dog in. I promised to call them every time I saw the dog out and I did. Every day for a about two weeks and told them if the dog didn't disappear soon I would start calling several times a day. :D The must have got sick of me calling because the dog disappeared and I never saw it again. So nag,nag and nag some more. You will wear them down eventually and it will work.

Last week I saw a medium sized boofer roaming the streets so I stopped the car and was lucky enough to catch him (he wouldn't let me near him until I grabbed Justice's leash out of the car and then he came straight up to me and presented his neck for me to attach it.. go figure). I rang the owner from the number on his tag and left a voicemail message and then called the council because I couldn't hang on to him until the owner called back, as I had Justice in the car and there was no way I was putting the two dogs together in a confined space since I knew nothing about the dog, other than that he loved pats and ear scratches. It turned out we were on the same street he lives on so the council gave me his address so I could walk him home. I couldn't leave him there though because the fencing was completely inadequate and even a small dog would have been able to get out. I had to ring the council back and get the ranger to come and get him and just wait on the side of the road until the ranger got there.

I'm so pissed with the council and the owner though because it turns out the dog has a history of getting out and a history of not being good with other dogs (that was how the council phrased it so I'm assuming he's been reported for attacking other dogs before). I doubt they were supposed to tell me that but they knew I had my dog with me and probably didn't want to be held liable if this dog attacked mine. Despite this dog's history the council pretty much indicated they weren't going to do anything about it, which means a dog aggressive bull breed is going to keep getting out and keep putting not only itself but other dogs at risk. The ranger was just going to hand him back to his owner as he'd managed to get hold of him just before he picked the dog up. So no fines, no requirement to replace the fencing and a huge risk of this dog being hit by a car or attacking another dog when it gets out again. I even asked them to make the owner do something about the fencing and explained why it was so completely inadequate and the ranger just looked at me like I was making a big deal about nothing. I don't even want to think about how frequently this dog gets out and since the dog clearly knew the ranger and the ranger greeted him like an old friend. :mad

That's really appalling and is very similar to the situation with the neighbour I have. The council told me last time - as well as I'm the only person that complains and dogs are too old to attack mine any more (bullsh-t) - they said the fences weren't very good at that house. They said they would give them a fine (dogs had been loose every day for a few weeks) - it sounded reluctant. They should be fined every time the dogs are out in my opinion.

I said can't you get them to fix the fences?? Whenever I've taken the dogs back they NEVER walk to any part of the fence, they go straight to the front door because the owners let them out of the front door. They have never walked them in all the years I've known them.

One of the dogs was out last weekend ... it's been ongoing for years. These are people who really don't deserve to ever have a dog and I hope they never get another one. They always have working breeds and keep them in the backyard or let them roam. They do walk around the area themselves but never have their dogs with them .... I've spoken to them in years gone by about how to care for working breeds but we're dealing with a Neanderthal and he doesn't give a toss and that's half the problems, too many morons out there.

The dogs have been seized. Having trouble finding out what the council intend to do now as am having trouble getting hold of the ranger.

I'd guess that there would be a destruction order and the owners fined. I would be very surprised if this is not the case. If the owners fight the destruction order the dogs will have a very extended stay in the pound.

Snook -

"the council" usually means one idiot (or a few) in the council who doesn't know the rules or doesn't care.

It's not too hard to escalate the problem to people who can really do something about it (make the idiot care). I usually email my ward reps and they email the council CEO but I also have my council's CEO's email address. What you're describing is not appropriate management by the council (idiots), and it's dangerous. If you make that really clear to your ward reps, then council has liability next time there is a problem because they have been told in writing.

Quite a few things I email my reps about - they're appalled that whatever happened. But they have no idea if we don't tell them because the people who don't give an Eff aren't going to tell them.

The owner of the dog needs to fix the fences or give up the dog - which would be sad but how much sadder is it if that dog tears another dog or child to pieces or causes a car accident by running on the road. In the 1970s it used to be ok to let packs of dogs roam and it was just too bad if one got hit by a car or killed another dog or bit a child. But times have changed.

The rangers in my shire have been pretty good from the dealings I have had with them. Just hard to get hold of! They really need to give out mobile numbers seeing as I assume they are out a lot.

I got biten by one of my own dogs, long story and my own fault, had one DA and was trying to split a fight. But basically if the dog is registered and it happens on your own property not anything the council can do. So if this person was attacked on the dogs property the owners should be able to get dogs back i believe. Out on the street different story. If the council can trick you into handing over dogs they will do that. They couldnt seize ours as we refused to hand them over, although we chose to PTS the DA one we werent willing to give the council control.

Mind you the ranger had no idea about dogs just kept asking which was the "bad" dog and which one atttacked me... Which the non DA dog started it and the non DA dog was the one i got in the way of. (Although told them i didnt know) but after they realised they werent getting the dogs they left and never followed up. Mind you they couldnt get into my property so maybe they didnt care as they figured dogs couldnt get out.

I was suprised by the fact we were never contacted again, because they really only had our word to go on what happened i was at least expecting To get a dangerous dog declaration but they really have no power until an attack happens on public property

So if this person was attacked on the dogs property the owners should be able to get dogs back i believe.

I'm not totally familiar with vic law but this isn't how it goes in SA.

If the dogs are on their own property and they attack a trespasser or burglar or someone with no lawful excuse to be there (ie not the police or a meter reader), then the dogs have done "nothing wrong".

But if you invite someone onto your property, eg have some mates over for a barbecue and your dog attacks one of them and they want to have your dogs declared dangerous or PTS - they can ask council to do that. Same if your dog attacks a policeman on your property.

So if your dog attacks you, you can choose to do nothing about it, but if your dog attacks someone else - it can be a different story.

• 4 months later...

This has been through the court system now. The dogs were PTS and the owners fined $2000. Funny it doesn't say in the story that people had reported the dogs prior to the incident.

My dogs are still quite anxious walking past that property.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/east/police-need-capsicum-spray-to-subdue-vicious-dogs-attacking-a-man-at-montrose/story-fngnvlxu-1227012562738