Time To Trust With A Soft Crate?

LisaCC

That's good about ventilation.

This is our current set up, I put all the sides up over summer, but he prefers it dark and goes in on his own accord.

Is fine at training with or without cover. So I'm hoping it will be an easy transition.

post-44325-0-77325900-1396063460_thumb.jpg

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks guys. Do you use your soft crates all year round? They don't get too hot in warmer months?

I think soft crates are too hot for coated dogs except in mid winter and have not needed to cover a wire crate except to keep rain out at a show or when the dogs sleep in the car in below zero temps. I know how hot it gets inside a tent, even with the window flaps up or inside one of those all screen tents and have no desire to put my dogs, who prefer the weather much colder than I do, in a stuffy enclosed crate.

As said, it depends on the dog.... my two are fine.

Love my soft crates for trials. I was lugging my wire ones for a while, but carrying 34kg (17kg each) of crates any distance gets tiring.......

I have K9+ crates too, they are great. Really easy to set/pack up and LIGHT :D

Mine are currently being fixed though...... Some bastard animal ate through them :mad while they were freshly washed and dried, FOLDED UP WITH NOTHING IN THEM! :banghead: ARRRRRGGHHHH! I can understand a dog eating its way out.... But SERIOUSLY!!!

My cats are prime suspects........ >:(

If you want a soft crate but not spend a heap in case it doesn't work then maybe get one like I did on Ebay. I got the XXXL one and it cost me $49.99 at the time. Seems this seller has put the price up since then though.

Ebay Soft Crate

Ahh thank you! There are a few other listing for around the $40 mark on there. I got my wire crate from ebay too for cheap biggrin.gif

Thanks guys. Do you use your soft crates all year round? They don't get too hot in warmer months?

I think soft crates are too hot for coated dogs except in mid winter and have not needed to cover a wire crate except to keep rain out at a show or when the dogs sleep in the car in below zero temps. I know how hot it gets inside a tent, even with the window flaps up or inside one of those all screen tents and have no desire to put my dogs, who prefer the weather much colder than I do, in a stuffy enclosed crate.

I totally agree with this.

I'm in the same situation. Epic is too big for his 36" wire crate but pretty sure he can't be trusted in a soft crate yet. I am going to trial him in our old crappy soft crate (which is bigger) overnight and see how he goes with that.

I'm in the same situation. Epic is too big for his 36" wire crate but pretty sure he can't be trusted in a soft crate yet. I am going to trial him in our old crappy soft crate (which is bigger) overnight and see how he goes with that.

So much for Adult Aussies will totally fit a 36" crate laugh.gif Our boys are going to be big when they are done!

Goodluck!

lol Paisley does NOT fit in a 36" crate and she's a girl Aussie(albiet, larger then the standard calls for) And bigger then the dog I bought my 42" crate for, who also comes nowhere near fitting in a 36" lol

Edited by cali

I've been told by lots of people that a good quality soft crate is the way to go as I plan on trialing in obedience and agility when Nova and I are ready.

But when do you make the switch from normal wire crate to soft?

I need to get him a new one either way as he's looking a bit squished in his 36" crate currently. He has always been great in a crate, he calms down immediately in them, even at training, where he can be a bit over stimulated, he will lay down in it and not push on the sides or anything like that.

He's 10 months old now, would you get another wire crate and wait out adolescence first incase he decides to test it's boundaries a bit, or would you trust him in a soft crate?

Honestly? Never!

You may trust the dog but I don't trust the crates. Unless pegged they can roll over, they can get very warm and they don't really last all that long.

If weight is an issue or how flat it folds, get a Securapen of some kind.

I use soft crates for agility training (in the evening when it's cooler) but stick to the wire crate for trialling - more secure and cooler. Yes, it's a pain in the butt to haul around (fits both dogs comfortably) but I can relax that Zig, in particular, won't break out....he learnt to undo zips at the Agility Nationals when I was walking a course! Fortunately a local DOLer lent me a wire crate for the week. I just took him camping with Em for a weekend of retrieving trialling. He was a spectator only of course and he gets a bit antsy when I leave him to run Em. The crate was a godsend - we had zero shade so I attached silver shade to it and he stayed cool all day. Em, on the other hand, happily sleeps unrestrained in the back of the car even when I'm out on a thrower.

Thanks for the opinions. I have pretty shoddy shoulders that pop out when I lift things. I know the 42" wire crate will be a lot heavier which might be an issue if I need to set up well away from the car.

Thanks for the opinions. I have pretty shoddy shoulders that pop out when I lift things. I know the 42" wire crate will be a lot heavier which might be an issue if I need to set up well away from the car.

Buy a luggage trolley or fold up trolley from bunnings or the likes,no sane person carries there wire crates :eek: I cart all my crates in this manner .

I would trust my dogs 100% & i have good quality soft crates but in the end they are also very easy to get out off no matter how good they are & i wouldn't trust leaving my dog unattended in them so i prefer to now 100% if im watching/toilet run or anything the dog will be there when i get back

I don't have a soft crate. all I know after reading this is that I could never trust Delta in one :laugh: I think Nova is a much more likely prospect though.

I don't know what sort of car you have, but if you have a wagon maybe buying one of those gate things that allows you to have him secure in the car with the boot open, and you could park in the shade? Lindy has one I think.

I would transition to a soft crate when you think his chewing stage might be over & as Ness said, until you are sure he will not tear it to bits, it would be best to have someone supervise. The Clean run one will cost you a fortune to post over. I have just bought my second Australian Made, Australian Owned K9 crate & can't speak highly enough of them...service & quality is great :thumbsup: I bought it for my large border collie & I bought the ML size. They also make matching padded crate mats. Here they are in their K9 crates last week away camping :)

P1020338-Copy_zps48d95661.jpg

LOL when exactly does the chewing stage end ? :mad

I've always used a soft crate for my youngest who fortunately never went through the chewing stage. I trust all of mine completely in soft crates and have never had an issue of them escaping or toppling over but my guys all crash like good dogs when they go in their crates :)

I do use soft crates in summer when trialling but that's only if I am trialling one dog and she usually spends all her time sleeping on top of the crate (yes she is weird) and only goes in when I am unable to be nearby.

If I have more then one dog, I take the big c-crate regardless of temperature and that's big enough for 3-4 Tollers :D