What To Do If Your Dog Eats 1080 Poison

I am going to be traveling in areas where dog bait is present and am suffering mild paranoia that Jonah will get hold of some. Does anyone know whats the best way of dealing with it from what I read its pretty much tickets once you see symptoms.

Carry washing soda crystals. Shove a heap down the dogs throat to make them vomit. Will only help if you see them eat it and catch it early enough. Best idea will be to not be letting the dog run free in baited areas. By law paddocks should have signs. And baits buried and only out for set periods. Doesn't always work that way though. Most properties around me bait. My dogs simply don't go on them. And farm dogs don't roam free where they can get near them.

Edited by espinay2

get Jonah used to wearing a nice basket orJafco muzzle ;)

My bro works his dogs on properties which bait ( and tend to NOT do it correctly .... they all wear muzzles when working . my paranoia is more than mild !

A property owner we know lost a dog once when the fridge (in which he had stored rabbit baits (carrot/1080) in thick plastic bags ) leaked..dog licked at liquid .. died .

Edited by persephone

Don't let your dog run free in areas where baiting is taking place

sometimes the signs are not hanging on fences anymore ..and often, if baiting is done incorrectly, crows /magpies will pick up and drop baits a long way from where they should be :(

Please people if you are going to use an muzzle and if it has gaps in it like the old greyhound wire ones, please put tape around it so the dog can not get the bait through the wire gaps. I have seen dogs eat bait size pieces through the wire. :)

Don't let your dog run free in areas where baiting is taking place

sometimes the signs are not hanging on fences anymore ..and often, if baiting is done incorrectly, crows /magpies will pick up and drop baits a long way from where they should be :(

I agree with this....if in doubt I would be putting a muzzle on the dog, because even if you have the dog on lead (which you would)...they are so quick to pick up little morsels off the ground that some crow has dropped out of a tree :(

I don't plan on letting him off lead but as has been said they can be super quick to snaffle little bits of stuff up. Will try and get a muzzle before I set off and the washing soda crystals as well.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 10.1

To be perfectly honest if a dog takes a bait, there is no treatment, the dog will die.

I have seen vets try to treat them and I do not know of one who has survive despite intensive treatment.

Keep your dog on a lead, keep a muzzle on, one lick of a bait or a bait in the mouth then pulled out is enough to kill a dog.

Crows and foxes can and do move baits.

Stick to well populated areas to exercise your dog as there are exclusion zones around houses, town etc. much safer than pulling over randomly to let them run.

Just a quick check suggests it is unlawful to bait with 1080 near any public amenity, within 5km of a town or within 5m of a property boundary.

Stick to public places. keep your dog on lead. Stay out of private property and any public land with 1080 signs. I'd say with 1080 ingestion prevention is your best line of protection.

I have exercised my dogs offlead on small town sports ovals. I always pick up after them.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

They bait on beaches around here, I wrote a thread on it a while ago. Makes me mad as I think the beach is sacred and the perfect place to allow my dogs to run free. Now I can't even do that :( I do let them run occasionally if there were no signs (but signs can blow down ect) Every-time they go near the dunes I'm calling them back and the whole business has now become quite stressful

Yep or a fox will carry it close to a trail or any number of other things. Safest bet is dog on leash and with a basket type muzzle on and carry soda crystals in your first aid kit

Another thing to use is ipecac syrup. That induces vomiting.

Super quick attendence to the Vet is critical.

Edited by VizslaMomma

Yep or a fox will carry it close to a trail or any number of other things. Safest bet is dog on leash and with a basket type muzzle on and carry soda crystals in your first aid kit

Another thing to use is ipecac syrup. That induces vomiting.

Super quick attendence to the Vet is critical.

I suspect I wont be anywhere near a vet for most of the trip or cell phone signal for that matter