Outside Dogs

Taliecat

So we moved into a new place yesterday from the same landlords and our two dogs had previously been allowed inside and had their run of the back yard.

We've just been told that the dogs aren't allowed inside at all at our new place and this has come to massive shock as the dogs are a massive part of our lives and our couch time has been a major part of our bonding with the dogs.

Can anyone offer advice for how to get the dogs settled outside of a night?

This will be a temporary arrangement, as we'll be looking at moving around the end of August.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:( No real suggestions - how annoying and inconvenient. You think they'd have mentioned it before you moved in - considering it was OK at your last place. Can you sneak them in? We used to let ours in - we just made sure we steam cleaned the carpet and made her sleep in the kitchen (lino)

Failing that - you could try hot water bottles and some of your clothing or towels in their beds - so they smell you.

You spend as much time as possible out there with them - might be hard coming into winter but I'm not familiar with your part of QLD - might be totally OK.

Can anyone offer advice for how to get the dogs settled outside of a night?

This will be a temporary arrangement, as we'll be looking at moving around the end of August.

Did they give any reason(s)?

Will it be possible to keep the property in pristine condition as if no dogs lived there?

More importantly, ages of the dogs & winter temperatures need consideration, imho.

I could not put any dog aged over 5 outside in winter. Is there a garage area etc?

If the house could be easily kept 'in order', then your choice might be easier *winks*

Edited by VizslaMomma

The house is a tiled studio apartment underneath the main house, which the upstairs tenants are great friends with the owners. So sneaking them in is probably not an option.

The dogs are 9 months and 14 months so really just pups.

The landlords wish to keep the house and yard pristine and have stressed that the dogs are absolutely not allowed inside at all but they also need to be kept quiet and not annoy the neighbors.

I'm thinking of broaching the idea that we could crate the dogs at night in the laundry/garage to make sure they're not barking at everything.

I wish they'd told us this when they offered us the studio. I'm pretty shocked and on the verge of shutting down completely cause I'm not dealing with not having our pups inside.

And Dame Aussie we only just saw and signed the lease today after the move. There had been no mention of the dogs not being allowed inside.

Edited by Taliecat

Guest donatella

I would stress that 2 upset dogs are more damaging outside then tucked up settled and happy inside. They sprung that on you at the the last minute?

Sorry id be sneaking them in and letting them out early.

is there any provision to say cancel a lease within 24 hours or something???? That sounds a fail - fail situation :( I'm sorry.

Unfortunately not.

I'm pretty upset. We're going to Bali in July, flights and accommodation already booked and paid for and nonrefundable, so unless we forfit $2000 worth of flights and accommodation and miss your trip to bali for the second year in a row and bail on this place ASAP were stuck. Because I can't see my partner bailing on that much money.

So this is a private rental then? I've never signed a lease 'after' I've moved in :confused:

Sorry but I'd be moving out, no way would I have my dogs outside permanently.

[/quot

Totally agree with you HW. I would be looking for another rental. It wouldn't be a home without my dogs being allowed inside as part of our family. Just as they should be.

I'd be spending a few hundred dollars on some legal advice.

Unless you signed the lease AFTER they told you "no dogs inside" I think they could be in breach.

No way would i be staying there, Bali or not.

It is a private rental, and we moved in yesterday but the lease was signed today and we were told no dogs inside before we signed it but after we had moved in.

I wish I could convince my partner to abandon bali and move again. We could have the money together for another bond in less than a month, but he's not biting.

I don't understand why they've said no dogs inside at all. There's nothing in here that they could damage that isn't either less than $100 to replace or ours, the most damage they can do is to the turf outside which apparently is $1000 if it needs to be replaced -_- we're so screwed.

Move.

The landlords have done the dirty on you and the dogs. There is only you to stick up for your dogs. Do it. And as Haredown says, get some legal advice.

I would be packing NOW, would find something else, move out and then let them sue me. They wont, because they are wrong.

Dodgy sods

Did you explain to them when you applied for the place that they are inside dogs.

Most agents I;ve dealt with just assume they're going to be outside only..

I always specify on my pet resume's that they are inside pets.

Still the landlord here was somehow shocked to find out they were inside / outside pets.

We ended up paying an extra 2 weeks bond ( strung on us at literally the last day) but refused to pay a pet bond as they're illegal here.

I'd be explaining that they are only inside when you are home/ supervised. Not left to destroy the place.. If that's true of course :)

I'd be spending a few hundred dollars on some legal advice.

Unless you signed the lease AFTER they told you "no dogs inside" I think they could be in breach.

No way would i be staying there, Bali or not.

It is a private rental, and we moved in yesterday but the lease was signed today and we were told no dogs inside before we signed it but after we had moved in.

I wish I could convince my partner to abandon bali and move again. We could have the money together for another bond in less than a month, but he's not biting.

I don't understand why they've said no dogs inside at all. There's nothing in here that they could damage that isn't either less than $100 to replace or ours, the most damage they can do is to the turf outside which apparently is $1000 if it needs to be replaced -_- we're so screwed.

Have you spoken to the owners about it at all? Tell them your concerns and if they won't budge then tell them you are moving out. You won't need to come up with a new bond if the owners refund your bond. If you only paid it yesterday then I doubt they have even lodged it.

If you moved in yesterday and got the lease today then why sign it if it said no dogs are allowed inside? If the lease doesn't actually say 'no dogs inside' then can they really say no?

I would get legal advice for a refund and I'd move - landlord sounds like an unreasonable jerk. No doubt they'll end up saying the turf needs replacing. Sorry you're in this situation. Just makes me so furious.