It Has Been Done A Thousand Times.....

So apologies, but doing a search would probably bring up a thousand topics and posts, so asking again :)

Background first: My five dogs get fed a mix of raw beef and ground up chicken, steamed vegetables and sometimes cooked chicken. For treats they get dried roo bones and roo jerky. When walking, for treats, they get tiny bits of dried liver.

They are all small and elderly ranging from 10+ to 14+.

The problem I have encountered just recently is that Myrtie is having trouble picking up her food. She was spending ages at her bowl and I would find most of the food still there. She has no teeth on one side of her mouth, so her tongue hangs out all the time. This has not presented a problem in the past with her ability to pick up her food, but I suppose that her tongue is not as agile/strong as it used to be, thus the problem with food. I have tried hand feeding her, but that doesn't work either because she tends to pick up her food, drop eat and then pick it up again. Idosyncratic is the second name of all my dogs :D

Luckily she loves kibble and so for the past few days, I have started feeding her mostly Optimum Kibble, but that presents another problem. She is doing enormous (for her at 3.4kgs) poos (mostly my dogs' poos are nice and little and firm LOL) so can I assume from that that most of the food is rubbish ??

In the past, hoping to give them a good kibble I've tried Royal Canin, Black Hawke, Science, Bene.... something, and all have been rejected big time.

Which one next could anyone suggest?

Edited by Dame Danny's Darling

Maybe her tummy is just adjusting to the different food?

Rebanne has a good point. If you've only been feeding the kibble for a few days she may just have an upset tummy and will adjust to it in time. shrug.gif

DD, maybe her poos are enormous because she's eating more kibble than she actually needs? The feeding guides are quite often way too much, and I'm amazed at how little it takes for my guys to stay in good condition...

If you can't get hold of Canidae, a lot of breeders use Advance with great success (although I believe it's another brand owned by Mars). From memory there's a small breed Turkey and Rice formula (small sized kibble, as the other regular ones are quite large pieces).

I've been using Holistic (either duck or anchovy) as a back up when not feeding raw and I believe it is a very good quality dry food as well.

Maybe you could try and get some samples of different brands (wish it was easier to get hold of) to try them on?

Guest donatella

Have you tried the natures gift semi moist dry? Mine get it for brekky and love it and the semi moist might be perfect for no teefies.

I've got an old whippet who was having trouble picking up her food when it had never been a problem before. I've resorted to feeding her Chunkers which I would normally consider junk food for dogs, but since she's old and she can manage to pick them up I'm just happy for her to eat. They are firm little lumps and apparently, by doggy standards, they taste good. I mostly give her the chicken and scrambled eggs variety.

I've quoted a few posts here to respond to specifically, but thank you everyone for your helpful and considered replies. I really appreciate it.

Would she eat the meat if it was like a broth or a smoothie? Still would be using her tongue, but it might be a little easier?

I've tried making it more slushy, but she hasn't managed any better :(.

make her raw a bit drier and roll into marble shaped balls ;) ?

LOL as I was coming home I was thinking about what I could do and was wondering what I coule put on my hands which would make the little balls so palletable that she couldn't resist. I might give Clunkers a try as well as a standyby.

Have you tried the natures gift semi moist dry? Mine get it for brekky and love it and the semi moist might be perfect for no teefies.

I don't know this one donatella. Supermarket or pet store?? It isn't the no teefies that is the problem, I think her tongue is exhausted LOL.

Just blend her food up for her :)

I'll give this a try. A long time ago, I had a little dog whose bottom jaw was slowly being eaten away by cancer and he used to lap up his sloshy food very happily.

DD..roll up little chunks..and maybe then roll them in crushed up tasty pulverised (mortar& pestle) kibble or pulverised cat bikkies! This will increase smell/taste..and , being dry coated, will stick to her tongues/mouth a bit as she gets a grip on them ;)