Act Police Officer Cap Sprays Tethered Dog

SkySoaringMagpie

Justen Storay first realised something was wrong when his dog, Laps, did not welcome him home.

But a review of his home security system uncovered a shocking secret.

CCTV footage showed an ACT police officer had fired capsicum spray at the chained dog during a search of Mr Storay’s unoccupied Griffith home last month.

Jer, through his lawyers at Canberra law firm Ben Aulich and Associates, lodged an official complaint with the Australian Federal Police. The incident is currently under investigation by AFP's Professional Standards.

Acting chief police officer Commander David Pryce tweeted an assurance that police were taking the matter seriously.

"I've read all comments and criticisms: I know we've let you down Canberra. A professional standards investigation is occuring," the tweet said.

Police searched the home on May 1 in relation to a dangerous driving charge.

Justen Storay, centre, from Griffith with Zoe Storay, left, 8 and Declan Storay, right, 3 play with their family dog Laps in the backyard,

Justen Storay, centre, from Griffith with Zoe Storay, left, 8 and Declan Storay, right, 3 play with their family dog Laps in the backyard, Photo: Jeffrey Chan

Mr Storay – who is known to police – was not at home at the time and no items were seized. Footage of the incident shows Laps – a bull mastiff cross – tethered to a chain in the back yard.

A plain clothes AFP officer can be seen barking at the dog. The dog charges but is stopped well short of the man by its chain. The officer then shoots a burst of oleoresin capsicum spray directly at the stationary animal and it quickly retreats out of sight.

Minutes later, three AFP officers can be seen apparently laughing, with one recording on his mobile phone. The officer who used the spray later throws a stick towards the animal and leaves.

The dog allegedly suffered red, watery eyes and was distressed but did not require veterinary treatment.

Mr Storay said two-year-old Laps’ injuries had been overwhelming psychological.

He said the normally friendly dog – who Mr Storay trusted to play with his children, aged eight and three –had “cowered”, been “stand offish”, and seemed "really shocked" after the incident.

“I was pretty disgusted and didn’t know what to think,” Mr Storay said. “Laps was on a chain and there was a 480 kilogram break point on his collar.

“There was no need for that. He wasn’t going anywhere."

The incident had also been a financial burden for the family.

Mr Storay had since constructed a $1200 pen for the dog and now only walked him at night to avoid people and other animals.

“Hopefully he’ll go back to normal, there’s plenty of love for him here,” he said.

Mr Storay’s lawyer, Peter Woodhouse, said AFP Professional Standards originally classified the complaint as a level 1 public relations issue – usually reserved for inappropriate behaviour in relation to minor management or customer service complaints.

But the matter has since been upgraded to a level 3 matter at the law firm’s insistence after viewing the footage.

He said his client had been concerned the AFP would not take the matter seriously.

"It is cowardly for anybody to treat an animal in this way. [but] the fact that it is a police officer supposedly executing his duty is appalling," Mr Woodhouse said.

He said the officer who sprayed the dog had acted in a highly inappropriate manner.

An AFP spokesman said the allegations had been taken seriously.

"This matter is currently subject to an investigation by the AFP's Professional Standards area," the spokesman said.

"AFP professional Standards have reviewed the footage and the matter is currently subject to an ongoing internal investigation. While this remains ongoing, it would not be appropriate for the AFP to comment any further."

It later put out a further statement.

"ACT Policing does not condone cruelty to animals in any form. All officers are required to report all use-of-force actions, and the reported use of oleoresin capsicum spray is part of this requirement," it said.

RSPCA ACT chief executive Tammy Ven Dange said the behaviour had been “inexcusable” towards a dog that was tethered.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/act-police-officer-capsicum-sprays-tethered-dog-20140620-zsf16.html#ixzz35B7CMZuD

Edited by SkySoaringMagpie

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't watch the footage; I can't stand seeing cruel things done to animals.

That cop should be charged with animal cruelty and suspended. If he does that sort of thing to a dog that posed no threat, it begs the question what other things would he be capable of doing?

There are thugs on both sides of the law. This officer should have to face animal cruelty charges the same as any other person who tortures an animal for their own amusement.

It's very nice that the police 'are taking this matter seriously' and that 'a professional standards investigation is ongoing'. They also state the matter is 'subject to an ongoing internal investigation' but what are they actually investigating? How many investigations do they require? They've seen the CCTV footage. They've got the proof they need.

And the other two officers who were seen on the footage to be laughing while the moron was recording the dog in distress and then threw a stick at it. Are they not accomplices to an illegal act? Will they be charged?

This must not be swept under the carpet. The police need to stop futzing around with time wasting investigations and charge this thug.

efs

Edited by cavNrott

Safe to say that all three officers should be brought forward for a "please explain" - one because he was the instigator and the female and male officer who stood by and watched the idiotic behaviour..... certainly RSPCA should be investigating....

Very unprofessional and the Federal Police should be highly embarrassed

Do hope something is done to the officer, he tormented the poor dog for nearly 10 minutes frown.gif

Those 2 who watched and didn't stop him need some consequences too. It makes me wonder what else they get up to when they think noone is watching. The AFP should be very embarrassed at how unprofessional its officers have been shown to be in this instance, and how lacking in good judgement.

Edited by Diva

Do hope something is done to the officer, he tormented the poor dog for nearly 10 minutes frown.gif

The AFP should be very embarrassed at how unprofessional its officers have been shown to be in this instance, and how lacking in good judgement.

That is understating it in the extreme. Police are supposed to be psychologically assessed before they even train for the job so obviously there is a big fail in the testing here.

There are not merely lacking in good judgement they are cruel, sadistic bullies who must have a screw loose because any normal person would not want to torture or watch any animal having this done. They need to lose their jobs & have some kind of counselling/assessment done or is this accepted as normal/human behaviour in society. Seems to be getting more common. What is wrong with people.

I agree with you entirely. The officer who has the staring role is particularly sadistic. I doubt the AFP are going to care much about the cruelty though, based on the fact that they tried to rate this as the most trivial level of complaint initially. Only pressure from the owner's lawyer has caused them to take it seriously, and I guess all the public attention will ensure that happens.

What they might care more about intrinsically is that it very much looks like they are trying to get this dog to attack and video it on one of their phones, presumably so they have another charge against the owner. A manufactured charge caused by tormenting the dog. And now those who see this in the community they directly police, Canberra, have lost a little more faith in the integrity of the AFP. And will be a little less inclined to believe what the police say when there are no other witnesses. I know I will.

Edited by Diva

If someone did that to my dog, I'd tie them to a chain and spray it in their general direction and laugh too.

I could understand if they were trying to gain entry to a property and were faced with an aggressive dog but even then there are other means to secure a dog and ensure officer safety. That dog was alarm barking, you can also see the dog come to the end of the chain but his body language suggests whilst he is unsure he's trying to appease the intruders, low head, wagging tail and not directly facing the officers.

Part of me wished he'd broke the chain and taken out the a-holes nuts but then the poor dog would be dead.

Edited by WreckitWhippet

That is understating it in the extreme. Police are supposed to be psychologically assessed before they even train for the job so obviously there is a big fail in the testing here.

There are not merely lacking in good judgement they are cruel, sadistic bullies who must have a screw loose because any normal person would not want to torture or watch any animal having this done. They need to lose their jobs & have some kind of counselling/assessment done or is this accepted as normal/human behaviour in society. Seems to be getting more common. What is wrong with people.

Exactly Christina. This animal torturing thug and his two side kicks who thought it was so funny are not the kind of people who should be in the position of power and authority the police enjoy. Society has the right to expect our police officers to be sound of mind as well as of body.

It is not normal behaviour to be so sadistic and cruel as to torture an animal who could not protect itself. This thug has proven he is not mentally sound and should be dismissed from the police force. In addition the two cruel morons who thought it was amusing entertainment should be suspended indefinitely and receive psychiatric assessment before they're allowed to return to duty. Even then they should be restricted to a desk job rather than having the power to apprehend people. Police officers are not above the law and should not be seen to be so.

As for those who say the thug should be subjected to a similar torture as he imposed upon the dog...Exactly how would this make us better or more sound of mind than he is.

edited because I can't spell.

Edited by cavNrott

As for those who say the thug should be subjected to a similar torture as he imposed upon the dog...Exactly how would this make us better or more sound of mind than he is.

The point of this situation, I think, is that it's particularly disturbing that someone charged with upholding the law would do something like this. When any ordinary idiot does it, it's reprehensible, but it doesn't provoke questions about who will police the police and what other behaviour they get up to when they think no-one is watching. Which means it's doubly important that we as citizens insist on everyone adhering to the law, instead of responding by suggesting a bit of vigilante action.