What To Do?

CHA

My old boy is getting very close to the time we will have to think about giving him his wings :( last night was a particularly bad night for him getting up and down and I started to actually plan the logistics of it. Do you think it best to bring the other dogs along to the vets while it is happening to say goodbye? Just thinking about this is harrowing for me but I do not want him to be in pain.

So sorry you have to make this decision.

Only you know your dogs well enough to make the final decision, but for me no. You will be upset, your old boy will be confused and probably pick up on your anxiety and be anxious, no reason to make it even harder for everyone by having more dogs there getting anxious and stressed out and diverting your attention from the one who needs it most.

Can you get the vet to come to your house, this is often a better option.

Whatever you decide, remember you are doing what is best for your old boy and only you really knows what that is.

Yes I was thinking having the others there would take our attention away at a time that we really just want to concentrate on him. We are waiting on blood test results today which may help our decision. I'll ask the vet if he will come to us, or maybe get a mobile one if not. Thanks for your thoughts.

Oh gosh, it is terrible when this time arrives.

I personally wouldn't take the other dogs along incase they register that the vet is a place you may not come back from.

When my old girls time came, I took her to the vet and the vet came out to meet me in the car and gave her the fist injection where it just relaxes them, I then took her to the park next door and cuddled her under a tree and gave her a few treats while she got real drowsy. I then carried her in and we went to a little room with a couch and she was given the green dream while on my lap.

I do know that some vets will come out to you house to administer the injections so you can make the last moments even more comfortable in your home.

Only you can decide the right time and what you think will be the best way. My thoughts are with you.

I'm so sorry the time has come for your old boy. When quality of life is diminished it is our duty to make that very difficult, very sad decision.

I would not take your other dogs to the vet. Dogs are usually stressed when at the vets and you too would be quite stressed knowing what was to come. To manage a group of stressed dogs would be difficult for you and for the vet. Your old boy would pick up on the stress and anxiety and you want his passing to be as peaceful as possible for him.

My vet who is quite some distance away has always offered to come to my home. Perhaps your vet will come to the home if you request this. If not there are mobile vets who will do so.

My thoughts are with you.

I personally wouldn't take the other dogs along incase they register that the vet is a place you may not come back from.

When my old girls time came, I took her to the vet and the vet came out to meet me in the car and gave her the fist injection where it just relaxes them, I then took her to the park next door and cuddled her under a tree and gave her a few treats while she got real drowsy. I then carried her in and we went to a little room with a couch and she was given the green dream while on my lap.

I do know that some vets will come out to you house to administer the injections so you can make the last moments even more comfortable in your home.

Only you can decide the right time and what you think will be the best way. My thoughts are with you.

This sounds quite a nice way to do it, is this usual? I haven't really been with any of my dogs when they got the injection due to circumstances. Do they usually give a relaxant first? I've been with my dogs when they've passed naturally and I get really panicky :( I'm worried I'm going to faint or something.

Sadly I've had to have a few dogs PTS in the last 35 years and none have had two injections, always just one.

Honestly I don't think I'd like them given two, bad enough holding it together for them long enough for the one.

Obviously everyone does what is best for them and their dog.

Edited by Sandra777

My dogs are usually PTS at home. I let the others out once and they couldn't have cared less, in fact the youngest ran over the top of my dead girl! A couple of times, when it's been the boss dog, the others have seemed a little lost for a day or two but it was nothing major and all adjusted very quickly. Mostly they have acted as if nothing is different.

Hugs to you but I wouldn't be taking the other dogs with you.

This sounds quite a nice way to do , is this usual? I haven't really been with any of my dogs when they got the injection due to circumstances. Do they usually give a relaxant first? I've been with my dogs when they've passed naturally and I get really panicky :( I'm worried I'm going to faint or something.

I thought it was quite good as I could give her a nice soothing send off while talking to her so she was completely relaxed before the green dream in the vet office. Anyway, this is what this vet always does (apart from coming out to my car) so I just assumed it was normal procedure to have the two injections.

I think he said that some dogs can convulse with the green dream and but it is not stressful or painful for the dog but a bit stressful for the owner... I think that is what he said but I was quite upset at the whole thing so I can't recall it exactly.

I wanted her last coherent thoughts to be in a relaxed environment with me rather than the nervousness often associated with visiting the vet.

Again, my thoughts are with you.

In all the years of having dogs PTS we have never taken other dogs nor even considered .

To be honest i wouldn't ,i prefer to make that time all about the dog being PTS ,even those that have passsed at home we haven't made a thing about with the other dogs

I don't think taking your other dogs will help them or you through the loss of your old boy. You will be upset and distracted - they won't benefit from that.

I lost my beautiful Big Ted on Tuesday. To be quite frank, none of the other dogs have looked for him or demonstrated any behaviour that indicates they miss him. For them, life goes on.

As to whether to be there for the last part or not - be honest and kind to yourself. I never questioned that Ted would die in my arms and he did. It's very peaceful. He passed within 2 seconds of the green dream being given to him. But some folk cannot handle that and I won't judge them.

The only other thing I would suggest you consider and plan for is what to do with his body once he has passed. I've opted for cremation and an urn. Ted is now back home with me.

I would not take your other dogs either. There will be enough going on for you to cope with. I'm sure most of us have been through this many times and it never gets any easier.

I recently had one of my more special dogs PTS and it was the most peaceful and calming process I have had in sending the dog on her way.

The Vet I was using is an holistic vet. When we came to the conclusion that treatment was not working and it was time for Tori to leave the vet channelled into her. People may laugh at this and I was sceptical too but when I saw the reaction of my dog in response to the vet talking to her I had to believe. Not only that but I felt an incredible calmness wash over me. I had been a bit of a wreck to say the least but in the end it was the most peaceful and calm passing I have ever experienced. After she had gone the Vet calmly sat down and we chatted for about 10 to 15 minutes, no hurry to move on to the next patient. And then to boot she did not charge me as she felt totally disempowered that she could not save the dog.

That vet also used a sedative prior to giving the dreaded green injection.

Best wishes CHA for when the time comes for your boy.

Personally, I really think it's up to your other dogs and yourself. After our loss on Sunday, our other dog refused to go in our backyard for two days. He has been extremely quiet and very withdrawn for the past couple of days, whereas he used to be the life of the party. My BF's mum came to visit today, and he solemnly walked up to her (he would usually bounce all over the place), wrapped a paw around her leg and just hugged. Then again, he also saw his buddy in extreme distress for G's how long before my BF came to check on them and was there for the whole stressful ordeal at the vets' (including himself being extremely ill).

When my older male ACD passed, I brought the same dog in to say goodbye. Although he developed a fear of garbage bags (which I had put under that dog ) he seemed to know that the other had "passed". He didn't fret or go looking for him. This time, though, he has shown a definite understanding that something is not quite right.

However, even saying all of that, every dog is different, and some feel more and some feel less.

And as HW said, it is very peaceful. On Sunday morning, it took only seconds for our big guy to pass. No pain, no suffering...

Please take care of yourself and I am sending huge, overseas bearhugs for you. It is never easy, whether unexpected or "planned".

Take care,

CDM

Edited by madredeperros

Sadly I've had to have a few dogs PTS in the last 35 years and none have had two injections, always just one.

Honestly I don't think I'd like them given two, bad enough holding it together for them long enough for the one.

Obviously everyone does what is best for them and their dog.

I think the 2 injections, the first one being a relaxant, is fairly recent. I had my Kibah whippet put down in February and that was the first time I'd seen the vet give a relaxant first. He came to my home and I have to say, it was the most peaceful farewell I've ever had to go through. She just quietly and gently stopped living, I didn't see a clear transition from life to death.

I wouldn't recommend having the other dogs at the vets. If you can get your vet to do it at home, still keep them out of the room, you dont want them getting in the vets way or being scratched by the needle. Once he's gone you can let your dogs sniff him.

It's a hard thing to have to go through and you need to be very brave for your boy so he's not frightened by your distress. Cry all you want once he's gone though but not before. :(

Airedaler, I will swear to my dying day that my osteosarcoma boy knew and approved what was about to happen to him. I believe you.

Thank you Rebanne, it was an amazing experience and in my heart I know my girl was ready to go. This does make the task somewhat easier.

I wouldn't take the other dogs to the vet either. Sometimes I cry on the way although I try not to, other times I can't cry but come out afterwards & vomit. Not fair on the other dogs, they know something is wrong & my legs shake although I try to stop it, they would all sense my mood. Most dogs would.

Over many years I have had to have a few put down due to cancer & a couple of other things. To be honest its so quick & stress free for them its over before you can count to 3. If I could choose a way to go that would be it.

:hug: its so hard but the kindest way when they are starting to suffer.

Edited by Christina

I took our other dog to the vet when the elder one was PTS- "to say goodbye".

He really seemed to have no idea what was going on.

I did it at our kid's request.

Would not do it again.

There's also the risk of other dogs catching something at the vets.