Ideas Needed To Relieve Constipation Following Surgery.

My boy had surgery on Thursday. I know he has had alot of bowel clogging medications.

He is eating and drinking fine. No nausea or pain from not moving his bowels.

I read canned pumpkin and metamucil is good.

When should I start to really worry?

Any ideas?

make sure he has lots of liquid :) Also , some canned food may help for a few days .

canned pumpkin is a USA thing - I just use plain boiled/steamed pumpkin - but rarely for constipation.

a dose of liquid paraffin or Psyllium husks. are my favourites

Mostly though, I have found canned food and extra liquid works ok :) ( use low lactose milk, and or beef/chicken stock (no salt)

My boy had surgery on Thursday. I know he has had alot of bowel clogging medications.

He is eating and drinking fine. No nausea or pain from not moving his bowels.

I read canned pumpkin and metamucil is good.

When should I start to really worry?

Any ideas?

Poor boy.

Metamucil is a bit strong, imo. Make sure he is drinking heaps.

I would either try mashed/cooked pumpkin & butternut with very small slivers of the outer skin. ( No more than a heaped teaspoon of skin).

The other choice is commerical tinned dog food. That is if your nose can handle the gas afterwards.

Wishing your boy the best for a speedy recovery.

:D

Do we have canned pumpkin in Australia? I've never seen it but I don't browse the canned vegetable section in the supermarket so I don't know.

I know after I've had surgery I need medication to get the bowels working. I could eat plenty of pumpkin and drink copious amounts of water and it wouldn't help.

I've always used Paraffin oil for my dogs, it works a treat but best you check with the vet.

I don't know that Psyllium would work Perse, it's just fibre like Metamucil. My non constipated dogs have Psyllium husks added to their raw food every day and it doesn't cause any loose stools.

I have found a very short walk around the front yard, rather than the back yard has been enough to get mine over the initial constipation post op. Just the excitement of having a lead and collar put on and going out the front door even though it was probably less than a minute of walking all up- yes I have special dogs.....

Do we have canned pumpkin in Australia? I've never seen it but I don't browse the canned vegetable section in the supermarket so I don't know.

Maybe at Costco.

Here's a laugh .

The canned pumpkin is usually in the dessert section in USA supermarkets. It is actually used for making pumpkin pies. ( Or was when I lived State side).

:D

Paraffin oil would be my best bet.

Metamucil/psyllium husks may help, but as it's a bulking laxative, it causes you to poop more, which in case of being too backed up may not help at all.

He had a luxating patella done. Had an epidural, has got fentanyl patches on and is on carprofen ( which lists constipation as main side effect).

He normally goes like clockwork. Last meal was on Wed. Fasted Thursday. Had a small incontinent poop Friday morning. Nothing since. He is very gassy, not sure hubby's nose can handle much more.

He is eating and drinking like normal. Looks completely like he never even had surgery :)

He has been walking to his favorite poo spot but nothing!!

I know pumpkin as a binder so I was surprised to read it as a laxative. I will try canned food, and paws crossed it will work.

But like JulesP said, I will be SO relieved whr he poos!!!

I will head off to woollies to buy him some pedigree and some parafiin oil.

Thanks everyone! :)

yes, fingers crossed

I would probably use tin food, most dogs seem to find it appetizing for some reason.

But don't go crazy in case he can get out in time with his knee and makes a mess inside

I do like that trick of a fake front yard walk! I remember walking my boy for a near an hour around my back yard one night when he was quite ill with a bum problem

Wow I didn't know constipation could be a problem after surgery. I had the opposite problem, the fentanyl patch caused some faecal incontinence in my boy after his last surgery.

Fingers crossed the tinned food works for you!

Is he actually constipated?, or just hasn't 'been'?

If he's showing no signs of constipation I wouldn't be concerned, he will go when he is ready!. If he is straining and not passing anything I would suggest contacting his surgeon, occasionally they need a 'microlax' type enema to get things moving.

Good luck with the recovery period :)

Edited by Xyz

Yippee!! He has started to poo. He ate half a can of Pedigree (the 1.2 kg tin). He pooed about 2 hours later. Pretty soft but at least the wheels are turning. He tried to do more but then the silly neighbours came out and interrupted him. He looked like he was straining a little.

I forgot he had a poo early Thursday morning before he went into the clinic. He has eaten normal amounts of food Friday, Sat and today. The next port of call was going to be parraffin if nothing happened tonight. Or maybe just more Pedigree :)

As far as his knee goes, the way he moves, I don't think he had surgery. No pain. I take his fentanyl patches off tomorrow.

So relieved :)