Help Please - Anxious Dog With No Off Switch

Well my neighbours were very helpful.this morning, with one mowing and then another started pressure washing. So I spent half an hour outside walking him on lead, practising obedience etc with all that noise going on around him. It took a little while but eventually he calmed down and tuned into me instead of the noises. I have the next two weeks off work so its a good time to really knuckle down and work with him.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't want to comment because you were going to see Nek but I would have suggested what she did. Put him into boot camp. NILIF. I would even consider treating him like a working dog ie crate when not doing something with him.

If mine are shitting me off I will call them and then make them sit, drop, stand etc I let them know if I don't appreciate behavior.

To be honest I think he is going to be tricky to rehome unless you can find a agilty/flyball home or someone who likes a challenge. He doesn't sound like he is going to make a good pet.

It appears we have stumbled across Rocky's passion... SWIMMING! Took the kids to a local lake yesterday to catch guppies, and after being tentative at first, Rocky decided to get his feet wet and that was it! Couldn't get him out! It was the first time in his life he'd ever been swimming, but he is a complete water baby. He swam round and round, played with the kids, etc. He did swim after the ducks once but came back as soon as I called him. He swam for well over an hour! :D

20150106_183953.jpg

20150106_184243.jpg

20150106_190152.jpg

20150106_190908.jpg

Another water baby & yes that will wear him out LOL. Thats great actually. It will help to expel a lot of pent up energy & tension. It has really been a huge confidence builder for my very anxious girl as well. It has made a big difference to Stella so I hope it has the same effect on Rocky if he can swim regularly.

.... He is in his own little world - ....He doesn't know anything .... I suspect he is a dog who has always just entertained himself. .... Any ideas ....

Few ideas, lots of sympathy. This describes Rheneas to a T when we took him home from RSPCA. He was under 12 months, maybe a Shetland Sheepdog cross, touch of Corgi or Pom or both, exact age unknown, hyperactive. The only explanation I've heard suggested for his behaviours or lack of them is that he grew up to near adult-hood in a glass case without other pups and minimal people contact. The world revolved around him, he could not "connect" to anything. He is now around 12-13 years and a different dog. He tries hard to please, listens and learns,

The barking was the worst, we were his last-ditch chance through RSPCA he had been quickly returned twice. Barked all day, all night, all circumstances, nobody slept. And he refused any concept of house-training, that took so long to achieve. Unbelievable stress. We had magic done by the awesomely wonderful corner vets, near you I think Kirty. I had all the letters of complaint from neighbours, warnings from the Council, receipts for professional consultation, proof that we regularly attended obedience training, proof of company and enrichment, proof vision of road and neighbour's property blocked: everything legally required to take the step as the only alternative to pts. Brilliant: he still barks incessantly all these years later, can't control him, can't control himself. But he is happy and joyous and loves life and I swear still does not know that he is "not barking".

We somehow completed his basic obedience certificates at Croydon: I will say that the best instructor I ever came across even quite lost temper with him, he was so ignoring, so determined to have his way, so hard to get through that glass barrier: said instructor stopped short of intended reaction and had to leave the class. Quelle embarrassing!! Flyball training absolutely totally saved the day, he was never brilliant, not reliable but had little moments of glory peppered with frequently losing the plot. He finally picked up the behaviour/reward idea that could be transferred to other areas and built on. The final result is that he is (to me) the best dog anyone could have and worth the time it took, but yes it took lots of time.

It gets to me when I see a lone pup in a glass box in a pet-shop.

That lake would be a fantastic outlet for Rocky - take care - when I lived near it after re-construction of the park it was a hefty fine for off-lead dogs while they established wetland birds, it's probably more relaxed now. We used to drive over to Seaford for their swims, but with no re-call it was always heart in mouth for Rheneas.

Understand all your difficulties with him Kirty, can only say that with our fellow the outcome is worth the heartache.

Jakes problems are completely different except for the "own world" thing. Have you tried 101 things to do with a box. It gave us a beginning of a positive interaction, it allowed me to see how his brain works and get a bit of a read on his body language and thought style. At the least its 10 minutes where you are interacting without any correction or instruction.

It won't help your problems directly but sometimes when you're at the end of your tether just trying to do something positive with the dog helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally made it to Nek today and she has kindly offered to look after him for a week or two. It will give me a break from him so I can have a clear head to try new things, and also let her make a good start on 'rewiring' him. She is hopeful that if we can break his habits and teach him new behaviours, he might come good. He was certainly knackered after his training session today, and got well and truly told off by her Mal when he tried to hump her! My dogs don't tell him off, they just ignore him, so it will be good for him to learn some doggy manners there. I'm so very grateful to Nek for her help.

Finally made it to Nek today and she has kindly offered to look after him for a week or two. It will give me a break from him so I can have a clear head to try new things, and also let her make a good start on 'rewiring' him. She is hopeful that if we can break his habits and teach him new behaviours, he might come good. He was certainly knackered after his training session today, and got well and truly told off by her Mal when he tried to hump her! My dogs don't tell him off, they just ignore him, so it will be good for him to learn some doggy manners there. I'm so very grateful to Nek for her help.

That is so encouraging.

:thumbsup:

Oh you are so fortunate Kirty. Rocky is in excellent hands there. Can't wait to hear how he progresses.

Will follow this thread with keen interest. Nekhbet is the only reason I so wish I lived in Victoria :laugh:

I would LOOOVVVEE her to give me some insight/help/ training schedule with Stella. She too is in need of rewiring as she often has meltdowns. Also doesn't have many manners around certain dogs. Loves to charge at them if given the opportunity. Not nice at all.

Thanks for returning that collar I lent you Kirty.

Edited by BC Crazy

Oh ???? Rocky looks lovely & relaxed there. He has had such a crappy life before kirty so kindly took him in. Now to have you Nek also so kindly give him a leg up. All paws crossed for him. I so hope he can over come his behavioural issues & find a loving forever home...

Haha maybe you and I should go for a road trip BC. Put the two beasties in the back of the van and by the time we got there they'd be fixed...

That's great for Rocky, I look forward to hearing how this goes. Thanks for the pic Nek. Nice looking dogs.