Is 3 Dogs Better Than 2?

Dame Aussie

Our two guys are around 6yo now and we've been thinking about getting a third dog in the next year or so.

It will probably be a rescue/pound dog and we're not too fussed on sex but I'd love opinions on what combo is best, though I imagine it largely depends on the individual dog... we currently have one of each and both are dog friendly.

So I'm just hoping to get some practical opinions I guess....do you love having more than 2 dogs? Is it too much? What are the pros and cons?

We pretty much live our life around our dogs so time/attention isn't an issue :laugh:

Thanks in advance :)

I have three and find it no problem at all. I chose a female for the third because my male is a bully with other males, and I wanted to minimise the drama. Still took him 5 months to get used to her, but now they are besties.

I thought having another young dog would take the pressure of the old dog to play, but they all play with each other, the old girl just doesn't do the crazy running chasey games that the younger two do.

When I take them out, I usually take two dogs at a time, so one is home alone, meaning they are all used to spending time alone which mitigates the risk of separation issues occurring, and means I can kennel separately if I go away.

Disadvantage? Costs more! More risk management because my male is a resource guarder, and while the old girl has him worked out, I have to be careful with the male around the newest dog. Um, what else...my car is a bit small? Lol.

Edited by superminty

Have to say only if you love them :)

I have had between 4 & 8 dogs for the last 19 years although the 8 was only short term so with breeding some ( not all ) & puppies around guess I just love them & manage them all fine. Yes its a bit of organising or messing about at times but it depends what suits you, your lifestyle & your personality.

We have four.... I think three is good because you can take one out and leave two at home - important as we have one who can't be left at home alone. I love four, love three.... But I think we've agreed that our ideal number is two. It probably depends a bit on the size of the dogs. Four greyhounds is a lot of long legs in the car but two is easy to take anywhere.

I will say that I've not noticed a noticeable amount of extra work as we've gone above two. Pack dynamics have changed and ideally I'll not have two girls again. I love them but they are quite intense compared to the boys. In future I'll have one girl and one or two boys. Also as we added pooches our top dog changed and we are constantly watching interactions to eliminate problems before they arise.

Pick carefully for age and temperament. Three dogs is a pack and you can have problems with settling. A third disrupts the relationship between the existing two and it may take months to settle down. Consider using muzzles and crates for a while.

Having said that, I'm loving my bigger pack and wouldn't swap this time for anything. It's chaotic sometimes but seeing their personalities and relationships change is amazing. I've learnt so much about dog behavior and myself doing this that I think I'm a better dog owner because of our gang and their number.

I'll be devils advocate and say I love having 2, each dog has 'their' person so they both get plenty of attention at cuddle time.

Realistically though I'd love a 3rd, I just know I won't be allowed to :p

3 dogs is my perfect number, it allows one on one time while giving the other company, I find it is still quite easy to walk all if them, if one ends up sick and hospitalised the other will usually fret less and three is more fun than two.

We have had from two to seven while we rescuing and I found two males and one female is the best combination.

We have three boys.

It is interesting watching them all trying to play, which doesn't always work. I have two English Setters and a GSD. The Setters play beautifully together but then the GSD tries to play too and kinda wrecks it. So I think that is a consequence of their personalities more than the number of dogs.

I do believe that dogs recognise their breed and get on best with others from the same breed.

It doesn't seem harder to walk three than two. And it is good being able to take one out (e.g. to the vet) and having two left to keep each other company.

Thanks guys! Management is probably my biggest reservation, our two get along pretty well but I can see the need for extra supervision and awareness when adding a third.

Don I'd love a kitty but the OH would prefer not haha. I'm slowly talking him round though!

Only you can really say if three dogs is better than 2; it's an individual thing. Perhaps foster a dog with a temperament you'd be looking for and see how you go :)

My combo of 3 is great at the moment but 4 is my ideal. I'd probably only go up to 5 again if one or two of them were elderly.

I have 4 but three are mine, one is my husbands soI kind of have three as they are always with me, his is with him.

I find three far better than two, as said I can take one and there are still two left as company. I do have a smaller breed so that helps, three easily fit on the lounge with me - there is not heaps if space left :)

I have the odd foster go in and out and the odd other extra and I find that a bit harder and like going back to my three.

I have 5 (4 over 30kg and one kelpie)

when 3 of them are girls and you never wanted girls, 5 is too many.

I think if they were all boys, or 4 boys and one girl, 5 would be excellent.

For me, three was a great number, truth be told two after them were accidents! :laugh:

I like three because it does give you that flexibility of being able to take one and not leave one at home alone, but 3 (depending on size of course :p) is also a manageable number to take anywhere on your own.

Just don't get three girls. Three girls is awful! I was sooooo unprepared for girls.

We have 3, two girls & one boy. Our first two are close in age and are quite bonded. Sammy came in as a foster, we failed and she stayed. She is considerably older than the other two. We watch them carefully, we occasionally get scuffles but Sammy has slotted in pretty well. She just toddles round.

Originally we thought having another girl would be a problem with our other girl but our boy was the one who took the longest to accept Sammy.

Yes having three means one can go out, other two stay at home but I also enjoy taking them all together. Three can be hard when it comes to going away etc, we are lucky that one place we stay at allows us to take all three, otherwise we have a few babysitters who happily look after them for us at home.

3 is certainly different, we added a third in May this year and its an adjustment. Adds a new dimension in the yard and because we have 9yrs, 6yrs and now a one year old the new younger energy is so much more noticeable :laugh: I find it hard to take all 3 out so usually take the younger 2 out together and walk Rams by himself. Rams refuses to play with the other 2 as he has slowed down alot in that regard but the shepherd plays fine with my field. 3 is different and we will eventually get back down to 2...maybe even one for a while and see how it goes although Ive never had just one dog before so I doubt that will really happen :laugh:

Its not better or worse...its just different and its a personal thing too!

I had three for years and have to say having two is definitely easier. I am pondering adding a pup but I think I might way another year or so, it is very peaceful at the moment (most of the time) :laugh:

I have no concerns about adding a third aside from the extra time and work it will take to raise a pup.

I think I asked this very question not long ago because I REALLY want a third dog and it's been a battle of heart vs brain. I would love a Saluki but desperately want another Aussie Terrier, I yearn for another Aussie.

Having said that, I've grown up in a one dog and one cat only household so have found two dogs quite a challenge. My two and I also have issues to work with and I'm just now really starting to enjoy agility with Zeus and some further basic training with Kirah who missed out on a lot growing up.

At 3 years old, she's pretty much still a blank slate when it comes to training and because she's more full on and not as quick a learner as Zeus, I'm learning so much more about training and dog ownership.

So my heart will continue to yearn for another Aussie (or 3!), I'll still want a Saluki, but my brain is switched on to enjoying the dogs I've got and to work from there! :heart: my bubbas!!