Dogs Of The World

Kajirin

Does anyone know why they called an Australian Shepherd, an Australian Shepherd, when it originated in USA? I've always been a bit puzzled by that...

The theory I see the most is that they originally came from Spain and came over to the US with shepherds via Australia :)

Does anyone know why they called an Australian Shepherd, an Australian Shepherd, when it originated in USA? I've always been a bit puzzled by that...

The theory I see the most is that they originally came from Spain and came over to the US with shepherds via Australia :)

And bought with them Australian Sheep I've heard laugh.gif

Silly Americans. Maybe they should be called Spanish Shepherds?

The first time I saw this, I remember thinking how short-changed Britain was - probably because to have put more than 15 pictures in a box would make them too small to see! Perhaps if they had separate boxes for Ireland, Scotland, Northern England and Southern England then we might see a few more of the other terriers, hounds and coursers that originated there.

A nice little bit of fun nevertheless!

I want a Whippet jumper :)

Are "Australian" Aberdeen Angus Australian or Scottish?

In regard to angus Cattle look here My link

One interesting thing, Murray Grey cattle came from Angus cattle originally, the first found in the Murray Valley region - hence their name and they were light - from a dark brown through to a very pale grey. An Angus farmer found a light coloured calf in his herd one morning and it went from there.

Thankfully Murray Grey cattle are now very well stabilised and much quieter that their black (or Red) counterparts :)

Edited by OSoSwift