Is It Safe To Keep A Gsd (big Dog) In With Little Ones?

Guest Roka

G'day,

I have been thinking about getting a German Shepherd as a companion and also for protection but am afraid it might be a bad idea because I already have 2 small dogs.

Is it safe to keep a GSD in with small dogs? I have read that they have been known to attack small dogs.

I would like to hear other people's experiences, advice and recommendations.

P.S. I like the old style straight backed GSD's that are big bonned and "Boofy"! :o)

I also want one that is very gentle and laid back. As I mentioned above I want one as a pet and companion and for protection (as in the way he looks, not as in having an aggressive nature).

Thanks.

I have two miniature schnauzers and from time to time we come across a beautiful long haired shepherd who is the most laid back pussycat ever. He lays down to play with the smaller dogs at the park, and I have no hesitation letting them get together. I reckon it all depends on the individual dog.

I have a GSD and 2 Kelpies.

While they are young it is probably best to have them separated and only together under supervision. Large dogs don't always know their strength and size as puppies, and could accidentally hurt one in play. Although with my guys, it was my GSD who came out second best when there was a collision! (he broke a leg when he was 6 months old, collided with one of my other dogs when they were zooming around the yard).

Growing up we had our dog Ninja who is German Shepherd cross Kelpie and quite large, and a couple on miniature pincers that we inherited from granma. Even though they were introduced as adults there was no issues and they all became great friends. The cat was much more of a threat to the min pins than Ninja! :laugh:

This really made me laugh! :laugh: Just the mental image of it as I also have a cat. Well, two of them actually. One is very old and suffering from kidney disease :cry:

My small dog and cat love each other and get along very well as demonstrated in this You Tube Video:

Dog and Cat are Best Mates, Friends, BFF's, Giving each other a bath:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KY42FPNYLVQ

Growing up we had our dog Ninja who is German Shepherd cross Kelpie and quite large, and a couple on miniature pincers that we inherited from granma. Even though they were introduced as adults there was no issues and they all became great friends. The cat was much more of a threat to the min pins than Ninja! :laugh:

Really depends on the individual dog :) Depends on your current dogs and their behaviours too.

You may need to be cautious while the GSD is young just for the reasons Kavik said - big boofy puppies could be too much for the littlies and unintentionally hurt them.

It is safe to keep GSDs with little dogs.

As a pup they might be rambunctious and not know their own size - I remember my boy sitting on my very small cat because he has no idea what his bum is doing (still doesn't.)

Maybe you should look into an older dog?

Here is my boy with his little buddy that he lives with (the beige dog) and the two little girl dogs he hangs out with weekly.

post-1421-0-03346600-1411712653_thumb.jpg

Yes but always seperate them when you go out.

I had several small dogs & my doberman. She was beautiful with the tiny ones but one day when she was very old she went for a biscuit on the floor at the same time as the tiny chihuahua, snapped just once & broke the little dogs jaw :cry:

I don't think she meant to & she hadn't been well, which I shortly after discovered was cancer, so out of character but glad I was right there when it happened. They had lived together for 7 years without incident.

Little girl recovered after surgery & many weeks but I was always so careful after that.

We have three German Shepherds and while we don't have any small dogs, we do have four cats.

I probably would never be comfortable leaving a German Shepherd alone with a small dog. They are big, and all it would take is one bite or a moment's clumsiness (German Shepherds can play incredibly rough) and a small dog could be hurt.

It does depend on the individual dog, but even our placid as anything male does like to chase our two girls down and ram into them with his toys. I don't know if he would adjust his play style all that much if the dogs were smaller as that is just how he is.

Also, be careful when using the words 'old style' and 'straight back', I see a lot of BYB who are breeding out of standard (not in a good way), oversized dogs that have crappy temperaments, but who lure a lot of unwary buyers in with those exact words.

I have 4 Belgian Malinois with a french bulldog and a 13 year old pug and they get along fine. I separate when I leave though only because of size difference.

If you want a working style not show style dog there are some good breeders around, but finding a laid back no drive german shepherd these days with that shape is a bit rare. It's a working breed that needs firm training while growing up so you dont have problems.

We don't even leave our little dogs with the border collies if we are out. Much too easy for them to play that little bit too rough or knock them over. Heck, I trip over them constantly even when I concentrate!!! We will crate them together but not leave them somewhere with lots of running room, its just an accident waiting to happen. Our biggest border is Whip at 17kgs. Would hate to think what a maturing GSD could do if it knocked a little one over.

We have big & small but it all about common sense & training & that doesn't just mean the big dog ,the little dogs also need to now the rules .

Most of our big/small are left together BUT some when out we separate because its the right thing to do

This was my GSD ,

As for them attacking any dog big or small can problem is when people want to own dogs that aren't trained to live together ,most little dogs are the annoying ones but get away with it because "there small" size doesn't matter if your little dogs don't interact with big dogs often then it can be a massive life changing experience for them & one they will either accept or hate

My big dogs are taught to lay down for any small dog BUT i also appreciate there near 40 kg & no matter how gentle they are 40kg v 10 kg is a massive difference & one wrong move & yes things can go wrong so as such we are set up for all sizes to enjoy life & have there own space but we are on an acre .

post-219-0-95815100-1411721385_thumb.jpg

I have pugs and a GSD. My Buffy has grown up with the Pugs and is now 14.

I had her mother and Grandmother. All had beautiful temperaments. All were completely trustworthy around the pugs. However I was always mindful of giving the big dogs some breathing room.

My Buffy has a special love of puppies. She always knows when there are pups in the house and will sit outside the window of the room they are in "guarding" them. When they are old enough they are allowed to play with her and never once did she display any signs of aggression. She would reprimand them if they got too rough . I have two 12 week old girls here. They babies love to follow her and grab her tail and be general little pills but given her age I limit the time they spend with her. I always supervise and when she's had enough then they are separated.

Edited by puglvr

I yave 5 samoyeds 1 lab and a havanese, they all get along fantastically.

I am, however very careful with the Havanese and he's never left alone with the Samoyeds as they are much bigger than him (despite what he thinks) and accidents can happen to the best of us.