What Food Can Your Dog Not Resist?

Loving my Oldies

We once had a dog that literally did go "whacko for Smackos." I always assumed they added some particular aromatic.

Now I have two Flat Coats. They will eat anything, especially if they think the other will get it.

To give them pills, I just make a game of it, and toss it in the air. They will snaffle it without thinking.

We do this with our flat coat too! We play "catch" and Gus literally will hoover the biggest, worst tablets if he thinks it might be something tasty. :laugh:

I love having a silly easy dog!

Thank you for sharing. Very appropriate in this thread wherein I have expressed despair and sorrow and trying everything to,help my little dog.

I was just sharing a laugh RE feeding tablets, absolutely no need to jump down my throat.

It wasn't a reflection of the sympathy I feel in any way shape or form.

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so sorry DD. Theres nothing worse than that seesaw of them looking hungry, you get it all ready and they sniff & walk away. Begging them to please eat something. :(

I've had moderate success with tin kitten food mixed in (there's none in the cupboard but I'll get the name today at the shops and add the brand name here). Not sure if it's the smell or the smooth consistency but it has worked even mixed in with dry if that's the preference of the hour. Bit embarrassing that it's supermarket stuff but hey, if they finally eat I'm happy.

And a tablet in a teeny blob of liverwurst. Again, I'm sure it's the smell but for me I like that you only need enough to coat the tablet and it's so sticky they can't separate the pill from the treat. I've still had to resort to the syringe, I just hate the struggle when they know what's coming. :(

I did also come up with a pureed cooked chicken meat with it's own gelatine added and some marscapone to make it smooth and palatable. Tango only ate it for a few days but it helped.

edit to add the kitten food:

this brand and this flavour, only this one was a success - never any of the others!

post-6444-0-75415100-1419279361_thumb.jpg

Edited by Powerlegs

:(:( tried the Chunkers. Not even the other dogs would eat them. Same as Four Legs. Actually I did have success with Myrtie with one of those little, balled foods, but she is now over The Bridge :cry::cry:

Also tried mixing cat food. Actually I haven't tried Kitten so I'll put that on the shopping list. He licks Gussy Cat's bowl clean, but if I actually put a small bowl of her food down for him, he won't touch it.

He loves yoghurt, but if I mix it in or just put it on top of wet food, he will eat the yoghurt and nothing else. Ditto if I try mixing it with kibble. He will suck off the yoghurt and leave the kibble.

Maybe I'll buy pizzas just for him :(

Just had another thought.

I had an old blind dog that would pull her head back when I put her food bowl down. The vet said that her sense of smell was stronger to compensate for loss of sight. So I always fed her on a flat plate so that the smell would dissipate easily and she ate a lot better.

Clutching at straws, I know!

Yes, I am too, Jemappelle, so I am open to any suggestions. There may be some I haven't tried :(

I have some old Pyrex flan dishes and tend to use those with him because of the way he pushes the food around. The. Et said he would have very little sight left in his left eye, so the sense of smell may be becoming stronger.

Sorry if you didn't see my comments as serious. Have you tried smackos, there is something in them that really gets some dogs going. I wouldn't normally advocate them, but if you can't get your dog to eat, it might help. Perhaps broken up and mixed with other food?

I understand your boy isn't well, but is food-play an option? My dogs will swallow pills if I just tease them a bit and toss the pill in the air. Could you try that with little pieces of food? Even just waiving it under his nose, before putting it in his mouth.

I've also heard that a lot of dogs love the smell and taste of freshly cooked bacon.

Edited by Big D

We once had a dog that literally did go "whacko for Smackos." I always assumed they added some particular aromatic.

Now I have two Flat Coats. They will eat anything, especially if they think the other will get it.

To give them pills, I just make a game of it, and toss it in the air. They will snaffle it without thinking.

We do this with our flat coat too! We play "catch" and Gus literally will hoover the biggest, worst tablets if he thinks it might be something tasty. :laugh:

I love having a silly easy dog!

Used do that with Gabor who was actually never getting medication but Tibor was.

When the time came that Gabor needed medication he just lined up for a game.

:heart:

He stabilised for a while, VM but over the past few weeks has dropped to 5kgs :(

I see him drink quite a bit so no problems there.

He has just jumped up onto the couch when most of the time he tells me he can't do it and I must pick him up. He is having big rollies and trying to dig to China. So despite not much going into his tummy, he is enjoying himself. We've had a very slow and sedate amble around the block too, so all good for today. :) :)

Edited by Dame Danny's Darling

I'm gunna go out a limb and suggest a little human recipe to try. This just follows on from my thoughts on anything is going to be better than nothing and Danny being at the age where a bit of spoiling with food is really for enjoyment and is not going to be such a bad thing.

250g chicken mince

1 teaspoon turmeric

1 dessert spoon raw honey

one raw egg

Mix thoroughly roll into little balls and squash into small patties and fry in a medium hot pan using coconut oil.

Now this is by no means a balanced meal but the ingredients are all very healthy - and guaranteed, it will be yummy. If this works then you can look at adding some minced bone a little organ or some grated or steamed vegies etc etc. Even crumbing into nuggets.

How about Nutrigel for dogs "Nutrigel is a high calorie, highly palatable source of dog and cat vitamin supplementation recommended for inclusion in diets of dogs and cats where levels may be low."

Does not solve the problem but may help - maybe Angus can recommend something better.

Our thoughts are with you DDD and Dany. Come on little boy. Give your mumma something to smile about.

How about Nutrigel for dogs "Nutrigel is a high calorie, highly palatable source of dog and cat vitamin supplementation recommended for inclusion in diets of dogs and cats where levels may be low."

Does not solve the problem but may help - maybe Angus can recommend something better.

Our thoughts are with you DDD and Dany. Come on little boy. Give your mumma something to smile about.

Giving him Nutrigel demands that I anchor him between my legs, force his mouth open and slather it on his tongue. Too upsetting for us both.

Angus has tried about every prescription food in the shop. I went in once when Nikki was on and asked her for a selection LOL. She brought out a few including a small can of a newly released recipe for me to try ..... as you would know, they are not cheap.

That night I gave it to him, left him barricaded in the kitchen, came back and saw an empty bowl. Excitement!!!! When I picked up the bowl, I discovered it all on the floor where he'd immediately sicked it all up :eek: . That was some weeks ago, because he doesn't throw up much anymore.