Upset

Perfume

I enquired about a puppy, asked a few questions and was relatively happy but needed some time to think about a few things. Breeder was very nice and said she would give me 24 hours to think about it and that if any serious enquiries were to take place she would let me know but would give me first preference. 24 hours haven't lapsed but I had decided I definitely wanted to go ahead with the pup so I called the breeder's mum as I was unable to find the actual breeder's phone number besides which the pup was staying with her mother. I excitedly told her I wanted to purchase the pup only to be told the pup had been sold and was picked up today. I feel as though the rug was pulled from underneath me. I explained that the daughter was giving me first choice and would have called me to advise me of such, the woman said she took matters into her own hands and sold the pup regardless. Nice attitude. To say I am shocked is an understatement.

Edited by Perfume

As sad as it is that you have missed out on the puppy you want it sounds like you may have dodge a bullet anyway Perfume...in terms of having a relationship with a breeder/s with no communication and whom one has no people skills.

Aside from two wonderful dogs from the same breeder, i also go a wonderful friend and ally out of my dogs' breeder; you can't buy that!

I've sadly had the same thing happen to me too. Back in the days before tail docking was outlawed in Victoria, our family looked at a puppy and at the time, weren't 100% on the idea of a tail that was being left entire. We were given a week to decide. We did decide within the week to welcome that puppy into our family tail and all, only to be informed that he had been sold the following day. I found that a very poor conduct by the registered breeder. I know it works both ways, but surely a courtesy call was in order.

• Like 1

As sad as it is that you have missed out on the puppy you want it sounds like you may have dodge a bullet anyway Perfume...in terms of having a relationship with a breeder/s with no communication and whom one has no people skills.

Aside from two wonderful dogs from the same breeder, i also go a wonderful friend and ally out of my dogs' breeder; you can't buy that!

I have to agree, very sad but I can't imagine any good breeder giving you such a short deadline anyway.

I have to agree, very sad but I can't imagine any good breeder giving you such a short deadline anyway.

I would have only given 24 hrs to think about it. How long is a breeder supposed to knock back possible homes while waiting for someone to make up their mind?

I would have only given 24 hrs to think about it. How long is a breeder supposed to knock back possible homes while waiting for someone to make up their mind?

Sorry, bad wording, I meant shorter than what the breeder said originally.

Unfortunately it's the breeder's prerogative and they're running a business. The other person may've put them on the spot giving them a definite sale whereas you were uncertain.

Best to move on and be excited about finding another puppy?

I lost out on 2 other pups before I got Ernie. The kids were devastated. I just kept repeating (to them and myself) the right dog will come into your life at the right time. Won't make the pain go away but it does make it easier to bear.

Edited by Stressmagnet

Unfortunately it's the breeder's prerogative and they're running a business. The other person may've put them on the spot giving them a definite sale whereas you were uncertain.

Best to move on and be excited about finding another puppy?

Yes, the breeder is running a business as you say, but if the OP was given a week to decide, and the breeder was unsure which way the decision would go, and along comes a sure thing, wouldn't it be common courtesy to contact the OP and and give them the right to decide? Personally, I think it's quite rude and unbusiness like and the OP probably is fortunate to be involved with such a breeder.

I have to agree with the others, it sounds like you have dodged a bullet - I can't stress enough how wonderful it is to have an ongoing relationship with the breeder of your puppy. Even though our breeder is on the other side of the country we are always in touch, sharing pics and swapping stories. She kept a girl from the litter and it is funny how cheeky, mischievous and similar the brother and sister are :D

So while the heartbreak of missing out is short lived, the opportunity to find someone you can trust is very much alive :)

To be honest you can't blame the breeder's mum. You were undecided, another purchaser came along that wanted the pup. What would have happened to the pup if you decided in the timeframe given that you didn't want the pup, then that pup potentially missed out on a home with the person that wanted the pup. The breeder's mum probably stepped in because she has probably seen this happen before when the indecisive person probably didn't even come back to the breeder to let them know they didn't the want the pup and in the meantime, they have turned down other homes holding the pup for the indecisive person who never got back in touch. Not saying you would do this, but they have probably experienced this situation from other potential indecisive puppy purchasers in the past.

Was meant to be, there is another pup waiting for you :)

To be honest you can't blame the breeder's mum. You were undecided, another purchaser came along that wanted the pup. What would have happened to the pup if you decided in the timeframe given that you didn't want the pup, then that pup potentially missed out on a home with the person that wanted the pup. The breeder's mum probably stepped in because she has probably seen this happen before when the indecisive person probably didn't even come back to the breeder to let them know they didn't the want the pup and in the meantime, they have turned down other homes holding the pup for the indecisive person who never got back in touch. Not saying you would do this, but they have probably experienced this situation from other potential indecisive puppy purchasers in the past.

We had an understanding and that is that if someone was to come forward and show a real interest in the pup, the breeder would give me a call and advise me, this didn't happen. If the breeder had not said that I would not have had any expectations. A promise is a promise, at least I thought so. The daughter, whom the pup belonged to, was niceā€¦.her mother, on the other hand, was rude and abrupt from the onset. I guess, as most of you have said, I have dodged a bullet, it is sad that there are such people like her in the breeding world and it can be definitely off putting but I won't let this negative experience deter me from continuing in my search.

We had an understanding and that is that if someone was to come forward and show a real interest in the pup, the breeder would give me a call and advise me, this didn't happen. If the breeder had not said that I would not have had any expectations. A promise is a promise, at least I thought so. The daughter, whom the pup belonged to, was niceā€¦.her mother, on the other hand, was rude and abrupt from the onset. I guess, as most of you have said, I have dodged a bullet, it is sad that there are such people like her in the breeding world and it can be definitely off putting but I won't let this negative experience deter me from continuing in my search.

Consider yourself lucky. Even though I believe the breeder did the absolute wrong thing by you, and should have stuck to her part of the bargain, who would want to have a relationship with someone like that. The saying goes, one door shuts and another opens.

I thought you said the 24 hours had lapsed? if that's the case its your mistake isn't it?

breeders must have heaps of time wasters who never get back to them ,they didn't know you were still keen after that time.