My Dogs Are Fighting!

Guest donatella

Guest donatella

Oookay Jane just left, lovely lady!

She thinks they are both great dogs with a little bit of training the issues resolved in no time. She thinks the aggression is because of their ages. No more walks until training program better enforced so lots of in house training. I'm off to buy 2 soft crates the next few days and train them in this. Relieved to hear that they're not as bad as I thought. She said they are great little dogs and most poms she meets are so aggressive she can't even touch them. Will catch up again over Christmas

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oookay Jane just left, lovely lady!

She thinks they are both great dogs with a little bit of training the issues resolved in no time. She thinks the aggression is because of their ages. No more walks until training program better enforced so lots of in house training. I'm off to buy 2 soft crates the next few days and train them in this. Relieved to hear that they're not as bad as I thought. She said they are great little dogs and most poms she meets are so aggressive she can't even touch them. Will catch up again over Christmas

:thumbsup: good news!!

She said they are great little dogs and most poms she meets are so aggressive she can't even touch them.

OMG, that is just so sad. I can attest to meeting one at the vets the other day who was like that. Totally the owner's fault. These dogs get like that because they are treated like little toys instead of like dogs. So so sad.

On the other hand, I've met many who are not like that.

I am glad that Jane was able to point you in the right direction. Good luck to you and your two gorgeous dogs.

Edited by Dame Danny's Darling

Great news about your two bubs Don!! Just be careful with soft crates as some are easy to destroy and I found out that Zeus learned how to roll his around by leaning on the sides. :eek:

DDD I cant help but wonder if most small dogs Jane meets have been mollycoddled hence their aggression. It seems common for many toy breeds unfortunately. :(

The above isn't aimed at you at all Don -- just wanted to clarify that!

Dona, I wouldn't bother with soft crates. Id buy a couple of good wire crates. They're much less hassle and you can see exactly what your dogs are doing in a wire crate. I had a couple of soft crates and gave them both away.

I have to agree.

Seen soft crates completely shredded by toy breeds.

I mentioned in another post 'knowing' some gorgoeus Griffons.

Well destroy soft crates were their names.

:)

ETA: THRILLED for you, Don that the meeting went so well. HUGS x

Edited by VizslaMomma

So glad to hear they are getting better already and that they're not as bad as originally thought :thumbsup:

Dona, I wouldn't bother with soft crates. Id buy a couple of good wire crates. They're much less hassle and you can see exactly what your dogs are doing in a wire crate. I had a couple of soft crates and gave them both away.

I agree, wire is probably better. Plus so much easier to reward them through it as you dont have to unzip the door. You can buy nice little covers too for after their initial training :)

post-42249-0-66307200-1417926493_thumb.jpg

Great news Don. A bit of training & your littey's should be fine :thumbsup:

I minded a Pom for a lady who took ill suddenly whilst I was on hols a while ago. Didn't know tiny Maddie from a bar of soap. What a great ball of fluff she was & smart as. She wasn't at all aggressive BUT I did notice her owner very rarely picked her up & she did treat her like well, a dog, not like a handbag & I think as others have said that has a lot to do with it. I know of another little fluff ball who is a definite handbag dog & he is the most snappy, defense & just plan aggressive dog. IMHO being carried all the time enhances bad attitude & defensiveness.

I have to say Jane Harper or any good behaviorist would see the worst of any breed in most instances.

Guest donatella

Lucy is 3 and Bonnie 2. She feels that now Bonn has reached maturity Lucy is making sure she knows who is in charge. She also thinks Lucy would benefit my being more of a leader then Lucy wouldn't feel like she has too. It's nice to hear from a professional that you otherwise have very friendly lovely dogs she has made me feel a lot better. She thinks Bonn would make a great therapy dog with her temperament and love of people.

We decided on soft crates because I like the idea they come ready covered and easily portable. Neither of mine are chewers (as adults) and once they love their new dens this would be even less an issue.