White Tailed Spider Bite?

Kirislin

I've settled down a bit now and am thinking she'd be pawing at her mouth or showing some sign she'd been bitten I think. I caught her doing her usual daisy ninja and clobbering it to death with her little paws. I think she's OK. The spider isn't feeling so good though. :mad

I found Neko playing with a white tailed spider about 20 minutes ago. I dont know if it's bitten her or not. Anyone know how long it might take before the effects show?

If Neko is bitten, you should be able to ascertain if there is a bite now.

There may be a lump or Nekko is itching in one area. Can you notice any swelling or redness?

Kirislin, this is an old thread from here that I ear-marked months ago.

http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/200815-spider-warning/

Pay attention to kirty's post. She carefully defines the situation. ( I am saying this because I spoke to my Vet & he concurred).

Hope this helps.

A boy that I bred was bitten by 1 a few months ago. He had a massive swelling by the next day and within another 24 hours it had formed what looked like an abscess. It took a good 6 weeks for it to start healing. He visibly reacted (yelped, turned biting at his flank) when it happened/immediately after it happened.

Given how much smaller Neko is then a BC, I very much hope she hasn't been bitten :( I think you would know fairly quickly if she was bitten.

My Rottie was bitten by a White Tail Spider when she was in the crate recoving from ACL surgery. I must have brought it on on the washing.

I noticed a small lump on my dog's side when we were on our way to the vets. The vet pulled off a scab and told me it was a WTS bite (I asked how he knew) he said he'd seen them before. It healed and left a round scar about the size of the old once cent piece and her hair never grew in that spot again. The hair around it covered it so it was hidden.

Off topic : I often wonder why Vets are quickly inclined to pick off scabs from sores on dogs, when we're taught to leave scabs alone as they are part of the body's healing process and scarring can often prove to be more than it otherwise would be if not left alone.

Off topic : I often wonder why Vets are quickly inclined to pick off scabs from sores on dogs, when we're taught to leave scabs alone as they are part of the body's healing process and scarring can often prove to be more than it otherwise would be if not left alone.

Agreed!. I couldn't believe it when he picked the scab off and asked "What did you do that for"? Now she'll have a scar. He said she wouldn't have a scar...wrong. She had a scar for life.

None of my dogs have ever had a scab since then but if it were to happen I would be telling the vet not to rip the scab off, whether or not he wanted to hear it.

He may have needed to see the wound underneath to positively identify what caused it?

T.

Would a vet be able to identify the cause of a wound by lifting a scab to actually see a wound? Somehow I have my doubts. There was no festering under the scab of my Rottie's supposed WTS bite, just a clean wound that healed rapidly but bugger about the lack of hair growth to the area.

I know my GP can't identify the cause of a wound because she asks me what happened to cause it.

He may have needed to see the wound underneath to positively identify what caused it?

T.

Would a vet be able to identify the cause of a wound by lifting a scab to actually see a wound? Somehow I have my doubts. There was no festering under the scab of my Rottie's supposed WTS bite, just a clean wound that healed rapidly but bugger about the lack of hair growth to the area.

I know my GP can't identify the cause of a wound because she asks me what happened to cause it.

GP's are lucky - Vets can't get a detailed description from fido ;)

Could the lack of hair growth after a WTS bite be from the scar tissue after the initial bite/infection?

GP's are lucky - Vets can't get a detailed description from fido ;)

Could the lack of hair growth after a WTS bite be from the scar tissue after the initial bite/infection?

Probably Perse. Obviously the hair follicles were destroyed so I accepted the vet's diagnosis of a WTS bite.

edited to fix quote

Edited by cavNrott

T.

Not to ascertain the cause as such but sometimes the type of wound - is the scab covering intact skin, necrotic skin, an abscess, a puncture wound etc.

T.

Not to ascertain the cause as such but sometimes the type of wound - is the scab covering intact skin, necrotic skin, an abscess, a puncture wound etc.

yep .