Spider Warning

tarope

I was at the vets today with my GSD when a woman came in with a Greyhound that had only three legs, I asked what happened and she told me her dog was bitten by a white tail spider :eek:

It seems the venom has the same effect on dogs as it has on us :sleep: I didn't know a spider could do such damage, so if you see this bastard of a spider kill it. :laugh:

Arch this is so annoying! White tail spiders are not the evil beasts everyone thinks. They SOMETIMES carry a bacteria on their fangs that affects SOME people and obviously SOME animals. Lots of other spiders carry the bacteria too.

Tell that to the poor woman who's dog lost a leg. :laugh::eek:

It doesn't mean you need to kill every spider you see. Some people get bitten by dogs - should we kill all of those in case one of them bites someone? I know its 'just a spider', but its just trying to do its thing. I hate reckless killing.

Even other animals carry the bacteria, or other bacteria that can cause problems. I had to get antibiotics after being bitten by a centipede, once. The nasty one that is associated with White-tails is rare.

I was nearly killed by a spider that was in the hedges when I was clipping them. She had a nest in there and I accidentally stuck my hand in it. SHe was NOT a white tail or any of the "deadly" spiders. She was small, orange and black with white dots. I went into toxic shock due to the bite. The doctor said it was not because the spider was venomous but caused by the bacteria on it's fangs entering my blood stream. Still cant find out what kind of spider she was!!

Argh this is so annoying! White tail spiders are not the evil beasts everyone thinks. They SOMETIMES carry a bacteria on their fangs that affects SOME people and obviously SOME animals. Lots of other spiders carry the bacteria too.

http://www.toxinology.com/about/white_tail...ider_bites.html

http://www.avru.org/compendium/biogs/A000024b.htm

Very true.

Argh this is so annoying! White tail spiders are not the evil beasts everyone thinks. They SOMETIMES carry a bacteria on their fangs that affects SOME people and obviously SOME animals. Lots of other spiders carry the bacteria too.

http://www.toxinology.com/about/white_tail...ider_bites.html

http://www.avru.org/compendium/biogs/A000024b.htm

More often there is an underlying unnoticed condition (like cancer e.g. melanoma) that gets noticed because of the spider bite.

Someone (Skeptics Society?) did an investigation and found no evidence for white-tailed spider bite causing necrosis etc.

On a psychological level, its much easier to blame an external force (nasty, evil spider) than an internal one i.e. cancer, blood disorder etc. that wasn't noticed in time

As far as I am aware you are more likely to contract the nasty bacteria that causes necrosis from a common garden spider than a white tailed spider. It's got nothing to do with venom of the spider, but what bacteria are harbouring on its fangs.

Just out of intrest. I have just returned from NZ where we had a discussion on white tails as there used to be a very high incidence of white tail bites that went bad. There are a lot less now days. The medical profession in the Far North thought it was because people had become immune to them now. I was told once that white tails eat other spiders and this is why they can cause reactions in some people. I like spiders and protect the Huntsman spider in my house but must admit Im not too fond of White Tails. Feel sorry for ladys dog who lost its leg, very unlucky.

Read the links KelpieKaye. :thumbsup: I suspect that the severe effects are not very common at all, but the stories are very exciting and spread like wildfire. Someone on this forum was bitten by a White Tail not long ago and she had no ill effects.

Huntsmen spiders and Daddy Long Legs also eat other spiders, but they are harmless. And yes, Daddy Long Legs CAN bite and NO they are not the world's most deadly spider. Their bite is harmless. :welcome:

It doesn't mean you need to kill every spider you see. Some people get bitten by dogs - should we kill all of those in case one of them bites someone? I know its 'just a spider', but its just trying to do its thing. I hate reckless killing.

+ 1

We have quite a few White tails, some red backs and various other little ones that hang around. The ones that annoy me are the daddy long legs as they have spider webs everywhere and breed worse than rabbits!

I have been bitten 3 times by Huntsmans spiders, two I am quite sure why I got bitten, but the firt time is rather a mystery. However the fang marks that were clearly visible, the distance apart etc it really couldn't have been anything else. The first time it was just really itchy and that brought my attention to it.

I have had a couple of whitetails run up my legs when in bed an slapped them off. I haven't been bitten by a white tail that I am aware of.

Oh and many years ago we had Brutus bitten by what we beleive may have been a redback as the day after he was taken to the vet for a VERY sore and very swollen leg we found one in his crate. And my Dobe got bitten by something on her bum and ripped into it taking a large amount of hair off, had a huge red lump and it was very sore as well. We presumed it was a spider but not 100% sure

Edited by Rommi n Lewis

Once again a silly comment Kirty, as I am passing on what I was told and if people choose to believe it or not it's up to them. If people think this spider is harmless good on them, but I will not risk my health or that of my dogs on the advice of some so called expert.

I don't believe what some of these "experts" say either because they wouldn't allow a white tail spider to bite them just to prove their point would they. :hug: Did you know that you can die from a cat bite, as cats have bacteria on their teeth and they carry bacteria on their claws that can cause a pregnant woman to miscarry but I'm not advocating the killing of cats am I. :hug::hug: