Heartworm Questions - Blood Tests And More

Katdogs

Stevie had a lump taken off (old manky sebaceous cyst that wanted to abscess) and vet said her heart skipped a bit when he was checking everything else - hey, paying for a GA so we had ears syringed and a dental and claws clipped and as close a work-up as our lovely vet could fit in. He suggested a blood test, which has come back with one particular level that makes him want to do a heartworm test when we get her stitches out on Friday. So now I have a few questions.

* When vet rang, I was in a tricky spot and couldn't catch what the 'indicator' was - apparently if other things like white blood cell counts are off then they look for an infection, but everything else was ok so 'parasitic infection' is indicated. I can't get on to the vet until Friday - he already tried to explain, from his home on his night off, offering to call back on his day off, so I don't want to chase up - and don't think the receptionist will tell me.

* Can anyone hand on heart swear their dog has never missed a month of the monthly squirt stuff? If I missed one I'm devastated but if I missed it it's done, I can't fix it now :cry:

* She has none of the main symptoms of heartworm (I googled it). Just panting, and she's a big dog with lots of undercoat and it's Sydney in summer. (answered my own question - I'll stop panicking)

* What are the current treatments for heartworm? From rescue a few years ago I know that pts was a valid consideration for an older dog rather than the treatment. Is this out of date now?

Poor Stevie.

Edited by Comrade Catdogs

I think the protocols have changed. From what he said, it's no longer quite as gloomy.

My vet spoke to me last Thursday about the changes.

To be fair to you, CC, I am going to hope that someone more familiar does reply.

I got a surprise at what he did say though. Last experience I had was a friend's dog that got given horrible horrible chemicals to combat the infection. He did survive though.

It's much different now.

:D

I'm willing to lay odds on it not being heartworm... and Stevie is an amazingly healthy specimen, so if the worst happens to be, then she will be a prime candidate for doing just fine with the treatment, OK?

The only advice I can reliably give you right now is to stop panicking until you have the test results to confirm or rule out this particular nasty.

I know we have plenty of mozzies around here, but I've never actually seen them on any of my dogs... seems they prefer my sweet blood instead... grrr!

You'd have to be pretty unlucky for Stevie to have had a mozzie get through all that fur to infect her on the one month you may have missed with the preventative IMHO.

T.

If eosinophils(type of wbc which indicates increase from parasitic load) are increased it could indicate a reaction to a parasite (also can go up with allergic or hypersensitivity reactions) . Keep in mind this can indicate a reaction to any parasite, not any specific type.

An increase in this would not routinely indicate a heartworm infection if there has been otherwise fairly consistant prevention being given. If there were other symptoms than it may be more believable.

Thank you jrm88! Stevie has always been an allergy dog - we did months of injections - dust mites mainly (I still suspect she's more simian than canine). That was through a different vet so I'll dig out the records.

She was on Revolution for years and then the fleas started to win (new strain from a really suffering foster) so Advocate for the last while.

Just another step on the adventure of our beautiful Stevie. She has the biggest heart in the world!

You may find it easier, as I do, to get the annual heartworm injection for your dog/s. I can sometimes be forgetful with taking medications so at least I know that all the dogs are covered for a full 12 months protection and I don't need to worry. And the vet sends you a reminder when it's due again. I'm sure it will all be fine for your girl, positive thoughts sent for her. :)

Missing 1 month won't make a difference :) It takes 6months for heartworm to mature enough to cause an issue and they can be killed at any point in that time. So even if your dog was unlucky enough to be bitten by a mozzie, who happened to have bitten an affected dog in the previous day or 2 to even be carrying heartworm in the first place, all in the month you may or may not have missed, then the following months dose would have removed the problem :)

We only treat for heartworm every 3 months

Missing 1 month won't make a difference :) It takes 6months for heartworm to mature enough to cause an issue and they can be killed at any point in that time. So even if your dog was unlucky enough to be bitten by a mozzie, who happened to have bitten an affected dog in the previous day or 2 to even be carrying heartworm in the first place, all in the month you may or may not have missed, then the following months dose would have removed the problem :)

We only treat for heartworm every 3 months

Same here, my vet said the incidence of heartworm is fairly uncommon and he hasn't seen a case for quite a few years. It may be different in lower socio-economic areas (where the incidence of parvo and hepatitis is more common) as some dog owners either don't bother or find it difficult to afford the costs.

So DON'T PANIC missing a dose is no biggie

You're all saying just the right things to make me feel better - thank you :thumbsup:

I've emailed Stevie's old allergy test to this vet so he knows what we dealt with at the time - she improved a LOT after months of the desensitising treatment. And yes, I would only have missed a month - I can't imagine missing more than that without noticing!

Hi....I hope you don't have a positive result to heartworm in the end....but if you do, take heart ( no pun intended !) I have a lovely rescue girl here who arrived to me heartworm positive 2 years ago. She had the drug treatment ( which is very painful as they have injections either side of the spine across the loin area over 2 or 3 days) and she had one month of complete and absolute crate rest afterwards ( very important) and after all this she has never looked back and is today a happy and healthy girl. I hope this also sets your mind at rest somewhat that even in worst case scenario it's probable that all will be well. Good luck and I hope your dog is ok.

:cheer: Heartworm clear! :whee:

The big issue was eosinophils indeed. Normal is apparently 0.0-1.4 and her level was 8.8!

Although other haemoglobin and WBC were a bit off, it was only just out of range and the lump on her tail could explain those, but that huge scale of eosinophils indicates parasites.

Now she's had a big worming tablet and we'll do another blood test in a week to see if there's any change. If no sign of tapeworm and no reduction in level in a week, we might be looking at an xray to see what else might explain it.

Being a worrier, I noticed the lung worm diagram on the wall and asked about it and he said he can't rule it out but it's very rare. But I know our local dog food shop owner lost one of his little dogs to it so it's a 'possible'. Her very mild skipping heartbeat might just be 'her'.

More likely she has tapeworm though, because I didn't realise Advocate doesn't cover that one. I've dosed up the other dogs as well so tomorrow is going to be a nice poo-hunt :crazy::crossfingers::vomit: