Million Paws Walk

Willowlane

We have 5 Humans and 4 Dogs participating :D

Who else is making the trip?

I think it is for such a great cause.

We have to pull out one of our dogs as we will have a new puppy at our house by then and I dont want my girl to bring back anything but the other three are all from my family homes so they should all be fine. We even have our 3month old puppy participating. She is such a ball of energy but we figured if she gets tired we can carry her. She is a Border Collier with very very long legs and a huge tank of energy to burn so I think she will be fine lol.

So our dogs participating are Fudge, Hubert and Oaki and maybe Holly but she is a bit old and I dont know if she will make the 2kms. I did hear there is a short track for older dogs. Does anyone know anything about this?

Im sending out some emails today asking for some sponsorship but we dont have anything yet. I just dont know who to ask :(

I don't support the RSPCA, they make millions every year. I have greyhounds so would prefer to give the small amount of financial assistance I can spare to them. That's just my personal opinion though, millions of people take part so I'm sure it will be a great day for those that do.

I am helping to organise our local one - more from an educational point of view than a fundraising one, albeit the fund raising certainly does happen.

We are having all sorts of pet linked stallholders plus council will be there and we will be offering cheap ($20) microchipping for pets ( I think we did several dozen of those last year and are expecting more this year).

More than anything else it is a great function to get the non-dog savvy general public out and about finding that it is quite a lot of fun to walk their dogs in company with their neighbours! :)

I have done the millions walk a few times. Great day out. I have a reactive girl who isn't comfortable in crowds so we won't be participating. I'm not a huge fan of the RSPA & they do very well as far as donations go IMHO. I prefer to try & help the smaller not for profit groups as most do a wonderful job with very little resources & a handful of very passionate animal loving volunteer 's. I do donate what I can plus. dog gear I'm not using, food towels blanketsto my local dog shelter & a working dog rehab group.

Edited by BC Crazy

I would prefer to help the smaller groups so not too fussed if we dont get stacks of donations but Im really looking forward to spending the day out with our dogs and family.

I think setting up the cheaper microchipping is a great idea, the more identification that can be done the better. Same with the promotion of registration and desexing of pets.

We have asked for the RSPCA's help before and always gotten a rather negative response or at least a less than helpful but Wires is little better.

I've done it in the past, used to go yearly with my old dog. There was the smaller walk that I did on our last go around.

I haven't done it in quite a few years, I don't actively support the RSPCA anymore.

A few years there has been similar events organised by local rescues and I've done them instead. Now I'm not a big fan of even our local rescues so... confused.gif

We have 5 Humans and 4 Dogs participating :D

Who else is making the trip?

I think it is for such a great cause.

We have to pull out one of our dogs as we will have a new puppy at our house by then and I dont want my girl to bring back anything but the other three are all from my family homes so they should all be fine. We even have our 3month old puppy participating. She is such a ball of energy but we figured if she gets tired we can carry her. She is a Border Collier with very very long legs and a huge tank of energy to burn so I think she will be fine lol.

So our dogs participating are Fudge, Hubert and Oaki and maybe Holly but she is a bit old and I dont know if she will make the 2kms. I did hear there is a short track for older dogs. Does anyone know anything about this?

Im sending out some emails today asking for some sponsorship but we dont have anything yet. I just dont know who to ask :(

Personally, I would not be taking a 3 month old puppy on a 2 km walk. It is too far for a 12 week old puppy to walk in one hit, and it will be at a pace that is faster than she will be able to walk for the whole way. You risk damaging her joints and causing problems in later life. Just my opinion.

I have done the walk twice, once with my dog club at a regional branch and then the following weekend when I picked up Charlie (he was an rspca dog and the weekend I was traveling to get him coincided with the postponed walk of another regional branch. That was in 2007.

I have competed in the flyball comp at the ACT MPW but never actually walked there. I am not a fan of the RSPCA and will not donate to them, but for many years the ACT RSPCA was actually a decent organization who worked closely with rescue and opposed BSL. Unfortunately I believe they are now just as bad as the others :(

I never walked in the middle of the group when I participated. I always walked in our own space & sat away from others. I have seen a couple of spats between dogs but IMHO you could see them coming a mile off. Owners not paying attention to their dogs & their reactions. Owners responsibility to their dog under effective control.