Help: Which Of These Plants Is Causing My Dogs Itchy Skin?

BobbyM

Hi, I have a GSP Dog, he has recently developed bumpy skin, always scratching and now loosing some hair from the constant scratching. We went to the vet and was given some prednisone to help treat it and was told that it would be caused by a plant in the garden. We have been in this house for a while and its only recently he has had this skin problem and its now been a few months with it. I have removed all the bad and weedy looking trees but think I may be missing something because it just wont go away. As soon as he finishes the prednisone the itchy skin comes back.

Your help is appreciated in diagnosing what might be causing this.

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Pic 4

Pic 5

Pic 6

Pic 7

Edited by BobbyM

Sorry, I can't load those images.

Allergies can be to anything, from plants,to fleas (and it takes ONE bite) to food colourings, to carpet shampoo !

Plants don't 'magically' start an allergy response - dogs need to lie on/in , or sit on, or walk thru ..or inhale pollen from flowers ...

/Wandering Dew /Tradescantia ( google it) is a prime suspect , and it comes in decorative types .

many grasses - like on ovals/lawns/in parks/paddocks can cause allergies, too.

Some dogs are allergic to common foods - like BEEF!

It is frustrating :(

On the top R/H of the page is a search option ... enter stuff like Allergy , or "itchy dog" and see what comes up.

best of luck.

Edited by persephone

What is that in Pic 2? Looks like a form of Wandering Jew...

Pic 7 looks like Dandelion weeds... but I don't think many dogs are allergic to those... mine aren't, but they can get red and itchy from Wandering Jew.

Note: Wandering Jew is a bugger to try to kill... best way I've found is to rip it all out and then pour used sump oil into the ground it was growing in to prevent it coming back.

Some allergies are seasonal too, the grasses change in the different seasons.

T.

Sorry, I can't load those images.

Allergies can be to anything, from plants,to fleas (and it takes ONE bite) to food colourings, to carpet shampoo !

Plants don't 'magically' start an allergy response - dogs need to lie on/in , or sit on, or walk thru ..or inhale pollen from flowers ...

/Wandering Dew /Tradescantia ( google it) is a prime suspect , and it comes in decorative types .

many grasses - like on ovals/lawns/in parks/paddocks can cause allergies, too.

Some dogs are allergic to common foods - like BEEF!

It is frustrating :(

On the top R/H of the page is a search option ... enter stuff like Allergy , or "itchy dog" and see what comes up.

best of luck.

Thanks for that, what happens when you click on the pic? Seams to work for me.

I have searched and read alot just wanting someone to double check my actual plants.

What is that in Pic 2? Looks like a form of Wandering Jew...

Pic 7 looks like Dandelion weeds... but I don't think many dogs are allergic to those... mine aren't, but they can get red and itchy from Wandering Jew.

Note: Wandering Jew is a bugger to try to kill... best way I've found is to rip it all out and then pour used sump oil into the ground it was growing in to prevent it coming back.

Some allergies are seasonal too, the grasses change in the different seasons.

T.

Hi, the one you think is wandering jew may not be, they are small plants that line the driveway, they are just not taken care of because we are renovating. Just not sure because they were put there on purpose or do people still use these as normal plants and they are not just weeds. These have been here the whole time and its only the past few months he is starting to get sick. Thats why I am thinking maybe the grass, so you think I should weed and feed the grass?

The pics load for me but don't know about allergic reactions to specific plants. I agree with tdierikx that pic 2 looks like a decorative type of Wandering Dew /Tradescantia that Persephone also mentioned. I will load your pic as a thumbnail.

It could be the grass, my dog is allergic to Kikuyu grass. I would try not to have the dog on prednisone long term as it can cause other problems. Best to find the cause of course which is what you are trying to do. Many things can cause allergy, diet being another. If you do a forum search there have been quite a few threads on allergies. I wish you the best of luck.

PS Rather than pull it up maybe you could put a wire cage of some sort over the plant in pic 2 or fence off so that your dog cannot step on it until you are sure? Sometimes it can be the plant's pollens as well though and fencing isn't enough.

post-14871-0-92114800-1433642718_thumb.jpg

Edited by LabTested

The pics load for me but don't know about allergic reactions to specific plants. I agree with tdierikx that pic 2 looks like a decorative type of Wandering Dew /Tradescantia that Persephone also mentioned. I will load your pic as a thumbnail.

It could be the grass, my dog is allergic to Kikuyu grass. I would try not to have the dog on prednisone long term as it can cause other problems. Best to find the cause of course which is what you are trying to do. Many things can cause allergy, diet being another. If you do a forum search there have been quite a few threads on allergies. I wish you the best of luck.

PS Rather than pull it up maybe you could put a wire cage of some sort over the plant in pic 2 or fence off so that your dog cannot step on it until you are sure? Sometimes it can be the plant's pollens as well though and fencing isn't enough.

that does look a bit like one .. many of the "wandering dew' family are used in decorative plantings :) they are not generally 'weeds'.

Ok - so dog has been itchy for a few months. When did you start renovating?????

Any times that match?

it may also be a dust/chemical/timber....... just a thought.

(Oh - I have slow internet - a lot of stuff doesn't work properly )

Yep, you need to get rid of the plant in pic number 2. My pei developed a contact rash on her throat maybe a year ago and we had to identify and pull out all potential suspects (including the plant in pic number 2) but discovered it was a bromeliad in a pot she liked to drink rainwater from. It had drooped down and she leaned her neck on it when she drank. Brom gone and problem gone. So if you have any of those you might want to shift them to a part of the yard your dog can't get to as well.

Also search calendula tea rinse here on DOL and you will find something that will soothe that poor skin.

Thanks all, I have just ripped all of those plants out form the front and binned them. Will also weed and feed the whole lawn today. So hopefully that is all the it is.

We have been renovating the inside of the house and its all done, his allergies started after the inside was done so I am confident its something outside.

As for diet we havent changed it in over 12 months, some Kangaroo Mince and ProPlan biscuits.

Picture 2 is Rhoea (Sp)(Moses in the Cradle) definately, it is not wandering jew but it is poisonous to dogs. Not sure if the first one is a cycad which is also poisonous & 5 is also a no no :)

Edited by sheena

Thanks all, I have just ripped all of those plants out form the front and binned them. Will also weed and feed the whole lawn today. So hopefully that is all the it is.

We have been renovating the inside of the house and its all done, his allergies started after the inside was done so I am confident its something outside.

It could be more than one thing causing his itchy skin. I notice Kirty also mentioned carpet; have you had any new carpet installed? If so Google "new carpet and chemicals". There's lots of info about hazardous chemicals used in new carpet and a dog would be more directly exposed to them than us. I only mention this because you said his allergies started after the inside was done.

pic 2 - the thing with purple bits in the leaves is on another list of dog itchy plants - looks like a "Tradescantia pallida" variety

http://www.karingalvet.com.au/Pet-Care/Dog-Care-/Contact-Allergy-Plants.asp

pic 7 - everything, the grass, the weeds, all of it. but it does depend on the dog

you might want to check what the plant is on the right of pic 1 - if it's a bromilliad probably ok, but if it's a baby palm tree - I've seen those get about 20m high and 1.5m across at the base and they spread seedlings, ie that's the wrong plant in the wrong place. And the date palms - have very spikey leaf tips too. But I can't tell for sure which it is from that picture.