Female Staffie Face Licking Male Cocker

littledrover

Have just started petsitting a 3 year old female Staffie and she keeps licking my 5 yo male English Cocker's face - he's not too happy about this and after a while he gives a low warning growl, result = full on aggression on her part. My cocker is VERY easy going and gets on with all dogs - small to large. At the moment I just use a sharp BAH as soon as she starts and she stops - problem is she keeps on doing it. Other than that they both get on fine. Have had this face licking happen with a couple of other Petsit dogs (Pomeranian and Irish Terrier/kelpie! both females) but they both ceased when given warning. My understanding was that face/lip licking was subservient - the Staffie does a lot of "grovelling" and belly showing but then goes into full on attack mode. Any ideas on what's going on here please? Is she seeing the warning growl as a challenge and automatically reacts?

I stopped a staffy from licking my feet by covering them with taste-bad in my case it was RID insect repellent. The side effect of no licking was accidental but welcome.

So if you can find something that the staffy really doesn't like the taste of - put that where she licks first. The chin of the other dog might be a good spot. For some reason they don't seem to be able to lick their own chins.

I use vics vapour rub to stop licking on furniture (and marking it) but that's not good to put on another dog.

Sounds as if she goes off your list of clients - it's not worth risking your own dog's life!

Oh yes :(. Please don’t take any risks with your own dog. It is coming up to 7 years since one of my dogs was killed by a foster dog. :cry: :cry: I will never forget the horror and live every day with the knowledge that I didn’t protect my own dog.

:( I would keep them separate or find someone (without a dog) to pet sit her. Flying off the handle like that with minimal/no warning is bad and I dread to think of how it could affect your dog. Especially if you're not there or she goes for a grip D:

Thistle had a full blown aggression on her for no (obvious) reason and it's a very slow journey working her through her fear of dogs now. I wouldn't wish that on anyone :(

Have just started petsitting a 3 year old female Staffie and she keeps licking my 5 yo male English Cocker's face - he's not too happy about this and after a while he gives a low warning growl, result = full on aggression on her part. My cocker is VERY easy going and gets on with all dogs - small to large. At the moment I just use a sharp BAH as soon as she starts and she stops - problem is she keeps on doing it. Other than that they both get on fine. Have had this face licking happen with a couple of other Petsit dogs (Pomeranian and Irish Terrier/kelpie! both females) but they both ceased when given warning. My understanding was that face/lip licking was subservient - the Staffie does a lot of "grovelling" and belly showing but then goes into full on attack mode. Any ideas on what's going on here please? Is she seeing the warning growl as a challenge and automatically reacts?

There is a thing Susanne Clothier calls "obnoxious submission". This sounds like it - the "dominant" dog is expected to tolerate unwelcome attention and woe betide him if he doesn't.

I'd not pet sit any dog that displayed aggression to my dog in this manner. Either separate them or find another client. It has to be damn stressful for your dog.

Agree with all the others.... Keep the dogs separated at all times, for your own dog's sake.

The way I understood it is that the OP pet sits in people's home, so the staffs is actually on her own turf (not that it makes that behaviour acceptable). This sort of arrangement would be stressful for all dogs involved...

It wouldn't happen more than once at my place. Any dog behaving in this way would be gone (I'm a foster carer). This is very unsafe and you must put your dog's safety as a top priority. The owner of this dog also needs to know about the dog's behaviour and in future send the dog to a single dog situation.