Ticks In Vic?

Monchichi

Hi VIC Dolers,

just want to let inform you, last night one of our friend in our group had rushed her dog to the Emergency vets in Melbourne, after suspicion that her dog got ticks. They live in Daylesford and had to go to Ballarat Vet to confirmed it was tick that caused her dog to walk funny on her hind leg. later she developed back leg weakness and panting.

I never knew paralysis ticks exist in VIC?

In saying that, do any of you know if Great Ocean road along that coast is ticks free or not? We are planning to go on holidays and stay at Johanna soon. since this ticks issue last night, now I get a bit paranoid.

thanks

In Daylesford? eek1.gif I was down there in the middle of summer last year in winter clothes as it was about 5 degrees.

Surely a freak incident and someones carried it over from the east coast on their clothes/luggage?

From what I know the Great Ocean Road is Paralysis Tick free. They have bush ticks though.

In Daylesford? eek1.gif I was down there in the middle of summer last year in winter clothes as it was about 5 degrees.

Surely a freak incident and someones carried it over from the east coast on their clothes/luggage?

From what I know the Great Ocean Road is Paralysis Tick free. They have bush ticks though.

that's my suspicion too! getting worse these days! just seen tiger snakes found in St Kilda beach too yesterday? :eek:

I had just rang the Murray Street Veterinarian Clinic, Colac, checking about ticks along Great Ocean Road, and apparently only Bush ticks...so LisaCC was correct :thumbsup:

now I wonder if I need to put Advantix on mine before we go...uhm...though the nurse on the phone said no need. But it's up to me she said.

And yes, if you live around Daylesford...I am not sure on which dog club/obedient school this lady went with her dog. However, she had informed the club and community page there too, just in case.

the dog is still in Melbourne Uni vet currently, she is doing well with the treatments apparently :thumbsup: lucky it was found so quick.

Can I do a small hijack to ask if anyone knows about the Dandenongs and southern parts of great dividing range? i.e. I was at Mt Dissapointment today. Have done a run over for burrs and thorns and leeches and things-that-should-not-be-attached-to-the-dog but ticks is not something I know anything about.

Hope the poor dog recovers well. Kudos to the owners for getting on to it quickly. If Tasmania is anything to go by, the paralysis tick (different kind of ixodes but still as problematic) is expanding its range. One of the implications of a warming climate, is that the range of critters like these is likely spreading into areas that previously could be regarded as tick free. The only saving grace down here at the moment is that the population of paralysis ticks seems to be sparse enough that a body check and vigilance is probably adequate.

Can I do a small hijack to ask if anyone knows about the Dandenongs and southern parts of great dividing range? i.e. I was at Mt Dissapointment today. Have done a run over for burrs and thorns and leeches and things-that-should-not-be-attached-to-the-dog but ticks is not something I know anything about.

I live in the Dandenong Ranges - there are bush ticks but definitely no paralysis ticks. We have forest on our block and are one house away from National Park. We have lots of echidnas, possums, wallabies etc and no tick incidents since we have been here. I don't use tick protection up here.

I live in the Dandenong Ranges - there are bush ticks but definitely no paralysis ticks. We have forest on our block and are one house away from National Park. We have lots of echidnas, possums, wallabies etc and no tick incidents since we have been here. I don't use tick protection up here.

That's reassuring! Thanks :o Spending all that time watching for snakes and didn't even think of ticks!

Hi VIC Dolers,

just want to let inform you, last night one of our friend in our group had rushed her dog to the Emergency vets in Melbourne, after suspicion that her dog got ticks. They live in Daylesford and had to go to Ballarat Vet to confirmed it was tick that caused her dog to walk funny on her hind leg. later she developed back leg weakness and panting.

In saying that, do any of you know if Great Ocean road along that coast is ticks free or not? We are planning to go on holidays and stay at Johanna soon. since this ticks issue last night, now I get a bit paranoid.

thanks

This was Sonya with the Sammy right? None of the Ballarat vets carry paralysis tick antitoxin so she had to race the bitch down to Melbourne for treatment. (Bitch is ok now, heart may have been affected a little but she will live. :) ). I did ask if she had been interstate for shows recently, she said no not for months, and that particular bitch had been indoors for the last two weeks (season or maternity duties, I forget which).

She did say that they attend a large regional obedience club each week with another dog, so possibly picked up the tick from there.

We are all hoping like mad that these little beasties have not mutated into a frost-proof variety. Years ago, heartworm was unknown in Victoria except on the Murray, but it is carried by mozzies in most areas here now. :(

The tick from Gordon was not a paralysis tick thankfully, and the cat is fine (customer came back in today). But the little buggers are around :/.

Hi VIC Dolers,

thanks

This was Sonya with the Sammy right? None of the Ballarat vets carry paralysis tick antitoxin so she had to race the bitch down to Melbourne for treatment. (Bitch is ok now, heart may have been affected a little but she will live. :) ). I did ask if she had been interstate for shows recently, she said no not for months, and that particular bitch had been indoors for the last two weeks (season or maternity duties, I forget which).

She did say that they attend a large regional obedience club each week with another dog, so possibly picked up the tick from there.

We are all hoping like mad that these little beasties have not mutated into a frost-proof variety. Years ago, heartworm was unknown in Victoria except on the Murray, but it is carried by mozzies in most areas here now. :(

RuralPug, yes Sonya with Japanese Spitz. and yes, Bella is ok now..back to home the next day. I didn't know if she is showing...not that I know if she is a registered breeder though.

however, it's scary to hear paralysis ticks in VIC :cry: and the past 2 nights seeing in News, 2 tiger snakes found in St Kilda beach...then last night tiger snake invaded suburban house and bit the dog..lucky the dog survived. And according to the news, Lord Smith Hospital Vet said 20 cases of snake bites had been treated this month alone :eek: