Kavik

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Feeling really bad for the owners :(

I haven't seen it but various people have mentioned a photo going around of the owner just sobbing, hugging her dog. On the day her dog won BOB at the biggest dog show in the world.

I've read quite awful posts about how the owner should be charged with abuse. I wouldn't be surprised if she's received threats.

Feeling really bad for the owners :(

I haven't seen it but various people have mentioned a photo going around of the owner just sobbing, hugging her dog. On the day her dog won BOB at the biggest dog show in the world.

I've read quite awful posts about how the owner should be charged with abuse. I wouldn't be surprised if she's received threats.

I wouldn't be surprised frown.gif nor should she be charged with abuse.

Someone elsewhere mentioned the pekingese, i didn't see him, but later watched a vid and he did seem to be really hyperventilating and has an extreme brachy face. As well as a profuse coat, and no apparent legs laugh.gif

I went looking for a then and now comparison of pekes and came across this. they are really no structurally better than GSD's, if not even worse. Yet no backlash surrounding them.

It is unfair to be concentrating solely on the GSD, because it's not just them. Like the recent great dane thread, they too are affected, and countless others. But i am not convinced that we should continue sweeping it all under the carpet, and if it starts with GSD's, it could be for the better in many breeds. Whilst i am sorry for the owner, it may have brought the breeds best wishes into the spotlight for a better outcome into the future.

Pekingese_Ch_Chik_TSun_1960-550x372.jpg

I do recommend going to this link, even if it is just to watch the adorable video of 5 pekes doing steeplechase racing in 1964 laugh.gif

http://www.border-wa...d-a-chance.html

Edited by denali

Here is a short video from Crufts best of breed for German Shepherds. :(

I know nothing about german shepherds or the standards they are supposed to be bred to but if a dog turned up at the pound who walked like that I'd think there was something really medically wrong with it. :o :o :o Seeing that dog ..... I feel really uneducated about what is 'healthy' for that breed. It just looks wrong.

Didn't see the rest of crufts.

Edited by Powerlegs

German Shepherds are supposed to be a WORKING breed, capable of herding sheep, police work, etc. Since the dog at Crufts looks like it can hardly walk, let alone work sheep or chase and bring down a felon, it is a more obvious difference than the Peke which is a companion dog (plus all the hair on the Peke makes it harder to see its structure where the GSD has less hair)

The dog's movement reminds me of racking Tennessee Walkers and Saddlebred horses in the US.

I find everything about that video upsetting, not just the conformation but the handling and the dog's obvious anxiety.

I'd like to read more papers on how the extreme conformation of these dogs affects not just health but functionality as well.

The peke was fine. He wasn't hyperventilating at all.

doesn't look like it was breathing easily in any of the clips i saw :shrug:

And I own a Brachy breed, not as severe

German Shepherds are supposed to be a WORKING breed, capable of herding sheep, police work, etc. Since the dog at Crufts looks like it can hardly walk, let alone work sheep or chase and bring down a felon, it is a more obvious difference than the Peke which is a companion dog (plus all the hair on the Peke makes it harder to see its structure where the GSD has less hair)

i agree, yes. It is a much starker contrast between what it is vs should be for the GSD, but no less important. I also know that you aren't saying it is Kavik.

Just because its to sit on a lap and look pretty doesn't mean it should have no muzzle, bowed front legs and an odd topline.

He is cute though, like a giant pom pom :laugh:

Edited by denali

I don't think anyone should be charged with abuse and feel for the owner who no doubt loves and wants the best for her dog.

My issue is with the way they look/move in general and it isn't just GSD's. There are other breeds that seem to be bred with looks as first priority rather than function, and don't really agree with that.

I think if PB dog fanciers keep trying to ignore these issues they can't be surprised by all the backlash.

I'm not bothered by much but I honestly couldn't finish watching that first clip :(

I don't get on the band wagon of many breeds except Belgian Shepherds but gosh I HATE the way German Shepherds are being bred. Not all breeders are doing this and I love seeing a normal German Shepherd.

Edited by Ivy~Badger

One short video of one dog does not represent a whole breed and its health. Anyone in Sydney over Easter should come see the German Shepherd National show and trial (also herding) for the real life animals that represent the breed in this country

Compare to the GSDs in the Crufts Police dog display

Great display!!! And Springers! :D

Sorry, going off-topic here but TSD did you see the Adrian and Caroline Slater gundog display? I was thinking of Em and Muppet the entire time! :D

Starts around 4:15:00 mark:

One short video of one dog does not represent a whole breed and its health. Anyone in Sydney over Easter should come see the German Shepherd National show and trial (also herding) for the real life animals that represent the breed in this country

I see GSD like that all the time in Perth.

I don't think anyone should be charged with abuse and feel for the owner who no doubt loves and wants the best for her dog.

My issue is with the way they look/move in general and it isn't just GSD's. There are other breeds that seem to be bred with looks as first priority rather than function, and don't really agree with that.

I think if PB dog fanciers keep trying to ignore these issues they can't be surprised by all the backlash.

It isn't backlash. its downright abusive and what surprises me is the amount of people who claim to love dogs being so utterly vicious. Perhaps you haven't visited the Crufts page.

Compare to the GSDs in the Crufts Police dog display

Great display!!! And Springers! :D

Sorry, going off-topic here but TSD did you see the Adrian and Caroline Slater gundog display? I was thinking of Em and Muppet the entire time! :D

Starts around 4:15:00 mark:

Love a bit of crazy Springer action :laugh: Em moves like the bitch that's for sure...think Ginny Muppet has a bit of Setter in there somewhere lol