Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
~Anne~

Olivia's Final Diagnoses

32 posts in this topic

~Anne~   

Does anyone have any experience with palliative care of a dog with epitheliotrophic cutaneous lymphoma?

I'm unsure of what really to expect with Olivia. Today is a good day and she's eaten with gusto, which I'm ecstatic about! Her skin worsens by the day though and it has now spread to about 2/3 of her body.

I'd love to chat with someone who may have been through it with their dog but, as its not common, it's hard find anyone.

This is Olivia today. Her face is worsening by the day too and she has a large lump under one eye at is beginning to grow very rapidly.

post-3413-0-04760800-1467270063_thumb.jpeg

Edited by ~Anne~

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Boronia   

Does anyone have any experience with palliative care of a dog with epitheliotrophic cutaneous lymphoma?

I'm unsure of what really to expect with Olivia. Today is a good day and she's eaten with gusto, which I'm ecstatic about! Her skin worsens by the day though and it has now spread to about 2/3 of her body.

I'd love to chat with someone who may have been through it with their dog but, as its not common, it's hard find anyone.

This is Olivia today. Her face is worsening by the day too and she has a large lump under one eye at is beginning to grow very rapidly.

Hi Anne,

I had read this ages ago and it had stuck in my mind so had a search and found it.

perhaps it is of some help

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2012/11/02/rusty-yorkshire-terrier.aspx

B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
~Anne~   

Thansk, that was really interesting. Unfortunately, the specialists have concluded Olivia's cancer has metastasised due to the changes in her liver and lymph nodes and her anaemia.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stellnme   

No experience with this at all, Anne - just wanted to say how sorry I am that this has happened to Olivia, and hope all is as good as it possibly can be for her in her final days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
~Anne~   

Thanks everyone. It's amazing how quickly it is taking over her body.

It all started only about 8-9 weeks ago when I noticed what looked like a rash on her belly. The vet thought it might have been a contact allergy of some description. I searched the yard for suspect plants, and tried to think of what it could be. I'd not changed washing powders, we had no new rugs or carpets, her diet was the same and our routine was the same. I couldn't think of anything to pin it on.

We came home with neocort, antibiotics and she had a shot of cortisone.

Then she had an issue with her breathing a week or two later. We're still perplexed about this. I rushed her back to the vet but they couldn't find anything that would cause her to be breathing in the way she was. She wasn't struggling as such but she was breathing a lot harder than normal. More tests, X-rays and once overs.

Meanwhile, her skin wasnt improving. The 'rash' was even more red and had spread a little more. Another injection of cortisone, more neocort, and antibiotics were prescribed. By now it was lightly showing on her chest and in her armpits.

Another week or two later and it was very evident that the prescribed antibiotics, cortisone, neocort and bathing in malaseb was having little affect. Further testing was undertaken. Scrapes and cultures showed nothing. Lumps were coming up all over her body and her skin was by now blistering in places.

A stronger cream was prescribed and she was put on prednisone and more antibiotics while a biopsy was undertaken. She was not eating well, was lethargic and obviously very unwell.

It took 2 weeks for the results of the biopsy to come back.

The progression of her disease has been lightning fast. From what seemed to be a simple skin rash 9 weeks ago to her condition today. It's hard to absorb.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
teekay   

This must be so upsetting to watch Olivia go downhill so quickly. Hugs Anne, sorry I have no advice :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
~Anne~   

Thanks everyone.

We're not so good today. She's mainly just wanting to sleep. I got her to eat breakfast and she went straight back to bed after it. One side of her face is swollen a little more and her eye on that side looks sore. I think there is something happening underneath that I can't see. Her breathing is more pronounced too. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anne..I understand the shock.. I have experienced that lightning fast deterioration with one of my dogs ( different disease tho). Are you able to consult a reputable holistic vet by any chance? My Lucinda responded very well to her complementary treatments ( Lucindas holistic vet was a vet who had also studied complementary modalities extensively )

It is in my opinion worth a try in order to make Olivia more comfortable.

Hugs to you

Helen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
~Anne~   

Thanks Helen. She's being made as comfortable as possible but her condition is such that we're measuring days left, and there isn't time to get back up to Sydney to consult anyone else. I've been reassured she's not in any real pain, it's more that's she's feeling weak and unwell.

She's still having good moments and when those moments disappear then it will be time. We've not long come back inside from laying in the sun on the grass. She had a bit of a roll and enjoyed it. It was only short - maybe 10-15 minutes but I could see she was enjoying it. The weakness and wanting to sleep is not overly worrying me, it's more that her breathing is more pronounced.

Kirty, she's on prednisone, Losec (an antacid) and Carafate (a gastro protectant).

The specialist had suggested we have her red cell count tested again on Friday but I just don't see the point. Yes, we will know if it's changed or lowered further, but it is just more tests and stress.

Edited by ~Anne~

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Little suggestion Anne, and I know it may hurt to read. Have a list of the opening hours of local and emergency vets you can call in case Olivia goes downhill and needs to be given her wings ASAP. Not all dogs die peacefully in their sleep and while it hurts to see them go, it is 1000 times worse to see them suffer.

Great to hear that she is still having happy moments and enjoying the sunshine. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
~Anne~   

Thanks PK, we don't have much by way of emergency vets here where I live. We have two vets and one of them does all of the emergencies. I have his mobile number. I only ever had to call him once, and that was when Monte went onto status just before he died, a few years back. David, the emergency vet, was in Sydney and couldn't help me! :eek:

I really should ensure I know of the next option in case that happens again. At the moment, my husband and I are talking daily about when the tiem will be that we have to make the decision. I'm hoping we make the decision at the right time, and just like with Boofy last year, I'll have the vet do a home visit to do it. It's the worst appointment to make but I know it has to be done. :cry:.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Helen. She's being made as comfortable as possible but her condition is such that we're measuring days left, and there isn't time to get back up to Sydney to consult anyone else. I've been reassured she's not in any real pain, it's more that's she's feeling weak and unwell.

She's still having good moments and when those moments disappear then it will be time. We've not long come back inside from laying in the sun on the grass. She had a bit of a roll and enjoyed it. It was only short - maybe 10-15 minutes but I could see she was enjoying it. The weakness and wanting to sleep is not overly worrying me, it's more that her breathing is more pronounced.

Kirty, she's on prednisone, Losec (an antacid) and Carafate (a gastro protectant).

The specialist had suggested we have her red cell count tested again on Friday but I just don't see the point. Yes, we will know if it's changed or lowered further, but it is just more tests and stress.

understand completely. my heart aches for you... may the days you have left to spend in each others company be filled with love and companionship.

Helen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
*kirty*   

I would perhaps ask about giving her a high dose or cortisone if she isn't already on it. It might make her feel a bit better. Poor little lamb. What a horrible disease. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OSoSwift   

I have seen this years ago in a Golden Retriever. I cannot remember exactly how it all panned out though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×