Things Breeders Look For In Potential Owners

Jellyblush

Hi everyone,

Just wondering for the breeders amongst you, what would you hope to hear from a person enquiring about one of your dogs?

I think I'm a decent dog owner. Some of you might remember my thread about my gorgeous rescue Roo, who sadly had to be put to sleep after I realised that despite trying for many years that there was nothing I could do for her anxiety. I've never forgotten the support I got from this forum at that time.

It's two years on, I'm ready to share my life with a dog again, and I've done my research and selected a breed. Not another rescue for me - if they were anxious again it would just break my heart.

However - I'm not getting a lot of luck when enquiring! I realise potential owners should be vetted very carefully, but I'm starting to feel like there's some magic password that I don't know!

So just curious - what do you look for when someone first makes contact to enquire about one of your dogs?

Thanks in advance :)

Jelly

Tell us the breed.

Half the battle with finding a pup is finding the right breeder. And the best way to do it is word of mouth.

ETA: If there is a breed club and a puppy register person, that's where I'd start.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

I remember you Jelly but I can't believe it's been 2 years already. Time runs rally fast these days lol.

There has been a lot of discussion regarding breeders and potential buyers.

Some members say that breeders are busy people and have little spare time. That's OK but I feel it is, if not courteous, That at least a response is given.

From the other side, some enquiries are a waste of time to the reeder, but then again, how does a novice enquirer learn about the chosen breed.

It's a catch 22 position to be in. In my own case, with my chosen breed, I must have been very fortunate, because in each case, when we were looking for a new member of the family to join us, we had no problem with any of the breeders, but I understand, this is not always the case. All the advice I can give you, from an enquirers point of view is just keep trying, I know it is disheartening, but we, also wanted to know where our dogs came from and hopefully meet at the very least, the mother of our pup, gauging temperament, bringing and surroundings, because, we want to be more than sure they pup would fit in not only with my hubby and me, but with our grandchildren.

that's the reason we opted for a breeder

Good luck in your search, and I have the feeling that now some of the breeders of your chosen breed know who you are, may be make it easier for you.

Please don't shape your enquiry to fit what you think the breeder wants.

You may have decided on your chosen breed, but bear in mind that the breeder is most likely to have a LOT more experience with that breed than you. They want to hear your expectations - then they will either fix your misconceptions or praise you for your depth of research. An honest breeder will tell you whether or not the breed is suited to meet your expectations. Perhaps a puppy would not be best for your particular circumstances, but an adult might suit.

A good breeder wants to know how you heard about them, and they want to feel that they can trust you to be honest and forthright. They want you to actually LISTEN to what they are saying, or to absorb what they are writing.

Show respect and be honest and you will find the breeders are willing to help.

Phoning up at 5.30am and squawking "Ya got any pups?" will not win you many friends at all. (That is a general observation, I'm not accusing the OP of doing that!)

If phoning, start with "Is this a good time to discuss with you the process for getting a [insert breed here]?" Most will be happy to arrange a time for a call if right then is not convenient - we all can talk the head off an iron pot about our breed once we get going!!

Edited by RuralPug

I was also going to say that what breeders look for will vary according to breeder and breed.

In the larger picture, they will look for someone who has learned about the breed, considered how it will fit into their home and has realistic expectations about raising and living with one.

They will want to know that you can feed, exercise and care for one of their pups for its life time.

Some capacity to adjust their lives to the dog would be expected.

I'm not a breeder, I'm just popping in here to give you a big hug as a someone who also has experience with an anxious dog (not SA but GAD & OCD). It makes adding a new dog to your family scary doesn't it. :(

I recently went through the process for my parents, and I'm still worried there's going to be problems. When you get closer to getting a pup feel free to PM me as I have some resources for socializing puppies (noises, people, things etc) that you might like.

I do think breeders appreciated that I had done a lot of preliminary research and was asking thoughtful questions if that helps.

So anyway, here's that hug I mentioned. :hug: :)

The first thing I want is for prospective new owners to come and have a look - up close and personal - with dogs of my breed both young and old. Then we can start the discussion about whether an xbreed would suit their family/way of life or not.

So many inquiries come from people who have "done their homework" but have never actually met an xbreed it just sounds nice in theory. I tell people to get out and have a good look at as many types of xbreeds as possibe so that they can make an informed decision about what will suit their family best.

Jelly, it's lovely to see you back on the forum. I agree that it does tend to be word of mouth with some breeds and that its very hard to get breeders to respond. There's no magic formula. Some breeders want lots of info, others don't. Let us know what breed you're keen on.

Some great words of advice already. Both my Dalmatian and field bred ESS were bought after being recommended to speak with particular breeders - funnily enough it wasn't a pick the breed first scenario with my Dally and with my Springer I didn't even know there was a difference between field and show bred dogs :o But I've bred my first litter and the first thing I will tell an interested person is all the worst things about my breeds. Because if you can deal with that then you'll be fine :)

Welcome back Jelly it's great to hear you are ready for another dog :)

Tell us the breed.

Half the battle with finding a pup is finding the right breeder. And the best way to do it is word of mouth.

ETA: If there is a breed club and a puppy register person, that's where I'd start.

I agree, word of mouth would be your best bet.

Does the breed have fun days, gatherings etc? I'd try to get along to one and meet up with people "in the know". People here who followed your journey with Roo would understand the work you put in for her but it's hard to explain to someone who hasn't followed it so I probably wouldn't go into it unless you are able to have a good chat in person ideally. Just work on getting to know people in the breed and the lines and go from there.

Best of luck finding your new friend!

welcome back!

I have found breeders a nightmare to get a response from and both times i ended up getting advice on who to contact from dolers ( one who didn't even breed my breed, but knew who to try! :thumbsup: ).Which is hard as i like a certain type and getting no reply is frustrating.

Asking here is the best start, it gets your foot in the door.

gawd knows how members of the public get a purebred if my experiences are anything to go on.