Is It Ok To Wash A Dog With Human Shampoo?

My dog had a wonderful time with a bone last night and stinks today, not to mention dirty legs etc from her early morning romp. I really think I need to give her a bath before we go/take her anywhere today. Only have human shampoo, Palmolive Aroma Therapy (combination hair) we can use. I only want to give her a quick surface wash so would it be ok to use this, diluted if necessary?

Hi

Well I used the shampoo I had on hand, just did her white bits, legs and chest. She was a really good girl, didnt really protest about standing in our bath even though it was a strange experience for her. Now shes gone a bit loony as some dogs do when theyve just had a bath. Smells good now though :swear:

(teeth looking real clean after the bone episode too!)

Guest LittlePixie

Thanks for asking this question, chezzyr, I've been meaning to ask for days :swear:

I would have said no???

The pH levels of our skin are totally different to that of a dog so it's not recommended to use human shampoo on dogs. Once in a while would be ok as long as your dog doesn't have sensitive skin.

Now you're ready to let the fun begin! Always use shampoo designed especially for your animal. Human shampoo is not made for dogs and cats; it can be harmful to their skin, drying it out and destroying their natural oils

-http://www.lovemypet.com.au/advice/dog/essential-grooming-basics.htm

Can I use human shampoo?

Dogs have very different skin and hair growth to humans. Dogs have thinner skin, different types of sweat glands and a more rapid turnover of skin cells. They also have more hair that is grouped as bundles that grow and then are shed rather than solitary hairs that continually grow. Dog skin is also pH neutral whereas human skin tends to be more acidic. Because of these differences we recommend only using specially formulated pet shampoos and skin treatments rather than human shampoo.

Can I use laundry detergents to wash my dog?

Products such as Martha Gardener's Wool MixÔ should not be used on animals' skin. These detergents have an inappropriate pH, often due to extremely high levels of alkali salts (ie. caustic soda) and inappropriate neutral surfactants (detergents) that strip the skin and hair coat of sebum (oil). Many of these products also contain eucalyptus oil, which is toxic to dogs and cats.

-http://www.kvh.com.au/Washing%20The%20Dog.html (KVH is the vet hospital my mum takes our pets to in Melb. I would call them trustworthy, they have been good in my exp.)

This is always one of those questions, once certainly isn't going to hurt, as long as you do not have a dog with a skin issue.

Myself, yes I do use human products on my dogs, no, I have never had a skin reaction or bad skin or coat as a result. Maybe it is to do with the quality of products used, I have no idea. All I can say is that I have used them for many years on the same dogs with no issues.

I also use some human products on my horses :swear:

I wouldn't do it everytime or even all that often... usually just for shows... BUT even saying that... I am about to go to HEAPS of shows so I will probably end up buying something expensive dog shampoo to waste on him... Lol!

Cheers

Edited by Ashanali

she sounds just like her mum Tinsel!! she goes loopy when being towelled off. Human Shampoo ;) by me, just make sure it is diluted, I have never known her to have an allergy to shampoo's, not her family.

Cheers Kate

One of the better brands of ladies shampoo & conditioners for my Cavalier, well rinsed out, no problems and he looks great afterwards. Smells lovely too.

Brag alert,

Best in Group at today's Champ show. ;)

Johnson's no more tears baby shampoo/conditioner here.

Probably tested on beagles once upon a time ;) , but it's actually lovely and makes Indy smell bootiful, gives him a smooth shiny coat and serious mad zoomies!

Also says it has a neutral pH. If it's good enough for skin babies...

Congrats Ashka!

Have used human stufff for 20 plus yrs,my current show kids are pee feathered bathed every night in human stuff & full bathed every wednesday & showdays.

Dogs with sensitive skins we use head/shoulders or selsum blue but my 2 boys are pantene kids

Guest Ishtar

"The pH levels of our skin are totally different to that of a dog so it's not recommended to use human shampoo on dogs."

I agree, but I have washed my dog sometimes with human shampoo when the dog shampoo has ran out. IMO human shampoo makes the coat lustreless and dry. Human hair balsam, which has silicone, is good for shows because it will give strenght and shine. Although it is just an illusion because the silicone doesn´t actually repair the hair, it only covers up the damaged parts. After the show the dog must be washed with special deepcleansing shampoo in order to get the silicone off.

There are plenty of good quality dog shampoos, why don´t you use those?

I saw a vet flyer recently where someone had used the human shampoo on a staffy - it had burnt a large mark down its back. The people were naturally distraught - poor dog. So I think a lot safer not to. A peke breeder told mum it was what she did but they have a thick coat unlike a staffy.

It sounds as if the shampoo would have done the same to humans!!!

I use human shampoo on smooth coats and long coats, no worries.

Obviously some folk disagree, if you are worried then don't use it.

I seriously wonder what they actually used to burn skin,that had to be some very harsh product maybe more than just shampoo.

I use human shampoos becuase they have given my the best results on my long coats & have never ever done any damage,as to washing out with a clarifying stuff that is used when a change of product is to be used or otherwise every few months ,it isnt designed as a weekly product & that will ruin coats & hair long term.

The only dog product i do use is one for a white coat but even then he is still done with human stuff aswell & for 20 plus yrs of great coats results im not changing

Worth mentioning that the 'hardness' of the water can also have an effect. I know of a dog washed regularly in human shampoo, one day the owners were stopping with friends in another part of the country thenight before a show - used the same shampoo and ended up with a very lank coat - only difference was the water type!

I agree the water can change the results ,i now i get good results in my state but when i go east for shows the coats there do tend to come up even better,water can play a major even in dilution rates ,if diluting & not sure i have used distilled water for that part

I've had advice from 2 different directions....1 tibbie breeder with dogs with magnificent coats said never to use a human shampoo on my girls. BUT another tibbie breeder with dogs with magnificent coats told me how she always uses Johnson's Baby Shampoo....first mixed with a little water.