Re-Toilet Training And Old Dog

MadWoofter

Fleming is now an old dog :cry:

Apart from the general health issues age brings (which are being managed), I've noticed that he is forgetting the cues he usually gives me to let me know that he wants to go out to toilet. Last night he weed in the back room even though the back door was open for him to go into the yard (his sight is going so maybe he didn't realise it was open).

I am re-starting basic toilet training, so taking him out when he wakes and after he's eaten. Is there any way I can help him remember the cues he used to give me? (ie he'd go to the back door and bark to be let out was the main one). Any other suggestions?

Something else which may be not helping is that he is inside all day when I'm at work, and he doesn't hold on to toilet as long as he used to. He has access to the back room and I don't have an issue with him weeing in that room (the floors are rubbish anyway), so I am quite prepared to deal with wee when I leave him inside for long periods of time. It is cleaned up as soon as I come home, or as soon as I find an accident with floor wash, vinegar and nil-odour.

Maybe weeing here is becoming a habit? (it's only been going on for a few weeks). Is there anything else I can add (or remove from) the floor wash to get rid of the smell?

Maybe just take him out regularly instead of waiting for him to tell you? Of course the fact that he wee's inside while you are away doesn't help but you know that. Could you throw down some old towels for him to wee on, they are easily washed.

I would have to agree with Kavik. Could also be that he just does not realise he wants to go until it is too late. A vet check would be a good idea to check out his urinary system, prostate, kidneys etc.

Thanks for the tips. He had a thorough vet check just a few weeks ago including all the kidney & level markers and everything was OK. He's due back late next week for a follow-up so I'll bring it up with the vet then in case anything has changed in the last few weeks.

I think the bolded bit from Trifecta hits most of it on the head, but I will definitely not be ignoring raising it with the vet as well. I just need to be a bit more vigilant in taking him out more often

Another issue with older doggies like Fleming and Frodo can be a touch of arthritis - not much incentive to leap to the feet when they know it is going to ouch the joints a little or a lot - so they put it off too long. Plus like older people, they need to pee a bit more often than when muscles were younger and well toned. And if it's cold outside they feel the cold more keenly. All the issues combine, including what Trifecta said.

Frodo used to bark near the door when younger: now he gives a tiny whine from his bed, need to be tuned in to it constantly to pick up on it in time. Funny he can still bark if he thinks a meal is running late: hasn't lost his sense of what's important to tell me.

I :heart: Fleming

Some good points here. I'll only add that when you see them wake up, before they do the awake-shake and start toddling around take them straight outside. Seniors can sleep long and soundly, I think their bladder fills up and once they get moving they realise a pee is on it's way!

edit; except now I see you're doing that already laugh.gif Doh

Edited by Powerlegs

I use an enzyme-based spray for urine. On the pack of urine-off it mentions that you need to spray beyond where it's wet as the urine spreads from underneath. This was for carpet but I think the same would occur with some other flooring i.e. Lino.

If you don't mind him going indoors and/or think not being able to get outside in time might be an issue, perhaps you could get one of those indoor pet loo things.

I would say if your relying on the bark then you need to find a new alternative to let you now ,whether that be a mat that allows you to hear him at the door .

I would tend to agree that being allowed to pee inside becomes the easy option now so no real need to let you now as its acceptable behaviour,chances are during the day at first he was barking with no response & has given up .

I would be looking at setting an area up with false turf or real turf in the room if that is going to be the toilet option .

My friends use real turf & its placed in a tray ,taken out to be watered etc etc & it works very well

I highly recommend these!!CONNI CRITTER PADS I leave one or two down , or use them for bedding for old dogs ... :) Easily washed, and dry really quickly.

You are the classic shopping enabler Perse rofl1.gif just ordered 3 large ........ and an awesome waterproof picnic rug because it's half price.