Desex Or Not?

Boronia

Naughty Henry chased the chooks

sigh....

Norty henry scold.gif Chooks are irresistible to some!

edit; I forgot to mention his ears. Have them flushed while desexing but also get a deep pathology swab of each ear first. Sometimes they can have more than one bacterial or fungal growing in there that are resistant to regular ear treatments. I had a guy with 3 different types, he went on specific drops which were full-on and not cheap but worked, one bottle for each ear so you don't accidentally spread it. smile.gif Short answer is no, sounds like what he was given is inadequate for what he has living in there.

Edited by Powerlegs

hello henry ! glad you're keeping the new owner in shape , and sorting out your exercise regime by using the chooks ! well, exercise is good, but chooks - well, you'll get feathers up yr nose, and poo on yr paws ...not pleasant .

You will have a wonderful life , learn new things, and be loved . :)

Guest crazydoglady99

Dear Henry..

Do you realise how lucky you are to have scored retirement with Boronia??

Lap it up you lucky ducky!!!

Well done Boronia. Hope he brings a little sunshine into your life :)

B Henry is a fantastic name for an older westie - and he's gorgeous! heart.gif

As to the marking inside - yep you guessed it - Mac marked inside too when he first arrived out of the puppy farm. So agree with juice and tdierikx - I just puppy trained him and he soon cottoned on - a doggie door helped enormously too for a ex puppy farm boy like him. And yes I think desexing will help (it certainly seemed to help Mac).

More pics!! provoke.gif

Edited by westiemum

Only two tiny wees inside today so things are looking up.

He is now separated from the chooks while they are out of their pen so I'll need to do some training work there, it's a pity that I don't have a chook with chickens as they usually beat up dogs, or even a gutsy rooster; I only have a Silkie rooster called Dora...

enough said :laugh:

I got a heap of gunge out of his ear today but will get the vet to re-check it next week, at least his ear is clean and hopefully the drops will help remove the infection. He likes his ears being done and also likes having a brush though he doesn't have much coat to work on.

I'll post some more photos of him tomorrow, some of his fat tum

He looks like a miniature pig-dog!

Thanks DOLers for your support and wise words (except Perse who is just being silly :rofl:)

Definitely desex and you can then start housetraining.

I've taken on many old dogs, males and females who weren't desexed and had never been inside.

A Westie is a smart dog and I find terriers are the best to housetrain, quick on the uptake.

Praise, reward and repetition and give it a name such as "do wees". Take him outside every time he's eaten or drunk and tell him "do wees", when he goes give him a treat. Just take him on short walks several times a day at first and practice the same thing, every time he goes it is the best thing you've ever seen. If he has an accident you say nothing but you can put him outside and ask him to go.

Cleaning up with white vinegar and water mix or Napisan and water will stop the lingering scent inside.

I can't offer advice on the birds, my Westie cross was an avid hunter of birds and lizards all his life ...

Good luck and congrats! :thumbsup: